Should changes should be made to the high school game?

Watching the NIT this week experiment with some rule changes in the college game gave me some ideas that could possibly help the high school game.

The game of basketball like other sports and peoples has evolved greatly over the years.

I feel that the game is at a point where it could evolve more.

Here are some ideas / changes I would make to the high school game and the reasons for them.

Change #1 - Watching the threads this year I noticed many people talking about being out late at night for games called supers where all the teams play in one night. I would change the high school game to be like the college game and make the game 16 minutes halves. Each team would be granted two full timeouts and two 30 second timeouts with a mandatory under 8 minute full timeout in each half at the occurrence of a dead ball. If a team gets down 30 then the game will have a running clock. I believe all this will help with the flow of the games as well as help manage substitutions better. For the JV games the games would have 12 minute halves with a mandatory under 6 minute timeout in each half.

Change #2 - Referees should not be able to stop a game after a made possession to discuss whether it was a two or a three point shot that was made. There needs to be a place and time for it. If a team scores a basket and it puts them up one and the other team is coming down the floor with ball in hand already play should not be stopped at anytime that would disrupt the flow of the game and give an obstacle to the team with the ball that would prevent them the opportunity to tie or take the lead in a game. If play is stopped and the team with ball in hand is made to throw the ball in again while the officials discuss the call then the team with the lead has a chance to set up their.defense which otherwise might be in a scramble situation or unorganized allowing the team with ball in hand the chance to score. I saw this happen a couple of times during the year this year at critical times. So not stoppage in play while play is going on. If there is a question it should be addressed in a manner that does not disrupt a teams possession.

Change #3 - Fouls. If the team foul limit reaches 7 could before 8 minutes all fouls will be one and one no matter the number. After the 8 minute mandatory timeout all team fouls are reset to zero in both the first and second halves. This should help allow more focus on play during g the game while still allowing for end of half and end of game situations at the ends of each halves.

These are a few ideas I have. I feel that they would be of use to the high school game and help it become a greater tool for player development.

High school is no place for a shot clock...it will only lead to rushed offense, poor shot selection and thus, lower scores.

College ball has a better chance at going to quarters than high schools do at going to halves...NCAA women's hoops went to quarters this season. 

Refs are allowed to stop the game for a scoring error...it is a matter of getting the score correct, regardless of whether or not it mess with the "flow" of the game.

Women's NCAA basketball already uses four 10-minute quarters.  The same could easily be done for the men's game.  I'm not sure how necessary it is though.  Referee stoppage of play has gotten out of hand.  I saw more than a few instances last weekend where a referee stoppage iced a free throw shooter.  Most NCAA Division-1 games and all NCAA Tournament games have an alternate official on stand-by.  He should be in charge of making the call while play continues and the game officials confirm at the next timeout.

As GMan said, high school basketball is no place for a shot clock by-in-large.  Coaches don't have enough time as it is to coach fundamentals.  High school games are not played to a high level anyway. Add a rushed environment and the level play would suffer greatly.  Oak Hill type schools may be different but not for typical high school play like we experience around here.  

IMO, I believe a 30 second shot clock in the high school game would be great.  Like CityofRaven stated above, poor shot selection (3 point shot on a 3on1 fast break) already exists.  Seen that a few times myself this year at Richlands games!!!  lol.  

Anyway, back to the topic.  First and foremost it would eliminate holding the ball.  That definitely makes for boring basketball IMO

IMO, I believe a 30 second shot clock in the high school game would be great.  Like CityofRaven stated above, poor shot selection (3 point shot on a 3on1 fast break) already exists.  Seen that a few times myself this year at Richlands games!!!  lol.  

Anyway, back to the topic.  First and foremost it would eliminate holding the ball.  That definitely makes for boring basketball IMO

Yeh, with a shot clock, you would have scores like 29-24 and both teams shooting about 18% from the field...yeh, that makes for excitement right there...

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/shot-clock-in-high-school-basketball-the-debate-continues/

The arguments against the rule, Wynns said, include:

• The high school game does not need the shot clock. It is in good shape as it is.
• A shot clock takes away strategy from some coaches to slow the ball down to match up to the opponent.
• Some committee members are opposed to “state adoption” because everyone should be playing the same game.
• Education-based basketball does not warrant that student-athletes and coaches play to entertain the public.

The last also is a key point...high school basketball isn't played to "entertain the public".  If you want that, watch that joke they call the NBA...

Here are a few rule changes that I would like to see.

First is not a rule change at all.  But simply call intention fouls what they are. Especially at the end of the game.

Change the rule that if a player intentionally throws the ball off of another player on out of bounds the ball goes to the team that did not throw the ball.

No time out can be awarded if a player has picked up his dribble. NONE.

No ten second reset on dead ball in the back court unless the ball is kicked,

Move three point line back at least a foot.

Get rid of the arrow and go back to jump ball.

Not in favor of a shot clock unless it in 50 seconds or more,  Also difficult enough to find competent score board operator (Princeton) would be even tougher to get competent shot clock operator.  I've done this job at college and it's not always as easy as it looks.

Allow all players that have not fouled out an extra foul every two OT periods.

Gman, our opinions differ but I am not sure how a shot clock would make scores in the 20's.  I don't believe a 30 second shot clock would rush these players into bad shots.  If the team cant find a decent shot in 30 seconds, there is something wrong.  But like I said, high school having a shot clock is just my opinion.

I am a big fan of the shot clock idea in high school basketball. I don't think that it would make players take stupid or unnecessary shots but teach them the difference between a smart and a dumb shot. Also, I have seen many games in the past where there could be about 3-4 min left in the 4th quarter and the winning team can run as much time off the clock without penalty at all. While this is a smart way to win the game because there are no written rules against it, I believe if you implement a shot clock and lets say a team is down by 10 with about 4 min left to go in the game they have a much better opportunity of making a comeback or at least making it more interesting than just watching the winning team play catch for the final min. A shot clock needs to happen

at least making it more interesting than just watching the winning team play catch for the final min. A shot clock needs to happen

Again...

• Education-based basketball does not warrant that student-athletes and coaches play to entertain the public.

Again...

No, but the money that rolls in sure does.

There should absodamnlutely be a shot clock, but it should be :45. Dean Smithing this sport does the kids no good. Any team of teenagers should be able to run an offensive set in :45. You aren't sacrificing fundamentals one iota by forbidding stall ball.

Possession rarely take longer than 30 secs, 45 would be perfectly fine. All i want added is advancement of the ball at the end of the game by a time out. Adds more emphasis on your timeouts and adds to the drama of the game.

From a coaching perspective, I would have to disagree vehemently with a shot clock. The petty argument that teams "it would keep teams from holding the ball," is a non-issue. Sure, some teams from time to time decide to freeze the ball but this is not an epidemic and it is not an issue. Furthermore, the adaptation of the shot clock was designed for monetary reasons. IMO the use of a shot clock in h.s. would be a detriment to fundamentals. In the grand scheme of things it would/could hurt the overall quality of basketball down the line. (due to fundamentals being impacted). If a shot clock were to ever be implemented, I would support at least :45, I do think that smaller schools would be impacted negatively by a shot clock, especially teams with a small roster. 

I would like to see the jump ball implemented again and the possession arrow done away with on jump ball situations. I also cannot see an advantage to moving the three point line back. IMO, the very implementation of the three point line, in many ways, has been detrimental to player development, (we all know that smaller kids, fall in love with the 3, long before they have enough strength to properly shoot the shot). 

I am of the opinion that any changes that are done to "add to the drama of the game," "make it more exciting," "help sell more tickets, " is the wrong mindset to have when desiring changes to the game. The games will provide the drama, we aren't in the entertainment business and we aren't trying to sell advertising on t.v. When we take that approach to making changes, we have already lost the purpose of why we play and coach the game.

Just some random thoughts....

Here are a few rule changes that I would like to see.

First is not a rule change at all.  But simply call intention fouls what they are. Especially at the end of the game.

Change the rule that if a player intentionally throws the ball off of another player on out of bounds the ball goes to the team that did not throw the ball.

No time out can be awarded if a player has picked up his dribble. NONE.

No ten second reset on dead ball in the back court unless the ball is kicked,

Move three point line back at least a foot.

Get rid of the arrow and go back to jump ball.

Not in favor of a shot clock unless it in 50 seconds or more,  Also difficult enough to find competent score board operator (Princeton) would be even tougher to get competent shot clock operator.  I've done this job at college and it's not always as easy as it looks.

Allow all players that have not fouled out an extra foul every two OT periods.

Indont agree w your first proposed change. It's smart basketball to bounce the ball off a guy to save possession. I see nothing wrong w that.

Again...

No, but for kids who aspire to play at the college level, it will introduce them to the idea of having to be aware of a shot clock.