Graham vs Richlands

Graham32

Cliffnote thoughts:

Richlands -

only about 2 skill position players away from being a 7-8 win team. Strong front 7. #6 needs to get a shot at QB the whole game. Kicker is D1 bound. Legitimately could make a case that he was the best player on the field tonight. 

Graham - 

Played timid. Costly turnover before the half. Cooke had 2 touchdowns but played his worst game of the year by far. Dropped what could've been a touchdown and dropped 2 sure fire interceptions in the 4th that would've ended the game. Allen played TOUGH, he didn't care to take or give a hit. #29 Vineyard doesn't get enough recognition. He played one of the best games by a linebacker I've seen in a long time. 

3 minutes ago, trevorpilkins said:

Great insight, thanks for sharing.  

No problem. Check back next year and we'll talk about how Richlands should be favored over Graham because Trey Brown had more rushing yards in 3 1/2 quarters than all of Graham's RB's combined tonight! 

3 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Cliffnote thoughts:

Richlands -

only about 2 skill position players away from being a 7-8 win team. Strong front 7. #6 needs to get a shot at QB the whole game. Kicker is D1 bound. Legitimately could make a case that he was the best player on the field tonight. 

Graham - 

Played timid. Costly turnover before the half. Cooke had 2 touchdowns but played his worst game of the year by far. Dropped what could've been a touchdown and dropped 2 sure fire interceptions in the 4th that would've ended the game. Allen played TOUGH, he didn't care to take or give a hit. #29 Vineyard doesn't get enough recognition. He played one of the best games by a linebacker I've seen in a long time. 

I agree...Vineyard was outstanding tonight.

Just now, EH31 said:

No problem. Check back next year and we'll talk about how Richlands should be favored over Graham because Trey Brown had more rushing yards in 3 1/2 quarters than all of Graham's RB's combined tonight! 

Majority of thread was wrong. I was saying Graham usually has better athletes. Richlands out coaches Graham, and out game plans them.  Last years stat that surprised me was that he Defense could keep Cousins in check, AND that up 21 Graham didn’t give the ball to cousins ground and pound and keep the lead.  Cameron Allen bailed Graham out tonight. Blown time out early in 3rd,  penalties, false start to take them out of field goal range (which I wanted to see Graham kick!)  I don’t mean it disrespectfully to Graham, I just think Richlands Coaches really do a great job in adjustments and gameplans. Especially tonight , short handed on DB and W R side. 

12 minutes ago, trevorpilkins said:

Majority of thread was wrong. I was saying Graham usually has better athletes. Richlands out coaches Graham, and out game plans them.  Last years stat that surprised me was that he Defense could keep Cousins in check, AND that up 21 Graham didn’t give the ball to cousins ground and pound and keep the lead.  Cameron Allen bailed Graham out tonight. Blown time out early in 3rd,  penalties, false start to take them out of field goal range (which I wanted to see Graham kick!)  I don’t mean it disrespectfully to Graham, I just think Richlands Coaches really do a great job in adjustments and gameplans. Especially tonight , short handed on DB and W R side. 

Graham had no business lining up to kick that FG. Curto is a good kicker but it would take an amazing kicker to make a 50 yard field goal to win a rivalry game in high school. That false start was a blessing in disguise for them.. with as many as Richlands had back deep to catch it, it could've ended up like 

Question to those who were there: should Mance have went for two? Seemed like Richlands had all the momentum and probably weren't going to win in OT, why not just go for it ala Stuarts Draft?

Just now, Ryan4VT said:

Question to those who were there: should Mance have went for two? Seemed like Richlands had all the momentum and probably weren't going to win in OT, why not just go for it ala Stuarts Draft?

I think he should have. Would he have gotten it? I kinda doubt it, but I think he has to. It gives them the better chance. You have all the momentum on your side for the first time all night, and in the back of your head you have to know how tough it would be to stop Graham in OT considering they only have to go a quarter of the field. 

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

Yep. QB draw for the win.

the bigger question is why 4 straight throws in OT when Graham couldn't stop 6 from getting positive yards running?

Thanks, guys. I obviously wasn't there and was instead having a heart attack waiting for my guy to text me updates. I said on the air for the Blacksburg game that if it's me, you have nothing to lose and I'd go for it. But it's a tough call either way. 

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

Thanks, guys. I obviously wasn't there and was instead having a heart attack waiting for my guy to text me updates. I said on the air for the Blacksburg game that if it's me, you have nothing to lose and I'd go for it. But it's a tough call either way. 

You're right. It's a really tough one. But with your season arguably on the line I think you have to try to do something to get the W. 

3 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

ABSOLUTELY! I was shocked he didn't. After the game I enjoyed his comments and thought they were just right. He ended in saying to Miss Edeth..

The better team won. It hurts but it's true.

8 minutes ago, BlueRazor said:

ABSOLUTELY! I was shocked he didn't. After the game I enjoyed his comments and thought they were just right. He ended in saying to Miss Edeth..

The better team won. It hurts but it's true.

I don’t think they should have? 29 has blown up plays all night? He had a huge fourth down stop where he almost took handoff. 5 dropped 2 sure fire I n f, and Allen came close to a toe tap I n t late down sideline....  Richlands without top two WR, I think g men get heels on goal line and rush 2 or 3  and just keep them in front. Graham had speed to play side line to sideline. 29 is a man child , he was qb spy a lot  all night and rarely missed. 

If Richlands took ball scored 1st in 1st quarter, or scored on 1st possesion of second half , or scored first in over time. I felt wheels were coming off for Graham after onside kick recovery, definitely a deja Vu not Again feeling.

Allen made big plays offensively , respect to him, he was difference in the game 

6 hours ago, EH31 said:

Graham had no business lining up to kick that FG. Curto is a good kicker but it would take an amazing kicker to make a 50 yard field goal to win a rivalry game in high school. That false start was a blessing in disguise for them.. with as many as Richlands had back deep to catch it, it could've ended up like 

Pretty sure missed FGs are not returnable in VHSL ball...

7 hours ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

Going forward, does Richlands go with #6 at QB or do they stick with #2?

Gotta go with 2 since Grandpa is the Superintendent and Daddy is principal. I heard that when he got pulled in a game earlier in the year they were at the field house waiting for the coaching staff the next morning.   I have been saying 6 should be QB since the first scrimmage this year

5 minutes ago, Flea said:

Gotta go with 2 since Grandpa is the Superintendent and Daddy is principal. I heard that when he got pulled in a game earlier in the year they were at the field house waiting for the coaching staff the next morning.   I have been saying 6 should be QB since the first scrimmage this year

Nice to see that somewhere other than tazewell has to deal with that problem as well

Don't get me wrong he is probably a great kid but when you don't show up for all of the 7 on 7 and 6 takes over and makes strides then it leaves the rest of the team with out a leader and gives them no hope of having one.

59 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Nice to see that somewhere other than tazewell has to deal with that problem as well

#6 mom is school board member who likes to get rid of coaches , Mance could be next. What's the saying? School boards and parents ruin sports. Mance is in a no win politically, pressure from Browns, most likely pressure from Moirs, both being his boss so to speak and both being parents/grandparents. 

8 hours ago, trevorpilkins said:

I hate to say it but tonight proved Graham needs some more seasoned knowledgeable coaching help. Way too many mistakes and bad play calls that shouldn't happen. Taking nothing away from them for the win, sometimes a team wins in spite of themselves. Vineyard was amazing for them! Kicker for Richlands doubling amazing. 

Totally agree he is the worst QB since Heldreth even Stevie Wonder could see this I drove 5 1/2 hours to the Marion game and every time Race took the snap he made things happen I don't understand heir reasoning behind this I don't post a lot just frustrated about the season I have become spoiled over the years and have high expectations. When people ask me where I am from I tell them Richland's and they say they have a hell of a good football program and it makes me proud. I was also disappointed at Marion's facility they have spent zero dollars on up keep when a visiting team doesn't have a place to go for halftime they meet behind the bleachers I was shocked it was that way back in the 70's as they say Come On Man!!!!!

8 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

And I quote a Richlands fan ‘ he has no balls to go for two’