Gate City Football

Leatherhead Larry

It shows both.  Bottom line is this...........a coach will coach his or her way to eventual success or the coach will coach his or her way to lack of success, IF....again....IF.....one more time....IF enough time is given to get a valid statistical sample.  3 years, in my opinion, is enough for a High School Coach to show improvement and show signs of "turning it around" or "getting worse."  I believe this and I've always said on this board that every High School Coach should get 3 years.  That includes Akers.  I also think he will have another year at Gate City and this will be the year that makes him or breaks him (2018).  The talent is down some, and if he turns it around, he will stay, but if he does not turn it around, he will be gone.  In my opinion, he does not turn it around and is gone about 12 months from this posting. 

Understand this one key component that makes it tough in SWVA.  A Head Coach does not get to pick his assistants 100%.  When I write 100%, I mean.....he doesn't say I want A, B, C, and D, and these folks will be PAID.  This means, he would need a spot for Coach A who is an English Teacher, or Coach B who is a Phy Ed Teacher, or Coach C who is a Biology-Science Teacher, and the school board simply accommodates or fills the spot for 3 or so assistants and pays them.  This is not just SWVA, but for most of the country.  At larger schools, especially in the South, the above actually happens.  Therefore, if the Head Coach wants his assistants (Coaches A, B, C, and D) there is a high likelihood that only Coach A gets a job and is paid at the school, and the rest would have to be volunteer.  Well, with the economy in SWVA, how many can afford to commit their time and not get paid?  It's the same across most of the country, unless its the South, or it's a huge school and football power such as in Texas or larger cities in the US that has boosters that will simply give 50K per year to the "unpaid assistants."

What is my point with all of the above?  In SWVA or any small school, you really, really, really, really, better have a Head Coach like the man in Richlands that knows what he is doing and can "coach up" his assistants, and the importance of hiring the right guy truly means a huge difference in success (outcomes) compared to the other local-small schools in which you compete.

It's similar in all of the United States or Southwest Va, unless you have a staff that has been there for 25 years, etc and has had success, or it's a large school in a city that is a football power or in the South and a large school who have a huge booster club that can pay the money.  These teachers who are paid and on staff are almost always, not the personal choices of the Head Coaches.  With that said, the majority aren't, but usually, you have 1 who is, and this can usually be worked with by local school boards even at smaller schools in our area that will give the Head Coach 1 assistant of choice and paid, but imagine a Head Coach coming to Gate City from a 5A Georgia School (already in the works by the way, but lets save that for post 10 months from now) and you say, I want Assistant A, B, and C, and they need to be paid.  It's not happening.  He will likely get 1,and the rest are the folks already on staff and teaching, or whoever he can get to volunteer.  This reinforces the point that it's critically important to get the right Head Coach that can "coach up" is assistants, of which 80% of them aren't going to be his first personal choice.  With that written, I'm interested in Graham in 2019 when the talent runs out.  We'll see if UVAobserver or EH31 have the same comments about the G-Men as they have had about Gate City.  Graham's on the clock....meaning....a state title or state title appearance is either in the next 5 weeks or next year, because after that (2019) we are going to see just how good Graham's Head Coach is and those assistants are.  If 2019 is a solid season, then it will tell much about the coach, but if 2019 is a poor season, it may tell us much more about the Head Coach.  Why bring this up?  Because UVAObserver felt the need to chime in about a Gate City discussion (again); therefore, I simply returned the favor (again).

5 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

It's similar in all of the United States or Southwest Va, unless you have a staff that has been there for 25 years, etc and has had success, or it's a large school in a city that is a football power or in the South and a large school who have a huge booster club that can pay the money.  These teachers who are paid and on staff are almost always, not the personal choices of the Head Coaches.  With that said, the majority aren't, but usually, you have 1 who is, and this can usually be worked with by local school boards even at smaller schools in our area that will give the Head Coach 1 assistant of choice and paid, but imagine a Head Coach coming to Gate City from a 5A Georgia School (already in the works by the way, but lets save that for post 10 months from now) and you say, I want Assistant A, B, and C, and they need to be paid.  It's not happening.  He will likely get 1,and the rest are the folks already on staff and teaching, or whoever he can get to volunteer.  This reinforces the point that it's critically important to get the right Head Coach that can "coach up" is assistants, of which 80% of them aren't going to be his first personal choice.  With that written, I'm interested in Graham in 2019 when the talent runs out.  We'll see if UVAobserver or EH31 have the same comments about the G-Men as they have had about Gate City.  Graham's on the clock....meaning....a state title or state title appearance is either in the next 5 weeks or next year, because after that (2019) we are going to see just how good Graham's Head Coach is and those assistants are. 

If you think Herron is coming here you are nuts. And if he does I will apologize. ( I assume you are talking about Jeff Herron)  

Not talking about Herron, and shouldn't have wrote 5A Georgia.  I was using that as an example of a big school in the South.  Nope, I'm not talking about Herron, and I'm not talking about Georgia either.  Lets just say South of Gate City and a much larger school.  Time will tell.  The issue to be worked out?  The exact same thing we are talking about in this thread.  Assistants, paid, unpaid, how many, etc.? 

13 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

It's similar in all of the United States or Southwest Va, unless you have a staff that has been there for 25 years, etc and has had success, or it's a large school in a city that is a football power or in the South and a large school who have a huge booster club that can pay the money.  These teachers who are paid and on staff are almost always, not the personal choices of the Head Coaches.  With that said, the majority aren't, but usually, you have 1 who is, and this can usually be worked with by local school boards even at smaller schools in our area that will give the Head Coach 1 assistant of choice and paid, but imagine a Head Coach coming to Gate City from a 5A Georgia School (already in the works by the way, but lets save that for post 10 months from now) and you say, I want Assistant A, B, and C, and they need to be paid.  It's not happening.  He will likely get 1,and the rest are the folks already on staff and teaching, or whoever he can get to volunteer.  This reinforces the point that it's critically important to get the right Head Coach that can "coach up" is assistants, of which 80% of them aren't going to be his first personal choice.  With that written, I'm interested in Graham in 2019 when the talent runs out.  We'll see if UVAobserver or EH31 have the same comments about the G-Men as they have had about Gate City.  Graham's on the clock....meaning....a state title or state title appearance is either in the next 5 weeks or next year, because after that (2019) we are going to see just how good Graham's Head Coach is and those assistants are.  If 2019 is a solid season, then it will tell much about the coach, but if 2019 is a poor season, it may tell us much more about the Head Coach.  Why bring this up?  Because UVAObserver felt the need to chime in about a Gate City discussion (again); therefore, I simply returned the favor (again).

I think if you go back and check you may find many at graham had a lot to say about coach marrs during his time ashead coach and how he ran the program into the ground.thst alone would give people from graham a bit of insight to comment on gate city

6 minutes ago, ghs73 said:

I think if you go back and check you may find many at graham had a lot to say about coach marrs during his time ashead coach and how he ran the program into the ground.thst alone would give people from graham a bit of insight to comment on gate city

And Mike Williams afterwards. 

15 minutes ago, TTownTigers said:

Not talking about Herron, and shouldn't have wrote 5A Georgia.  I was using that as an example of a big school in the South.  Nope, I'm not talking about Herron, and I'm not talking about Georgia either.  Lets just say South of Gate City and a much larger school.  Time will tell.  The issue to be worked out?  The exact same thing we are talking about in this thread.  Assistants, paid, unpaid, how many, etc.? 

Oh no, is it a Sensabaugh rumor or are we going after Stacey Carter. If it's Carter, the only two he takes everywhere with him are the Nelson brothers, maybe we could lure Whitten away from Betsy Hmm!

4 hours ago, ghs73 said:

I agree with you, but there is a difference in insight and honest discussion versus true hatred for a program and piling on at every opportunity. There's a big difference. Some non GC fans have posted with honest insight and with the attempt at true dialogue in these GC threads, but a few have taken another route. And again in this thread, you have a poster (same one in UVAobserver) offering nothing to the discussion. It's a simple example of childish behavior. 

16 hours ago, 99Bama said:

I dont what the circumstances are at Gate City as far as assistants go. But at Graham there are very few male teachers to begin with and even fewer who are willing to help coach. GMan or UVAO may know the exact number of teachers that are on the current staff but Im sure its very few. 2 or 3 maybe? 

You’re in the ballpark.  

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:55 PM, Leatherhead Larry said:

Scott County School Board Meeting this Thursday, November 9th @ 6:30pm. I urge you to be in attendance if you are a Gate City Football player, parent, or fan. 

what happened at the meeting???

2 hours ago, Blue 72 said:

what happened at the meeting???

Must have not went to the satisfaction of most, or the board would be active about it.