VHS @ Graham; Thursday Night Edition

Bearcat Dad

3 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

I never said VA football is better. The point margins in VA are similar to WV and actually there are more blowouts in VA proportionally than WV. For every Montcalm in WV there are 4 Rye Cove's in VA. The middle of the road teams in VA are just like the middle of the road teams in WV. There are just more middle of the road teams in VA because there are more schools.  So there are on average 4 AA schools in VA on the same level as the top team in WV simply because there are 4 to 5 times more of them etc. At the very top on most years VA is better because the biggest VA schools have 2,000 to 3,000 students. No schools in WV have that many. Until recently I would even say that SWVA football was worse than WV because of districts. The very best teams in SWVA were guaranteed cup cakes each and every year. For every game with Powell Valley or even Burton that Applalachia had there was one with Rye Cove, Twin Springs and St. Paul. That was never the case in WV until recently when there just aren't enough good teams for other good teams to play. 

For the record Bluefield has called Giles, Christiansburg, Blacksburg, George Wythe, Abingdon for games ever since Bluefield dropped to AA. Only recently has Giles agreed to scrimmage. Perhaps they are on the path to agreeing to regular season games. Christiansburg agrees to scrimmage but not to play regular season. Blacksburg actually agreed to play 2 years ago but Thad Wells scratched that idea before the paperwork was done.

I respect what you are saying and I understand that you never said Va football was better.  I DID.  I never stated Bluefield hasn't tried to play solid opponents.  I simply stated they have a very weak schedule this year.  That's a true statement.  There schedule is weak in 2017, that's a fact, regardless of why.  As for Virginia football, the talent level is better from top to bottom.   In Virginia, a high school football player is 2 times more likely to be recruited by a Div 1 school than a West Virginia High School Player and that is controlling the variable of total population. https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/4/18/15340728/recruits-per-state-ncaa-map.  When we rank total college recruiting in another study per capita (controlling for population) WV ranks 49th and Va ranks 10th (https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/1/30/14375298/college-football-recruiting-state-rankings-population-capita.   Again, I don't argue with you on Bluefield's toughness.  I again state.....I think Bluefield can play with Appo as much or more than any other AA team in Va this year, but the state from top to bottom, even when controlling for population numbers/total teams, is simply not the quality of Virginia.  

22 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

I never said VA football is better. The point margins in VA are similar to WV and actually there are more blowouts in VA proportionally than WV. For every Montcalm in WV there are 4 Rye Cove's in VA. The middle of the road teams in VA are just like the middle of the road teams in WV. There are just more middle of the road teams in VA because there are more schools.  So there are on average 4 AA schools in VA on the same level as the top team in WV simply because there are 4 to 5 times more of them etc. At the very top on most years VA is better because the biggest VA schools have 2,000 to 3,000 students. No schools in WV have that many. Until recently I would even say that SWVA football was worse than WV because of districts. The very best teams in SWVA were guaranteed cup cakes each and every year. For every game with Powell Valley or even Burton that Applalachia had there was one with Rye Cove, Twin Springs and St. Paul. That was never the case in WV until recently when there just aren't enough good teams for other good teams to play. 

For the record Bluefield has called Giles, Christiansburg, Blacksburg, George Wythe, Abingdon for games ever since Bluefield dropped to AA. Only recently has Giles agreed to scrimmage. Perhaps they are on the path to agreeing to regular season games. Christiansburg agrees to scrimmage but not to play regular season. Blacksburg actually agreed to play 2 years ago but Thad Wells scratched that idea before the paperwork was done.

The best of the best in VA is traditionally one of the best 15-25 teams in the country, VA football has more athletes and kids. I'm not deriding WV football at all by recognizing a state with a larger population is better overall at football. 

12 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Bluefield researcher is the last guy you wanna try to argue stats on. He's about to shut everything you just said down. 

You have to remember Ryan, this is the guy who doesn't even know who is in his own conference and region... and thought Battle and Ridgeview were 1A schools.

15 hours ago, TTownTigers said:

Giles isn't considered SWVA 

First he discovers that Pocahontas is a real place and once had a high school, now he learns the geography of Southwest Virginia.

Tomorrow we'll begin with shapes! 

On 10/8/2017 at 7:12 PM, UVAObserver said:

I believe that Union may be more "complete" due to their mental toughness and execution.  I would watch different film of both teams for an accurate gauge on their abilities.  For Graham: Giles would be the first tape I watch.  Giles is a quality 2C team whose style is not well suited for Graham, and is a good contrast.

On 10/8/2017 at 10:25 PM, Onceadog said:

If I'm Virginia High I run the ball until Graham stops me. I think Graham is better in the back half of their defense than the front 7. I don't think they're weak in the front 7.. but I think their secondary is really talented. Vineyard is a great LB but overall I think the secondary is their strength. Plus up front Virginia High is just BIG. I think their best chance to win this game is to keep the ball out of Allen, Lester, and Cooke's hands. I was impressed with Virginia High's depth at RB and their QB actually reminds me of Ben Meade, Grahams qb last year. Should be a good one Thursday. 

Don't sleep on the other linebacker #54 he's everywhere, talented sophomore plays both ways, not as vocal as Vinyard but I'd be surprised if he doesn't lead the team in tackles. The games I have been to he's had multiple forced fumbles. He's a terror on special teams.

I really liked how Coach Palmer moved Lester to fill the running back position last week with Allen being healthy and back in at QB. This gives Graham the potential to get very creative on offense with direct snaps to Lester and maybe a few trick plays. I can see this game being a high scoring back and forth game all night long. If Graham can stay disciplined and not turn the ball over, I believe they win this game. Two or more turnovers and VH walks out of Mitchell with a very big win. I give the edge to Graham 42-35.

3 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

Anyone broadcasting this game or live streaming it? 

Graham steams on Www.kickscountry.com - just click the listen live button on the main page during game time

but if I was you I'd see if VHS had a broadcast first before settling on this one. 

5 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Graham steams on Www.kickscountry.com - just click the listen live button on the main page during game time

but if I was you I'd see if VHS had a broadcast first before settling on this one. 

#Truth

Well, today is the big day. My last trip to Graham for football was in 1994 as a Sophomore for the Bearcats. It was the first round of the playoffs, we were locked in a defensive battle with the G-Men, down 7-0 in the 4th, when we finally get on the board with a touchdown. My beloved(and very successful) teammate, Alex Walls, was our superstar Freshman kicker. Alex went on after high school to become one of the all-time leading scorers for the University of Tennessee. That Saturday afternoon in November of 94 was not his day, though. After we finally get on the board, Alex hooks the EP and we lose 7-6. That was coach Mike Locke's (current HC at Sullivan East) debut season, and the only time we made it to the playoffs while I was in school. 

I'm looking forward to tonight's game very much. I wish the G-Men luck and I pray for a hard fought, competitive, and injury-free game. 

On 10/7/2017 at 11:22 PM, BigWinners said:

Lol no. What makes you think any team is gonna beat VHS by five TDs? That's silly. 

I think Graham wins by 7-14, but 35 is laughable. 

Hate to be that guy but I called it.