Region 2D Championship: Graham @ Union

Deleted Account

Both teams absolutely rolling right now, and both teams capable of being up 21-0 or 28-7 QUICK.

If either team falls behind like that, it's probably over. But I'm expecting a tight, 4th quarter game with a big mistake costing someone and allowing other team to get a little separation and hang on late.

4 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

Is Graham going to be healthy coming into this game? 

Mostly. Mike Mason was taken off by stretcher tonight. I didn't see what happened but it was scary to see him laying there. He did move around a little bit so I hope that's a good sign. He's a guy that you won't see show up in the box score very often but he's an important player on defense and he's a good lead blocker when they go to a bigger backfield. 

1 minute ago, EH31 said:

Mostly. Mike Mason was taken off by stretcher tonight. I didn't see what happened but it was scary to see him laying there. He did move around a little bit so I hope that's a good sign. He's a guy that you won't see show up in the box score very often but he's an important player on defense and he's a good lead blocker when they go to a bigger backfield. 

Ah, that's awful for him but hopefully for the long run he's okay. 

Back to the game. I think the key to this game will come down to Unions ability to contain Allen when he scrambles out of the pocket. Don't get me wrong, Cooke is a beast, and he is always going to get his. But Union CAN NOT let Allen scramble and pick up chunk plays. Call me a homer, but it's tough to come down to Big Stone Gap and win. 

Union - 27

Graham - 19

Graham has me worried. They are a well coached solid team that could give the bears a fit. Two things gives union the edge. Home field advantage and home field advantage. I look for this to be one heck of a game. 

Prayers for this young man. I was at the game leaving early when he got hurt and you could hear a pin drop. 

This is going to be one heck of a game. My heart says Graham gets the upset but this is Union and the game is at Union. This will come down to who makes the most mistakes and which team will take advantage. Honest opinion I believe the Union crowd will rattle Graham early and they will fumble a couple times. Union will take advantage and go up early and Graham won’t catch up. 35-21 Union. 

My heart and maroon and gold blood says Graham 42-38

Union by 13. Graham’s OL isn’t ready for what Unions front 7 is. It’s a beast. That said, Cooke will break a few passes wide open with his speed. I’ll take Union simply because of the advantage of the lines. Graham hasn’t seen a defense like this all season. 

9 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Union by 13. Graham’s OL isn’t ready for what Unions front 7 is. It’s a beast. That said, Cooke will break a few passes wide open with his speed. I’ll take Union simply because of the advantage of the lines. Graham hasn’t seen a defense like this all season. 

Giving credit where credit is due. Props to you sir. 

9 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

By that same token, Union hasn’t seen the offensive horses Graham has, either.  I trust defense more than offense in these situations, but I’d be shocked if this was greater than a 1 score game either way.

I feel like this will be a game that comes down to the last minute. Graham seems to get better and better every week. I'm glad I've gotten to watch them play 4 times this year, as they are a fun team to watch. It all falls on these 2 teams to bring the Trophy back to SWVA for 2A. Though I picked Union in the bracket challenge, I'm taking Graham 28-27.

Graham seemed to struggle containing Ford in your Marion game. I’m tickled at the anti Union stuff on here. So pro Tazewell county. We have many more weapons than one player. But hey, y’all might be spot on. But I doubt it. Too many weapons and home field advantage will seal the deal for Union. 

11 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I agree pretty much with what Ryan has said.  I think there are 2 advantages that Union will have that will see them win in what should be a fun and exciting game to watch.

One is the front 7 of Union,  which is at least as good as the Richlands front 7 .....if not better and of course the home field advantage.  I think that Graham has an advantage of over all team speed which can be so very dangerous and that will give Graham a chance to go down there and have at legitimantt chance to win the game. But I think the home field and the line play will be the deciding factor.  But I am getting old and my wife says I am a little senile so there you go.

It should be a great game and I wish both teams good luck and hope one of them brings back a state championship to SWVA !!!!

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

By that same token, Union hasn’t seen the offensive horses Graham has, either.  I trust defense more than offense in these situations, but I’d be shocked if this was greater than a 1 score game either way.

That has been said every week.  Union hasn't seen an o like we have.  Union can't defend the pass. Union isn't ready for our running back.  Union can't keep up with our speed.  Don't get me wrong, Graham is a very balanced team but Union has faced a running back just as good (Ford from Marion)  and a QB just as good (Letcher Co kid,  John Battle kid,  Marion kid) all of whom we have kept out of the end zone and intercepted. Union is battle tested just like Graham.  The difference is Unions defense. I sat at the game last night and a man behind me was talking with his wife.  He was throwing out coaching terms and so on in a central VA accent, figured he was scouting the game for someone from regions a or b.  Either way,  he said that Unions defense is by far the best he has seen anywhere in 2A. He was truly impressed with how we contained Marion's backs.  By the third quarter he was saying watch Marion start passing and get back in the game.  Union had a pick and plenty of hurries causing incompletions and a sack or two.  By the fourth quarter he told his buddy "this may be unions year to win.  I did not expect to such a dominate game.  I thought Marion would have kept it close". Union has faced an o like Graham but it's been over three or four different teams,  never all together on one team but I promise Graham hasn't faced a d like union. 

12 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

That has been said every week.  Union hasn't seen an o like we have.  Union can't defend the pass. Union isn't ready for our running back.  Union can't keep up with our speed.  Don't get me wrong, Graham is a very balanced team but Union has faced a running back just as good (Ford from Marion)  and a QB just as good (Letcher Co kid,  John Battle kid,  Marion kid) all of whom we have kept out of the end zone and intercepted. Union is battle tested just like Graham.  The difference is Unions defense. I sat at the game last night and a man behind me was talking with his wife.  He was throwing out coaching terms and so on in a central VA accent, figured he was scouting the game for someone from regions a or b.  Either way,  he said that Unions defense is by far the best he has seen anywhere in 2A. He was truly impressed with how we contained Marion's backs.  By the third quarter he was saying watch Marion start passing and get back in the game.  Union had a pick and plenty of hurries causing incompletions and a sack or two.  By the fourth quarter he told his buddy "this may be unions year to win.  I did not expect to such a dominate game.  I thought Marion would have kept it close". Union has faced an o like Graham but it's been over three or four different teams,  never all together on one team but I promise Graham hasn't faced a d like union. 

Granted they have seen individual good players on many teams but not on one team.easy to plan for a good running back on a team. But graham has a good qb. And several good backs and several good receivers.so now you have to defend not one player on a team but several good players on one team.makes for a more challenging situation.

10 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

I thought Graham's offense last night was the best I've seen it all year. From the play calling and the execution. With that said I realize Grayson isnt Union either and that will definitely change things. Im afraid Graham fans are about to see what D1 talent looks like. 

Graham had D1 talent on their team?

46 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

If you think Marion's QB or John Battle's QB is just as good as Cam Allen from Graham then you're going to be disappointed Saturday night. 

Marion isn't a passing team so if you're sacking them or intercepting them when they're down by 3 scores and pressing then that should be expected. No offense to Marion because Ford is a great player, but if graham goes 4 wide then they will have 4 better receivers on the field at one time than you seen all game last night. 

I know Unions front 7 is probably the best Graham has played so far this year but just last week everyone was talking about how Richlands had one of the best defenses in the area when they held Union to 13. Plus Bluefield's starters have only given up around 7 points per game. So it's not like Graham hasn't played any good defenses. 

Lastly, I know Union has an awesome home field advantage playing Bullit but don't forget that Graham plays a game in front of more than 10,000 people every year. I don't think that will rattle them as much as what it could other teams. 

29 minutes ago, ghs73 said:

Granted they have seen individual good players on many teams but not on one team.easy to plan for a good running back on a team. But graham has a good qb. And several good backs and several good receivers.so now you have to defend not one player on a team but several good players on one team.makes for a more challenging situation.

That is going to be the challenge for Graham as well.  Union will be bringing three to four different kids that can run the ball very well.  Union on the other hand has faced teams with talent on offense almost (and I say almost because they were almost) as good as Graham and shut them down.  Defense wins championships and Union can control the clock keeping Grahams o on the sidelines and Union can stop Graham more often than they will be able to score.  Union will win but Graham will give em a good game. 

3 minutes ago, EH31 said:

If you think Marion's QB or John Battle's QB is just as good as Cam Allen from Graham then you're going to be disappointed Saturday night. 

Marion isn't a passing team so if you're sacking them or intercepting them when they're down by 3 scores and pressing then that should be expected. No offense to Marion because Ford is a great player, but if graham goes 4 wide then they will have 4 better receivers on the field at one time than you seen all game last night. 

I know Unions front 7 is probably the best Graham has played so far this year but just last week everyone was talking about how Richlands had one of the best defenses in the area when they held Union to 13. Plus Bluefield's starters have only given up around 7 points per game. So it's not like Graham hasn't played any good defenses. 

Lastly, I know Union has an awesome home field advantage playing Bullit but don't forget that Graham plays a game in front of more than 10,000 people every year. I don't think that will rattle them as much as what it could other teams. 

Letcher Co qb is just as good. Marion's qb is right behind grahams qb.  John battles qb had probably one of the best set of legs for scrambling in region d. Graham is no joke but no Richlands d is not as good as unions.  It's probably the closest to ours talent wise but not better. Bluefields d I have not seen in person to make a judgment call on.  Everyone wants to say Richlands held union to 13 which they did.  Guys that's a rivalry game and we know how rivalry games go.  They are very seldom a blow out.  I talked about that last week.  Marion fans saying Richlands held y'all to 13. Look at last night and the rest of the season and see what union has done to everyone besides Richlands.  We hammer them. I'm not saying we will hammer Graham but I promise this.  It's hard for grahams offense to score when they don't have the ball.  Union is playing ball control offense and shut down d.  If union can keep the ball away from Graham and stop Graham on at least two drives (which is very reasonable)  then union wins. 

25 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Richlands also took y’all to OT. Held y’all to 13 through regulation too correct?  Sounds like tit for tat when comparing Richlands. Plus Richlands had the benefit of facing us every year and twice this year.