Bears @ Wal-Mart Warriors

CriticalNoise

3 hours ago, Unchained said:

Where to start really? I'll start the ball rolling with too many parents telling coaches what to do and coaches bowing to it as the pushers have the bling. Back in the JJK days  some success was found with Kevin Saunders who had ZERO problem telling folks to kiss his arse. Of course he didn't last long enough as good ol politics in WC shown him the door. Come to think of it after that along came another pretty good coach who got them to the postseason in B.I Salyers,and lo and behold the suits struck again and poof he was gone too:). Catch my drift? It may not be popular but it's correct and until folks stop the denial and heads in the sand things are going to remain as is

Under Saunders and Salyer both, Kelly had their most respectable years post 1981...both coaches did really well until, like you said, parents and higher ups ran them off. 100% on the money with that post. The situation with B.I. was especially silly...raisin’ hell on a coach for using county gas to transporting workout equipment for the weight room? I mean, seriously...someone in the SBO just had it in for him.

2 hours ago, Grapeape said:

The parents and administration made life a living hell for Darren Reed, and he is one of the top 3 coaches around, IMO.

Reed made life like that for everyone around him. Unapproachable. Coaches didn’t respect him. Players couldn’t stand him. At practice, he stood at midfield and yelled at all stations rather than let the coaches coach. He had two former head coaches on his staff. He’s not open to suggestion. Late into his second (and last) season at central, he had the nerve to tell me the reason he was not successful at central was due to the youth program I had ran for years for BI Salyers and Jason Mullins. Dude is a joke. He talks a big game but falls short on execution. 

5 minutes ago, BearDawg said:

Dude is a joke. He talks a big game but falls short on execution. 

The # of wins he has racked up since 2014 at Abingdon speaks for itself - though it appears you are far more informed than I am in regard to the Central years. Reed is definitely NOT a people person; I just happen to be one of those guys that likes everybody.

1 hour ago, Grapeape said:

The # of wins he has racked up since 2014 at Abingdon speaks for itself - though it appears you are far more informed than I am in regard to the Central years. Reed is definitely NOT a people person; I just happen to be one of those guys that likes everybody.

Colobro is why the wins came. This year they cry to drop down and play in a 2A conference. His wife is the better coach in that Home. 

8 hours ago, sup_rbeast said:

Under Saunders and Salyer both, Kelly had their most respectable years post 1981...both coaches did really well until, like you said, parents and higher ups ran them off. 100% on the money with that post. The situation with B.I. was especially silly...raisin’ hell on a coach for using county gas to transporting workout equipment for the weight room? I mean, seriously...someone in the SBO just had it in for him.

That's not why B.I. resigned.

8 hours ago, Grapeape said:

For the 1742nd time, NICK COLOBRO.

46 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

I remember a overconfident PV team being upset by JJKelly, PV should have won by 3tds but they lost. I hope the Bears are not looking ahead, it only takes a break or two and poor play for an upset to occur

1999.  What a fun night that was.  Started the night in Pound at the Haysi/Pound game, we go down by 4 scores in the first half.  This whole time, we get score updates through the PA on the Kelly/PV game, and how good of a game it sounds.  I look at my buddy, and I'm like, we're beat, let's roll on up to Wise and catch the end of that game.  So we do, and watch Kelly finish the massive upset.  As we're rolling back through Pound, we see that a single car hasn't left and we look at each other like... "This game isn't over yet?!"  So, we go back in, and it's tied 28-28.  We catch the last minute of regulation and the OT of what was a wild 34-28 comeback victory for Haysi.  Which was also a huge upset.  That Pound team went on to lose in the Division 1 state championship game that year.  That game is still on YouTube today in 2 parts.  The video quality is horrible, but it was one of the best high school football games you'll see.

9 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

The shenanigans have already started. Us Union fans have already had countless middle fingers in our direction and a few brownies thrown off school busses at us. 

Gonna be a fun night!

Nice!  Be sure on your way out of the stadium tonight to point at the scoreboard when encountering every fan wearing Central colors you see.  Lol.

5 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Nice!  Be sure on your way out of the stadium tonight to point at the scoreboard when encountering every fan wearing Central colors you see.  Lol.

Well hell they should at least throw bottles of milk to go with them. What's a matter with these soft arse kids nowadays? Back in the day we chucked glass bottles,pieces of cinder block,and keyed cars along with slashing tires. smh

Haven't been on the board in a long while- largely due to health and business reasons - but I appreciate the comments all have made.

I live in Pound and was quite involved in the consolidation controversy in Wise County. I can assure you BearDawg that no one from Pound, especially Rocky Cantrell had anything to do with B.I. Salyers removal as coach. Everyone here was as surprised as everyone else. the reasons given for this action were silly. The front office and school administration wanted rid of B.I. The only involvement Rocky Cantrell had with athletics in the Wise area was an invitation to merge the Pound and Wise little leagues.

The comments that have been made on the location of the school are spot on. There has been a significant reduction in extracurricular activities participation from the Pound area, I presume there has probably been one from the far eastern end of Wise as well. Technically Central was to be a Pound Wise consolidation- yet no meaningful attempt was made to build a school between the two communities. A school constructed at the J.J. Kelly site would have been more acceptable to most Pound people. Central exists in its present form due to a misguided effort by some members of the Wise County school board and administration to bring Norton into the consolidation scheme. Norton had the good sense to stay out. The construction expense has been terrible for the taxpayers and the location in a congested area is brainless.

From the end of the war until the 1980's Wise actually had some very impressive football teams. The redoing of the attendance area once Norton became a city helped Wise considerably. In the 50's and 60's under coaches Bays and Lester Wise produced some very good football players, Al Stecker won a state championship in 1980, but was forced out as coach shortly thereafter. It is possible to have a winning team in Wise, though the competition is much tougher now. I might add that Wise actually went to court to prevent a move to AA in the possibly the late 70's or early 80's. This did not gain them a lot of respect.

A major reason for the hostility of the other towns to Wise has been the spending of so much of the taxpayers money in the Wise area. The Appalachia area- the largest taxpaying entity in Wise County- has been especially shortchanged. All of the economic development in the county has occurred in and around Wise, paid for with other people's money.

A few points: Location was a major reason why money was spent in Wise. If there were a Wal-Mart in Pound,I wouldn't drive from my home in BSG to it. I'd head toward Kingsport where i had more eating and shopping options. The move by JJK to remain in A in the late 90s if I recall was strictly because alternative ed students were counted as JJK students which was not right- not to mention travel concerns like going to VHS on a Tuesday night for a basketball game (of course now everybody travels further with the current setup). Folks can argue all they want about money being spent to improve Wise but Wise has more than returned the favor paying out the wazoo in revenue taxes because of it (not to mention given the folks of WC more options to shop ,eat,and more doctors offfices and such). I'll make another point as well: Town leaders narrow-minded and resistant to the change that is required to achieve progress have absolutely crippled places like Pound and Appalachia. Big Stone Gap is continuously expanding and improving because their leaders recognize that in these modern times we can't stay in the stone ages

Unions second team outscored Central 7-0 and played entire second half, both O and D.

Mitchell had a TD on INT return, TD rushing and TD receiving in front of Fuente. I'm not sure Central had 100 total yards. Union threw the ballpretty well tonight, if that gets going theyre in much better shape. But I figure had a lot to do with competition.

GC/Central will be a close game. WC is smallest team I've seen all year. Very little size.

1 minute ago, EH31 said:

How many pick 6's does mitchell have now on the year? 3? 

I know two 100%, but it could be three. Three seems right.

Mitchell will finish the year with multiple receiving TDs, rush TDs, punt return TDs and INT return TDs.