William Byrd @ Richlands

Ryan4VT

37 minutes ago, BlackWolf5 said:

All I want to know is what is Richlands going to do about there offense and running game! Isn't #44 the nephew of Devon Johnson why haven't Mance tried him at RB it couldn't hurt to see if it's in his genes to be as good as his uncle was could it! Just asking cause I heard a lot of people asking why they haven't tried him yet but whatever they do they need to get it going!

Have you heard how many college scouts will be at this game? 

On 9/16/2017 at 6:57 PM, pdfan said:

Was at the Byrd-Martinsville game last night. Byrd is not flashy but are fundamentally very sound. They block really well and Barham is very good. They'll run alot of Wildcat and snap the ball straight to him and let him roll. They throw the ball just enough to keep you honest. Should be a good game, Basham has some speed but overall they just have decent team speed.

My cuz said the best player for Terriers didn't play entire first half. Why isn't Byrd playing their best guy? Injured?

2 hours ago, V-Cats said:

Any theory as to why Byrd hasn't used Basham yet? Halftime and he has only been used as the punter

Maybe they were seeing if they could win without him??? Another bad loss for Blues. Bluefield will be another tough game next week. 

On 9/20/2017 at 10:07 PM, BlackWolf5 said:

All I want to know is what is Richlands going to do about there offense and running game! Isn't #44 the nephew of Devon Johnson why haven't Mance tried him at RB it couldn't hurt to see if it's in his genes to be as good as his uncle was could it! Just asking cause I heard a lot of people asking why they haven't tried him yet but whatever they do they need to get it going!

Most people who've followed Richlands for any length of time know the defense has always been a stronger force than the offense way back into the 90s. Maybe offense will get something going soon, definitely weak on running and passing. 

9 hours ago, Gunz9 said:

If Richlands does lose, will it really hurt them much as far as trying to make the playoffs since Byrd is 4A?

No... Richlands will not be hurt at all on points for tonight and last week.  I have already pegged them, Graham, Marion and Virginia High making it to Region D playoffs out of the Southwest.  I think those 4 make it from the Southwest and 4 make it from the Mountain 7.

1 minute ago, EH31 said:

Richlands made a QB change late in last nights game and threw a td. That's happened at least 1 other time I remember. Any chance that kid will get a longer look at QB?

That happened in the closing minutes of last weeks game with Blacksburg as well.

20 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

William Byrd is just a fundamentally solid team.  As I said on in-game, they don't look overwhelming and dominant, but you look at the scoreboard in the 4th, and there they are, leading comfortably.

Family and friends in Vinton compare this team to the Glenvar state championship team from a few years ago. Not flashy, no star, just very fundamentally sound and execute with precision. 

11 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Family and friends in Vinton compare this team to the Glenvar state championship team from a few years ago. Not flashy, no star, just very fundamentally sound and execute with precision. 

That's pretty innacurate from what I saw. In the first half William Byrd literally could not move the ball on richlands defense. I was actually concerned for their quarterback because of the amount of times a tornado lit him up in the backfield. Without crucial richlands mistakes, the score easily could've been 21-0 at halftime, maybe more lopsided than that. Conveniently,bashum didn't play running back the first half. Second half he single handedly took over that football game. It looked like he brought a new offensive line and defense with him when he came in. People may say one player doesn't make that much of a difference, but last night showed otherwise. It was obvious they live and die on his playmaking ability. He is the star on that team.

2 hours ago, Gil'sBlues said:

No insecurities here. I know Blues have a good football team, just got to get all the pieces on offense rolling and we will be fine

The Richlands team I saw is not a very good football team. Yes they have played by far the hardest first 5 games I have ever seen but they can't run it and they couldn't throw it with 2 at QB. The defense absolutely got whipped at union like something I haven't seen in a long time from Richlands. Hey it's ok to rebuild I know your not accustomed to it but there will be a next year!

10 hours ago, Gil'sBlues said:

Yea I would laugh too after your team gets beat by Grundy 47-21. Richlands beat Grundy in preseason. LOL

Yea they got flat out whipped!! I also didn't come on here claiming they were going to shut down Grundy either. I was just trying to help you take off your blue sunglasses.

1 hour ago, hhstigers7327 said:

The Richlands team I saw is not a very good football team. Yes they have played by far the hardest first 5 games I have ever seen but they can't run it and they couldn't throw it with 2 at QB. The defense absolutely got whipped at union like something I haven't seen in a long time from Richlands. Hey it's ok to rebuild I know your not accustomed to it but there will be a next year!

Agree with on the rebuilding and schedule being ridiculous for the first 5 games, but......Richlands can throw it.  Richlands can run it, they just can't do those things as good as they have in many, many years, but..........to say they aren't a good football team, I disagree.  They are a good football team, they are just not as good as they have been.  Richlands is still Richlands and they have the ability to beat both Graham and Bluefield.  If Richlands were to lose both games, would it be a shocker this year?  No, it wouldn't, but if Richlands were to win 1 of them or both, would that be a huge shocker even for this year?  Of course not.  They are still a good football team, not very good, not outstanding, not dominant, and not a state title contender in my opinion, but could they make a run and get to the final 8 of the playoffs (win 2 games in the playoff and then lose in round 3)?  They certainly can do it.  I think with the right circumstances, match ups, and getting some of the kinks worked out, Richlands could surprise and maybe.....maybe get to the state semi's.  I'm not saying they will, and they definitely are not going past the state semi's, but not a huge surprise to me if they were to win 3 playoff games.  My thoughts objectively are, they win the first two playoffs, then go out in game three (advance to the final 16, but does not make the final 8).

If Richlands doesn't get its player back in the weight room they are going to lose a lot more games cause it definitely shows on the field that they haven't been lifting!!! Offense line is losing the battle up front, rb going down on first contact, receivers not able to squeeze the ball in and qb not able to get the ball to his receivers! Now defense needs to get stronger and be able to tackle and take a ball carrier down at contact and not get drag for 5yds and play more physical and get after it! All 11 needs to be getting to the ball and not just standing around watching! They can turn it around but it's going to have to take them to believe in there selves and each other! The 12 man is always behind you guys it's time for you guys to start playing some football!!!