Coaching Hot Seat

Widespread_Panic

As long as you have akers your going down hill.  Sorry for good coaches like Burke etc.  akers is a Cancer.  Y'all are screwed.   Not only is he a bad coach. He's a bad person.  Swva needs to quit hiring these coaches from big schools who have big athletes who don't know how to coach.  I'm a fan of old school football.  I don't give a damn if they coached NFL talent.  Give me someone from Holston chilhowie any day.  They know how to coach our kids.....

32 minutes ago, jwcoop said:

As long as you have akers your going down hill.  Sorry for good coaches like Burke etc.  akers is a Cancer.  Y'all are screwed.   Not only is he a bad coach. He's a bad person.  Swva needs to quit hiring these coaches from big schools who have big athletes who don't know how to coach.  I'm a fan of old school football.  I don't give a damn if they coached NFL talent.  Give me someone from Holston chilhowie any day.  They know how to coach our kids.....

Akers came from Rural Retreat?

If you spend your time talking with the people who don't listen to the things that you are saying, who do you thinks gonna hear? And if I should die explaining that the things that they complain about are things they could be changing, who do you thinks gonna care? 

Chris Akers has done such a wonderful job (sarcasm) at Gate City the past 2 seasons that the school board is extending his contract at next weeks school board meeting. Rest In Peace Gate City Football! I can’t believe that this man is going to be given more time to completely destroy something that was the pride staple of our community. I guess I will just have to boycott games along with the others until he is gone. I can no longer support him after the way he has done his assistants and players. Huge mistake school board, HUGE! 

On 11/2/2017 at 3:06 PM, TTownTigers said:

................in your opinion. Nice opinionated post UVA. I disagree with your opinion. Tazewell Jr, lol. GC has won before, so that's not possible. The Gate will be good on the field again. It will not take long.

I can only assume you are talking about state titles? If so you have forgotten that Tazewell has won one also.  If that is what you are talking about "GC has won before, so that's not possible" , you would be wrong.  It is possible!

1 hour ago, Chappy said:

I can only assume you are talking about state titles? If so you have forgotten that Tazewell has won one also.  If that is what you are talking about "GC has won before, so that's not possible" , you would be wrong.  It is possible!

Not only is it possible, they’re rolling downhill toward it.  Typical Gate City hubris.

5 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Chris Akers has done such a wonderful job (sarcasm) at Gate City the past 2 seasons that the school board is extending his contract at next weeks school board meeting. Rest In Peace Gate City Football! I can’t believe that this man is going to be given more time to completely destroy something that was the pride staple of our community. I guess I will just have to boycott games along with the others until he is gone. I can no longer support him after the way he has done his assistants and players. Huge mistake school board, HUGE! 

Why not go to the meeting to voice your concerns?

The school board knows the concerns....they don't care.  Scott county football 2-28.  The county is dying (not just football) and the people in charge would rather be in charge of a sinking ship then not be in charge of anything. 

As bad as Akers may be, he is not the only scorched kernel of corn in the pot.  The players don't like Akers and the fans don`t either but its another coach that they hate and that one will be the reason kids don't come out next year.

The head coach at lee will be there until the school board turns over.  It's not right, but it seems to be the way things happen in Lee County.  First order of business for a new school board is to appoint a new football coach.  It doesn't seem to be helping.

I agree with all the previous post about Lee High School.  One obvious problem is the people who make the Lee coaching decisions are arm chair QBs, who seem to be making political/personal decisions.  It is a sad situation for the players, they're really the one's who suffer.  The two main Lee coaches have been coaching for several years and I'm sure are trying their best; unfortunately records don't lie, it is obvious they have reached their ceiling.  The SB is directly responsible for the mediocrity.  I hope the residents of Lee County send them a message tuesday.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2017 at 6:57 PM, mw0729 said:

Hot off the press today, at least that’s when I heard it, Coach Akers and staff will return next season!!!  Per AD and SB-Chairman BQ.  

I hope beyond all hope that this is not the case. But if it is in fact true, GC will be lucky to have enough players show up to field a team.  The fan base will dwindle. Akers had said in the past that if hired he would do everything he could to get more players in the program....at the end of the season, we had fewer than I've ever seen in 20+ years. He said he would support GC and the community, so he buys a house in Bristol and makes a statement that his "dream job" would be VA High (in my opinion they can have him - I'll volunteer to pack his stuff up from here and deliver it). He shows little to no respect to players. He won't listen to suggestions for improvement from anyone (because obviously he knows all the answers {insert sarcasm here}). Majority of players have zero respect for him. Players were turning against each other which screams lack of control of the team. Repeatedly during the season he said after games that they were "working to win week 10". That's all fine and good, but what about working to win games 1 thru 9. After a game, the only game that should matter at that time is working to win the next game - not one that is several weeks out.  

Are we as the GC faithful spoiled...absolutely. We have a tradition of winning and we expect to do so. However, even in the "down" years of the past, we could see bright spots for the future. Now with Akers at the helm, not so much. I just hope he doesn't bring us down to the point of no return.

The 2016 & 17 seasons at GC accomplished 1 thing: proving beyond the shadow of all doubt that Jeremy Houseright should be head coach. In 2018 Akers will be coaching jv in Va Beach & Houseright will have GC in the playoffs. 

36 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

The 2016 & 17 seasons at GC accomplished 1 thing: proving beyond the shadow of all doubt that Jeremy Houseright should be head coach. In 2018 Akers will be coaching jv in Va Beach & Houseright will have GC in the playoffs. 

And in 2018 Hilary will be president. 

8 hours ago, whatamess said:

I hope beyond all hope that this is not the case. But if it is in fact true, GC will be lucky to have enough players show up to field a team.  The fan base will dwindle. Akers had said in the past that if hired he would do everything he could to get more players in the program....at the end of the season, we had fewer than I've ever seen in 20+ years. He said he would support GC and the community, so he buys a house in Bristol and makes a statement that his "dream job" would be VA High (in my opinion they can have him - I'll volunteer to pack his stuff up from here and deliver it). He shows little to no respect to players. He won't listen to suggestions for improvement from anyone (because obviously he knows all the answers {insert sarcasm here}). Majority of players have zero respect for him. Players were turning against each other which screams lack of control of the team. Repeatedly during the season he said after games that they were "working to win week 10". That's all fine and good, but what about working to win games 1 thru 9. After a game, the only game that should matter at that time is working to win the next game - not one that is several weeks out.  

Are we as the GC faithful spoiled...absolutely. We have a tradition of winning and we expect to do so. However, even in the "down" years of the past, we could see bright spots for the future. Now with Akers at the helm, not so much. I just hope he doesn't bring us down to the point of no return.

No final decision has been made. People showed up at the last school board meeting but no one would speak. Can't get anything accomplished like that.