Best teams in mance era

Swvafan72

Just now, rvtne215 said:

This is a fun discussion. Happy that I was apart of the 2010 team as well. Most talented group of guys I have ever been a part of. 

Sitting beside him now. Y'all should see how he really feels ;)

On 10/10/2017 at 2:59 PM, UVAObserver said:

That 2004 Bluefield team would murder and then feast on the decomposing carcass of that 2006 Richlands team.  People love to forget that it took a blocked chip shot FG for Richlands to avoid losing to an 8-5 Rockbridge team.  Whereas, Bluefield beat Martinsburg (#1 WV AAA team for what felt like eternity) before hanging 70 in its state title game.

Bluefield would win that game in a blowout.  Not even close.

I can't say that the  2004 Bluefield team wouldn't defeat the 2006 Richlands team, but I do know that they squeezed out a 3 point win over Mount View (6-4), and would have lost to Weir ... had the Weir coach simply kept the ball on the ground with a 2 score lead and under 2 minutes to go.  The idea that the Bluefield team would "murder and then feast" on that Richlands team is absurd.

I've seen at least 1 Richlands game every year since Timmy Brown was a junior and 2006 was the best team I've personally seen. I'd almost be willing to bet that Caleb Jennings had more touchdowns called back that year than Richlands has scored all of this year. 

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

I've seen at least 1 Richlands game every year since Timmy Brown was a junior and 2006 was the best team I've personally seen. I'd almost be willing to bet that Caleb Jennings had more touchdowns called back that year than Richlands has scored all of this year. 

Caleb Jennings had some of the best balance as a RB I’ve seen. To be so short he was fast and strong. 

My senior year of '04 was a special year. Not saying we were the best but we were a solid team and ran into a very good $#%#& team in the state-semis. 

I kinda feel we set the table and brought back a little of that culture that had been lost in the late 90's. A few of those kids that were Freshman and Sophmore's that year for us could have gone to many schools right away and started.

Speaking of the '04 Beavers, I always wondered what that game that year would have been like. It would have been fun, that's for sure. 

56 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

And McCommons wasn't on the '92 team...

Was he the RB on the 94 team that lost to Blacksburg in the playoffs?  I remember Narrows being in the Grid-O-Rama at Mitchell that year and beating Tazewell 6-0 and getting ran the hell over by Richlands and it pretty much being the one RB that was an absolute horse.  

10 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Was he the RB on the 94 team that lost to Blacksburg in the playoffs?  I remember Narrows being in the Grid-O-Rama at Mitchell that year and beating Tazewell 6-0 and getting ran the hell over by Richlands and it pretty much being the one RB that was an absolute horse.  

Yes was running the running back in 1994. A very very good one.

As much as I love to yell 'Check their cleats' at Richlands  - most folks don't know what I'm talking about - does ANYONE believe the illegal cleats actually made a difference, or was that some kind of veiled attack against Vaught? 

12 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

As much as I love to yell 'Check their cleats' at Richlands  - most folks don't know what I'm talking about - does ANYONE believe the illegal cleats actually made a difference, or was that some kind of veiled attack against Vaught? 

If anyone thinks 1/8 of an inch made any real difference, they are fooling themselves. What helped more was watering down the field lmao. 

Just now, Grapeape said:

Where was the game? Times were better when state title games were at a high school's home field. 

The game in question was at Richlands. But it was the state semifinal, not the final. 

19 hours ago, SW_VA_boy said:

That was the year.  I remember the Narrows scrimmage.......McCommons was a Junior...the team had an abundance of senior leadership that had been around Coach Vaught.

On 10/10/2017 at 9:00 PM, gwave0333 said:

Took a bad throw on a two point conversion in OT at Grundy for that 01 Graham team to even get home field advantage in the playoffs that year.

No doubt that team was loaded with speed though

I remember that game at Grundy ... Graham fans were on pins and needles! Best ride back from Grundy that I ever had. I also remember the playoff game between the two the very same year. Great memories!

I agree with CityofRaven, the 04 team of Richlands was very good and overlooked in this discussion.

My top 5 Mance teams would be:

1. 2006 (Won State, had skill all over the field on both sides of the ball)

2. 2010 (should have won state)  I know,  woulda, coulda, shoulda lol

3. 2005 (McCrackens shoulder injury didn't help in the game against Turner Ashby)

4. 2016 (Appomattox buzzsaw)  Side note: Mances decision to avoid OT against Stuarts Draft and go for and make 2 point conversion to Scottie Ball was the highlight of the year.

5. 2015 (Appomattox 4th quarter disaster)  Feel we would have won state if we hadn't lost to Appo!!!

Honorable Mention:

04 (Held our own against Salem 42-28)

14 (Devastating Overtime loss to Wilson Memorial)

6 hours ago, starcityfootballfan said:

I remember that game at Grundy ... Graham fans were on pins and needles! Best ride back from Grundy that I ever had. I also remember the playoff game between the two the very same year. Great memories!

Good memories for you on that one maybe, I was on the losing end of that one and just missed catching the winner in regulation. The playoffs at Mitchell that year was a completely different story lol , we got beat I think 42-14 or something like that. The next year in 02 it went opposite with Graham winning big in the regular season and Grundy winning in a nailbiter in the Region Finals. (better memory)

1 hour ago, gwave0333 said:

Good memories for you on that one maybe, I was on the losing end of that one and just missed catching the winner in regulation. The playoffs at Mitchell that year was a completely different story lol , we got beat I think 42-14 or something like that. The next year in 02 it went opposite with Graham winning big in the regular season and Grundy winning in a nailbiter in the Region Finals. (better memory)

God wanted Grundy to win that '02 playoff game.  3" of slush on that field, which totally neutralized Graham's strengths.  Even still, Graham's WR dropped the tying TD with :14 left that couldn't have hit him any more square in the chest.