Rivalry Game(s)

Tigers_07

7 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Heartbreaking moment for everybody.  Heck of a game and shame it had to end that way, which I might add was questionable from many perspectives...but more of a shame because that missed XP was the last thing from TJ Rasnick and we all know the story there.

I was there that cold cold snowy day.  As happy as I was the Blues walked away with the win,  my heart was heavy for "my buddy" with the missed XP. 

spelling , your right, no job wrong, 30 years at being a cop, two of which i spent in WEBER CITY. 4YEARS as a MARINE ,served in BEIRUT with 2/6.DONT say thank you for your service because I dont need it, yes you pissed me off leatherhead larry,not because of the spell check but i guess thats all you know how to do ,because you have never done anything that would be qualified as important or knowing anything about self sacrafice, so go ahead a spell check me but dont assume that we dont work here in big stone gap sorry to big ugly vol because i didnt mean to include you

On 7/16/2017 at 11:18 AM, big ugly vol said:

The longer we're at Ridgeview the more I hate everything about it. Loved the grass at Ralph's house. The worst fields I've ever played on were St. Paul and Hurley. I hate watching games at Ridgeview 163 feet from the field, I could see about as good from my porch at home. Gate City fans back in the day were the worst I ever saw. They seem better now for whatever reason.

On 7/22/2017 at 0:05 PM, Leatherhead Larry said:

Idk what is more sad. The fact that Union fans think they can fill up the home and away side. Or the fact you're a Union "fan" and don't know how to spell "Bullitt Park" correctly. 

But anyways,

1) I'll have a seat because I'm always there when the gates open. 

2) I don't really need a seat because I stand the whole game. 

3) If there are that many Union fans waiting to get into the gate way before I do, I say y'all need to go find a job instead of just hanging out at BULLITT not Bullet all day. 

Regarding seating at GC.

The "home" side is all  reserved for season ticket holders. The end near the scoreboard is for the band, and the very end near the concession stand MIGHT be open to anyone. Not sure. 

If you are a GC fan without season tickets, you have to sit on the other side. The GC fans on that side do not sit there trying to take seats away from the visiting team. They sit there because they do not have season tickets. 

Fairly simple. 

I don't mind the fans sitting on the same side. As long as people are not jerks. Sometimes a portion of the GC fans can be that way. I've seen and heard of it. Sometimes a portion of the Union fans can be. 

But to suggest that people in Big Stone don't have lives or jobs is comical. Don't be thick. 

Wow! This much hate being generated and Gate City and Union don't play for 2 1/2 months, they will be shooting bazooka's at each other by game time. I am a Gate City Alum and I hated Powell Valley not because of the games but because of the fans, it still is the only games I ever been too, where a PV fan threatened my son, who was six at the time, for cheering for GC, and two years later a man followed my wife and I to our vehicle and told us to be careful on the way home because he would be following us. I don't hold any hard feeling for Union, they are good team who has yet to establish a tradition, that comes from being a new school. I would be very careful to say that someone doesn't know about self sacrifice just because they have never served in the military, that is a slippery slope. Every team has bad fans and every fan has the potential to be bad, just remember that  it still is just a game!

50 minutes ago, SXSW said:

Wow! This much hate being generated and Gate City and Union don't play for 2 1/2 months, they will be shooting bazooka's at each other by game time. I am a Gate City Alum and I hated Powell Valley not because of the games but because of the fans, it still is the only games I ever been too, where a PV fan threatened my son, who was six at the time, for cheering for GC, and two years later a man followed my wife and I to our vehicle and told us to be careful on the way home because he would be following us. I don't hold any hard feeling for Union, they are good team who has yet to establish a tradition, that comes from being a new school. I would be very careful to say that someone doesn't know about self sacrifice just because they have never served in the military, that is a slippery slope. Every team has bad fans and every fan has the potential to be bad, just remember that  it still is just a game!

You are right. 

The bad behavior from fans goes both ways. I have seen it from people in the Big Stone/Appalachia area and the Gate City area. I am an 06 PV graduate. I took a girl from Gate City to prom who was a very close friend. Some of the people from my school sent anonymous messages to her threatening to vandalize our belongings. I was sick. 

On on the other hand, I have experienced threats of bodily harm from Gate City fans while visiting Gate City band friends during third quarter. I have watched Gate City fans make sexual gestures toward Powell Valley cheerleaders and some trying to instigate with a passionate fan in PV's (now even more passionate with Union) fan base who has some mental issues. 

My point:

It does very clearly come from both fan bases. I will be quick to own up to it when PV fans acted like gits. I will be quick to own up to it when people from Union act like complete gits.

Many of the GC people with whom I have associated are excellent people. Some are insolent gits. 

Every fan base has them. Anyone who believes otherwise is a complete nutter. 

Union has no tradition?excuse me? playoffs every year, final four in 2015,all state players, four star national recruit,one of the best head coaches around,huummm? You are right ,no state ring,but its just a matter of time. Granted Gate City has won state 5 times since 1956, while Powell Valley won it 8 times, and Appalachia 6 times. Union girls made the finals in basketball and vollyball, while Gate CITY HAS WON BOTH SO MANY TIMES they should re-name the trophy "GATE CITY CUP".My comment "self sacrifice can only be understood by those by those who have served, does that make me better?no, but with a greater since of what it would be like not to have freedom and even the freedom of speech to say "big stone gap people need to get a job".There is no doubt that we all support and love our football programs,the text I shared was and still is a pun at the fact that Gate City takes all of the home side and half of what is normally considered the visitor side, and not the visitor section as one said.We love good teams at Union, lord knows we seen one at APPOMATTOX,we could learn alot at UNION and GATE CITY from them on how to host a game and how to treat the visitors. That community had lost a student in the early morning hours on game day, but they united and treated us like gold, they even honored our cheerleader who lost her mother in the next game. So yes , we all have a lot to learn about sportsmanship and what it is to be a great fan

Well, I think we have learned that, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Union is building a nice program, time will tell if it continues (the economy of Wise County will dictate that) I would like to see a Southwest Virginia school win another State Title, but I'm not gonna hold my breath for it any time soon. I am sorry Jarhead that if Gate City fans treated you badly in the past. Maybe we can find you a "safe place" so all will be well with you.

18 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

spelling , your right, no job wrong, 30 years at being a cop, two of which i spent in WEBER CITY. 4YEARS as a MARINE ,served in BEIRUT with 2/6.DONT say thank you for your service because I dont need it, yes you pissed me off leatherhead larry,not because of the spell check but i guess thats all you know how to do ,because you have never done anything that would be qualified as important or knowing anything about self sacrafice, so go ahead a spell check me but dont assume that we dont work here in big stone gap sorry to big ugly vol because i didnt mean to include you

You're at a 10.  Let's dial that back to a 2.

SAFE PLACE.....HAHAHAHAHA,,I carry my safeplace with me, cant say the Gate City has ever treated me bad,love the school community and pride,the only thing that offended me was the statement "we need to get a job in BIG STONE GAP"., I am still called BULLDOG by my friends from SCOTT COUNTY S.O., come meet me on the visitors side at the GATE CITY/ UNION game , I will be talking to TERRY KILGORE,or JUDGE KILGORE or YOUR AD all of which I consider close friends,and me being at a 10 ,come on man you have to be kidding ,its more like a.00005 , I wondered why my comments drew so much attention, but then i realized that there are no positives going on at GATE CITY FOOTBALL, or at UVAWISE/WISE CENTRAL 

2 hours ago, SXSW said:

Well, I think we have learned that, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Union is building a nice program, time will tell if it continues (the economy of Wise County will dictate that) I would like to see a Southwest Virginia school win another State Title, but I'm not gonna hold my breath for it any time soon. I am sorry Jarhead that if Gate City fans treated you badly in the past. Maybe we can find you a "safe place" so all will be well with you.

As sad as it makes me Gate city, has the best potential out of everyone to get a state championship in the next 10-15 years. They will be the least affected by the economy and their population should grow when Sullivan finally does what it's going to do. But. My question is can they avoid 3a.

There are and have been serious discussions by the powers that be in Scott County about limiting the numbers on out of state kids, I personally have two nephews and a niece that live in Carter's Valley who have attended Scott Co. schools from Kindergarten on and many other people from that area's children do also because of the joke that Hawkins County schools are. Gate City's freshman class has the potential to be a special group, but time will tell. The issue of being 3A will not rear it's head for a few more years, but I see all of Southwest Virginia's high schools 3A in 10-15 years not because of population growth but because of consolidation. Wise County may be the first place it happens, I have heard grumblings about a couple years ago. It will be the only option for the counties effected by losing all those students.

15 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

WHEN Eastside closes?  Didn't know that was a thing?

It's been a rumor for a while. I think they are hoping for Burton and Eastside to close at the same time to help balance Union and Central a little better.

17 hours ago, mw0729 said:

Gate city's freshman class??? The football team currently has one freshman on its roster and participating in workouts! 

Let me understand this a little better. Are you saying that there is only 1 freshman on the varsity team or that there is only 1 kid in the entire 9th grade class that is playing football period???

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

Let me understand this a little better. Are you saying that there is only 1 freshman on the varsity team or that there is only 1 kid in the entire 9th grade class that is playing football period???

One freshman playing football period!

Just now, mw0729 said:

One freshman playing football period!

How is that possible?  There has to be more.  I mean every community has groups of kids that play football and other sports.  But if it is true, that is a very bad sign for the future. 

Wait!  Are the rest of the Freshman playing JV?   No he did say "One Freshman playing football period!"