Future of Gate City Football

Jason

18 minutes ago, old_school_blue said:

I agree.  Five state championship appearances and only one win.  He's the Marv Levy of high school football.

I'd rather have him than any other coach in SWVA, title game failures included. 

27 minutes ago, old_school_blue said:

That speaks to how coach poor SWVA is and has been for years.  Travis Turner has more head to head wins vs Mance and Blacksburg isn't in SWVA.

You don't become your schools winningest coach, have the most wins in an entire area code over the span of 17 years, make it to 5 state titles, beat both of your rivals like Cherokee drum's for a decade and not be a good coach. He's not a poor coach. I'm still yet to figure out why you have so much distain for him when for nearly two decades, he ran an entire 1/4 of a state. 

Turner, Wells & Dixon are the 3 I would put right under him. But until any of them show the longevity that he has (and Thad won't because he'll be in college before too long), then they aren't quite on his level. 

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

You don't become your schools winningest coach, have the most wins in an entire zip code over the span of 17 years, make it to 5 state titles, beat both of your rivals like Cherokee drum's for a decade and not be a good coach. He's not a poor coach. I'm still yet to figure out why you have so much distain for him when for nearly two decades, he ran an entire 1/4 of a state. 

Turner, Wells & Dixon are the 3 I would put right under him. But until any of them show the longevity that he has (and Thad won't because he'll be in college before too long), then they aren't quite on his level. 

I will concede wins at Richlands (like to see his record vs. teams with a winning record), which zip code, 24641 - I will concede he has more high school wins in Richlands, made it to 5 finals and had better teams than 4 of the 5 opponents, easy on the Native dialogue there pal - Tazewell has been a hell of a team in the last 17 years (no disrespect Bulldogs), didn't say he was poor - I would describe him as average, stop trying to figure me out, you won't from where you see things. Some of the reasons are:- he is still making some of the same mistakes he made when he started.  He seems very reluctant to adapt when needed, his play calling is very predictable and I would bet my last dollar that he has a sub-par record against good coaches or teams with winning records.

Turner has beaten Mance more than Mance has beaten Turner.  Dixon has at least as many state titles as Mance in many fewer years as does Wells (but Blacksburg isn't in SWVA)  And all of these coaches are much younger than Mance, make that statement in ten years and you will be laughed at.  I would say they are all at his level, probably higher.

1 minute ago, old_school_blue said:

I will concede wins at Richlands (like to see his record vs. teams with a winning record), which zip code, 24641 - I will concede he has more high school wins in Richlands, made it to 5 finals and had better teams than 4 of the 5 opponents, easy on the Native dialogue there pal - Tazewell has been a hell of a team in the last 17 years (no disrespect Bulldogs), didn't say he was poor - I would describe him as average, stop trying to figure me out, you won't from where you see things. Some of the reasons are:- he is still making some of the same mistakes he made when he started.  He seems very reluctant to adapt when needed, his play calling is very predictable and I would bet my last dollar that he has a sub-par record against good coaches or teams with winning records.

Turner has beaten Mance more than Mance has beaten Turner.  Dixon has at least as many state titles as Mance in many fewer years as does Wells (but Blacksburg isn't in SWVA)  And all of these coaches are much younger than Mance, make that statement in ten years and you will be laughed at.  I would say they are all at his level, probably higher.

Area code, not zip code. That's my bad. Turner is 4-3 vs. Mance. It's not like he's won 10 more games head-to-head. 

I've got time, I'll play this game. Since 1999 vs. teams who ended with winning records:

1999: 0-6

2000: 3-3

2001: 4-2

2002: 6-3

2003: 3-4

2004: 7-2

2005: 8-1

2006: 10-0

2007: 7-3

2008: 6-2

2009: 4-2 

2010: 9-1

2011: 2-1

2012: 4-2

2013: 6-4

2014: 5-4

2015: 7-2

2016: 8-1

2017: 0-5

So that's a grand total of 99-47 vs. teams that are .500 or better. That's 52 more wins than losses vs the teams with winning records. Doesn't quite paint the picture you want it to. 

2 minutes ago, EH31 said:

I knew the high school was considered Cedar Bluff. I didn't know if they had changed it or not. The corporate sign is farther down aound dollar general though, right? 

To my knowledge, the town of Richlands annexed the high school's side of the road from that sign in front of Roma's up to the high school so the the school would be inside the town limits. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that happened several years ago. 

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

To my knowledge, the town of Richlands annexed the high school's side of the road from that sign in front of Roma's up to the high school so the the school would be inside the town limits. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that happened several years ago. 

Yes

On 10/18/2017 at 10:04 AM, Jason said:

The 8s are 4-2, the 10s are 2-4, and the 12s are 3-3. 

I always thought Gate City's success was due in part to their "in house" youth program.  I'm not a fan of football travel teams for kids under the age of 13.