Getting some personal insight into college recruiting

RichlandsAlum

Picking up on observations about the college recruiting game (at least as it pertains to soccer).

Three kids from Liberty are planning to play at the Division III level next year.  One of those is actually going to run track, but also plans to explore the possibility of walking on the soccer team at his school.  (And a fourth kid is actually going to play football at a Division II school.)

The most intriguing case to me is the kid who -- by every possible estimation -- is the most talented member of the team (and probably one of the most talented overall in the history of the program).  He has played travel ball at the highest possible level for several years, participated in the Olympic Development Program, and pretty much done everything possible to put himself out there for consideration.  I don't think Division III was what he had in mind -- although I have little doubt that he will play brilliantly at that level.  But he just doesn't stand out in terms of his physical profile.  I'm sure that the fact that we are finishing the season with a losing record and far short of qualifying for the regional playoffs probably isn't helping him much, either.  (Then again, that last point obviously didn't impact the ability of the other two seniors to move on to the next level.)

• 4 months later...

This will be an epilogue of sorts (at least for the experience of my oldest son).

Boy the First has completed his college application process.  He has applied early decision to Virginia Tech.  His backup school is UNC Charlotte.  If he is accepted at Tech (highly likely), that's where he is going.  If not, he will go to Charlotte.  We should know for sure by the middle of December.

I was off about the major.  He will be studying Political Science.  He will not be playing soccer in college (at least not for the college team).  Tech was never an option there.  UNCC actually invited him to camp several times, but he didn't feel like pursuing that (and knew that it would be a long shot).  He is somewhat excited about playing at the rec/intramural level.  Ultimately he will finish his official playing career this spring as captain of his varsity team.  No real expectations of success but he's focusing on using his leadership role to help support and develop the younger players behind him.  And from my perspective as dad, I find that particularly satisfying.

Of his two younger brothers, my second born is actually a better athlete than him.  So I may be yammering more about this in about three or four years if some stars align.

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 12:55 PM, blacksburgsoccer said:

good luck to you son on everything.

I am just curious... what online recruiting service did your son's club team use?

Club used CaptainU.  We were hooked up with them as part of a tournament we played in Richmond.  My son also had a profile with Next College Student Athlete.

For soccer, my perspective was that my son and his teammates got slightly more activity through CaptainU.  But the best networks are still through coaches (both travel and school teams).  

Thanks for the well wishes.  Just waiting to hear from Tech on December 15th.  Hopefully things will be crystal clear then.

• 5 months later...

Epilogue Part Deux....

Since his senior season of high school has pretty much evaporated, boy is now planning to give a serious shot at walking on the varsity team at Virginia Tech.  If that doesn't pan out (and I can't imagine there are any kind of odds that it will), he will then take a stab at playing for the club level team and/or finding some kind of supporting/administrative role with the varsity program.

Crazy world, ain't it?