Worst place to play or see a game

stu_bean

12 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Wonder if any of that has carried over to Riverview?  Has anyone been there and have tales of how the fans and situation are?

Riverview is not nearly as bad as Big Creek was, but the watering down of community pride in McDowell and Riverview being a doormat's doormat since its opening in virtually every sport tends to damper the redneckosity of the vocal minority.

• 2 weeks later...

5 hours ago, GHS89 said:

Richlands is the one place I absolutely will not watch a game.  Visitor's side is indeed horrible.

Have you ever been to Grundy? Horrible visitor side, PA right in your face and turned up to 11, bad angles, bad lighting. Makes Richlands visitor side seem like Mitchell. ?

5 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Have you ever been to Grundy? Horrible visitor side, PA right in your face and turned up to 11, bad angles, bad lighting. Makes Richlands visitor side seem like Mitchell. ?

Plus the PA guy is a homer from hell.  Between him and the Twin Springs PA guy, I am not sure who's ass I'd like to kick most.

32 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Do most say something to the effect of... "Sure looked like that should've been pass interference there..."

If so, I haven't heard it.

Ive heard that before...also heard one say "right" or "left" every time giles runs a sweep that way

6 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Lets not forget the parking and the field of dirt, not grass come late season.  Oh and also the extra pushes or late hits to players of color that refs never seem to see.  I will say I have personally not had a "bad" experience yet...

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Plus the PA guy is a homer from hell.  Between him and the Twin Springs PA guy, I am not sure who's ass I'd like to kick most.

I do have to agree with the 1950's style horns and his voice it was a pleasure when the sound system went out the last few times on the visitor side.  All announcers should be for their home team but there is a limit to it and Grundy goes well beyond.  Seriously how long does it take to say golden wave?  Not the 10 seconds he stretches it out to be lol

On 7/31/2017 at 10:26 AM, stu_bean said:

Lets not forget the parking and the field of dirt, not grass come late season.  Oh and also the extra pushes or late hits to players of color that refs never seem to see.  I will say I have personally not had a "bad" experience yet...

I do have to agree with the 1950's style horns and his voice it was a pleasure when the sound system went out the last few times on the visitor side.  All announcers should be for their home team but there is a limit to it and Grundy goes well beyond.  Seriously how long does it take to say golden wave?  Not the 10 seconds he stretches it out to be lol

1. You do understand that the home school doesn't pick officials? So we can't pick our racists friends to the call the game.

2. Speaking of the 1950s, who the hell uses the word "colored" anymore. What sort of asinine backasswards world do you live in?  Maybe you should spend less time out milking ol' Mable and more time checking out the 21st century. 

3. The PA  is obnoxious, but he can't hold a candle to Slick Cook and the Richlands Radio Goon Squad or Jackasses that inhabit the press box at Tazewell.  I seem to recall that for years Tazewell would read out every score from every game they had won versus their opponent since they played in a cow pasture (always skipped the losses btw).  

4. The seating on the visitor side at Grundy might be bad, but at least the visitor side of the field isn't dangerous for players. How many people have been injured because the bleaches are right on top of the sidelines at Tazewell?

3 hours ago, ValiantAardvark said:

3. The PA  is obnoxious, but he can't hold a candle to Slick Cook and the Richlands Radio Goon Squad

If you're talking about Ron Brown's crew, then you are crazy. He get's animated in big moments, but EVERY radio guy should. It brings excitement to the broadcast. And he is certainly not a goon. 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

If you're talking about Ron Brown's crew, then you are crazy. He get's animated in big moments, but EVERY radio guy should. It brings excitement to the broadcast. And he is certainly not a goon. 

Didn't Richlands have 2 radio broadcasts for a period of time?  I recall listening to one that was not Ron Brown and was just filled with the most slack-jawed, gooberish commentary imaginable.

4 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Didn't Richlands have 2 radio broadcasts for a period of time?  I recall listening to one that was not Ron Brown and was just filled with the most slack-jawed, gooberish commentary imaginable.

We still have 2 crews. The 540am crew, which is Ron Brown's, and then the Star 95 crew. 

Its gonna be fun when Blacksburg comes to Richlands. Not only does Richlands have 2 stations covering all their games, Blacksburg has 2 stations as well, and I'll be on one of those crews. 

Whwre are they gonna fit 4 radio crews? Lol. 

13 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

We still have 2 crews. The 540am crew, which is Ron Brown's, and then the Star 95 crew. 

Its gonna be fun when Blacksburg comes to Richlands. Not only does Richlands have 2 stations covering all their games, Blacksburg has 2 stations as well, and I'll be on one of those crews. 

Whwre are they gonna fit 4 radio crews? Lol. 

If Blacksburg throws a hail mary to win it, how will you call the game?  Gus Johnson screamin' excited style or Hawk Harrelson "And this ballgame is ovah...." suicidal depression style?

18 hours ago, ValiantAardvark said:

1. You do understand that the home school doesn't pick officials? So we can't pick our racists friends to the call the game.

2. Speaking of the 1950s, who the hell uses the word "colored" anymore. What sort of asinine backasswards world do you live in?  Maybe you should spend less time out milking ol' Mable and more time checking out the 21st century. 

3. The PA  is obnoxious, but he can't hold a candle to Slick Cook and the Richlands Radio Goon Squad or Jackasses that inhabit the press box at Tazewell.  I seem to recall that for years Tazewell would read out every score from every game they had won versus their opponent since they played in a cow pasture (always skipped the losses btw).  

4. The seating on the visitor side at Grundy might be bad, but at least the visitor side of the field isn't dangerous for players. How many people have been injured because the bleaches are right on top of the sidelines at Tazewell?

Facts are facts on the officials missing or I should say ignoring things.  Ask any of the players that played there.

I use the world color to be inclusive of all people not white.  BTW I didn't say colored people.  I'm not a PC person and believe it has gone to far but I still believe in being polite to others.  Also I'm a technology person that works IT in a big manufacturing plant, don't think you can get much more 21st century than that.  Although I do admit I like the farm work as well.

Since I have been keeping up with it ~1998 the announcer at Tazewell has always given credit to the other team and promotes sportsmanship and the only scores mentioned are the ones from rival teams going on the same night.  As for the radio crew, there was NONE and I mean nobody better than Larry Hypes.  Never said a single bad word about anybody or anything even if he could have and everybody would have agreed.  Will miss him on the Radio this year.

Let's see, there are the bleachers then the fence then the track and then the whole sideline area at Tazewell.  I can think of several stadiums that there is a fence right behind the sideline.

4 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

If Blacksburg throws a hail mary to win it, how will you call the game?  Gus Johnson screamin' excited style or Hawk Harrelson "And this ballgame is ovah...." suicidal depression style?

Luckily, I'm the color guy. I won't have to call it. I'll just have to react and break it down....

On 8/1/2017 at 1:32 PM, ValiantAardvark said:

3. The PA  is obnoxious, but he can't hold a candle to Slick Cook and the Richlands Radio Goon Squad 

Hey, I'm all for open banter.  And I may have taken my own shots at the namesake facility of K.M. Hicks on this board.

But Slick Cook and the Richlands radio network are institutions and should be considered sacred.  ;-)

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2017 at 7:48 AM, Leatherhead Larry said:

As a player and fan. 

1) Riggs - It spoke for itself. 

2) Ralph Cummings - I remember having to duck to navigate through the old locker room underneath the home bleachers, man that sucked. Also that stupid hill behind the visitors sideline gave you little room to move up and down the field. 

3) Lebanon - Is this not the weirdest set up footballs stadiums you ever seen? I remember as a child the away side was on one side, then as a player the away side was flipped. 

4) Erine Hicks - I remember playing on the big jump in the middle of the field. It was funny standing on the away side and only being able to see the Richlands players/coaches from the waist up on the other side. But it became a nicer place to play once they turfed it and used GC blue instead of Richlands blue lettering. But I still hate it as a fan cause you can't see! 

5) Like someone else stated, the Cumberland district excluding Coeburn/Eastside, I haven't been there since 2006, but it was a decent place then. 

Wildcard) Buckingham County: By far the worst of the worst I've ever been to as a fan. Worst facilities, worst fans, worst coaches, worst sportsmanship, worst everything. I hope Gate City NEVER has to go back. 

Riggs Stadium was terrible from the visitor side. But man, being on the home side with the bleachers tucked into the hillside and that wonderful Appy turf... that was Swva football. 

On 7/14/2017 at 3:34 PM, trumpet1988 said:

That is true. Fortunately on GC home side, it doesn't really occur. If it does then it isn't nearly as bad. But there are incidents that do happen at GC sometimes and clearly, not all GC fans are insufferable. The ones who post on here are not. 

I do not mind the train horn. It is a fan tradition which adds to the atmosphere. As long as the people operating it use common sense and courtesy, what is the problem?

As as bad as a part of the fan base can behave over there, it definitely is not the worst. That is at Breathitt County, Kentucky. I guess our band director did not take time to find out and nobody thought to tell him that Kentucky has a strictly enforced policy about bands playing in the stands. Not the issue. 

We had 77 people in band at PV that year. It seems like a smack in the face to stick us on tiny little league bleachers instead of marking off a section on the main bleachers where both fan bases sat. 

Central's field is good. However their seating and parking situations are terrible. 

The BC fans were trash too. Racial slurs, refs trying to fight fans, pelting the bus with rocks and stuff. That place is straight up white trash. 

I am a Union fan and I love a game at the park, but Phil Lee needs to speak up, no one and I mean no one can hear what's going on, grow a set son speak up and be a man, you sound like you are 104 years old, mumbles all the time, 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

The BC fans were trash too. Racial slurs, refs trying to fight fans, pelting the bus with rocks and stuff. That place is straight up white trash. 

I don't miss that place at all. 

We, the band, had our bus shaving creamed, rolled, and stink bombed. Pretty sure the football buses got it too  

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

I am a Union fan and I love a game at the park, but Phil Lee needs to speak up, no one and I mean no one can hear what's going on, grow a set son speak up and be a man, you sound like you are 104 years old, mumbles all the time, 

Phil Lee is a VERY boring announcer. Sounds like he's mumbling from a coma.