The rematch: Appomattox @ Union

CriticalNoise

IF A COACH HAS QUESTIONED A CALL HE IS ALLOWED TO SPEAK WITH THE HEAD REF(SANTA CLAUS)TO FIND OUT WHY A CALL WAS MADE. THATS THE RULE, NO TIMEOUT NEEDED.tHE SHIFT HAS BEEN LEGAL ALL YEAR, and now its not????the refs were from the Roanoke valley so maybe that was the way they call games there,to understand the VHSL way of hiring different organizations for its games officials one would have to have a degree in "DUMB ASS".The game is over, things will not change even if it was the most blatant foul ever, so lets move on , a block here a tackle there ,a catch or a good punt, we can what if all day but its over ....enjoy the memories of that day.All the kids played hard, I hope APPO DESTROYS R E LEE, that way we can say we didnt loose to APPO. , we just ran out of time

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:25 PM, BlueRazor said:

I agree... special teams was the difference.

Special teams have killed me all year long. Kickoffs being ran back to midfield, punts being short and bad bounces, lack of hitting and tackling on special teams. To me, you have to make those plays count. Maybe now coaches will see that and work on it for future teams. Good luck to Appo in the state game.

1 hour ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Since it was your first time hearing it this year, did you think that it was disrespectful how it was blown? Or will you admit that it was blown right, the same way we’ve been blowing it since 2014. One of the goals of Saturday was to make Appo look bad for how they were complaining that it was blown “inappropriately”. I found it comical that Appo coaches went to the refs before the game even started to complain about it. 

Thanks for asking... horn was great at that game! I heard it blow to hype crowd. It was not blown improperly at all. Now just if yall blew it in 2013 like that...you probably wouldn’t have heard a peep from me in the past. I like the horn, just blow it at right times. Im from Appo, we have a giant festival every year called the Railroad Festival. We have a railroad come straight down beside main street. Horns are no new thing in Appo. Just FYI...glenvar fans complained about it blowing at wrong times as well throughout the years. I spoke with train horn dudes son “trey” on FB and he admitted to blowing it wrong in the past and stated they got away from blowing it during cadence counts and O on field about to run a play. He actually said Giles fans were complaining about that as well. Now that surprised me.

1 hour ago, BoBob said:

Horn was fine.  In fact as I sat here in Appomattox the other day I heard the train whistle and it put a smile on my face.

Done talking about the mythical holding call.  It was in mid field but the play was coming out way so the visitors sidelines had a great view on 82's inside shoulder and how 2 was pushing that shoulder area.  He had enough leverage to not allow 82 to get turned.  Don't trust my word I understand that, but I had guys from Ridge View, Gate City and another SWVA school sitting right beside me .... IE .....they had the same view I did and NONE of them were complaining about a holding call!   I will also say that these same guys erupted when 82 broke his long TD run.  They were pulling for Union but non of them said a word about a "holding call".

They did question how a coach can walk clear to mid field to argue a illegal procedure call and stop the game for 60-120 seconds and THEN call a timeout.  Kinda funny that they shanked the punt right after that (although I feel for the kid).

Yep, you had most of the Mountain 7 district represented there in your little section... Lol.

You had me from Ridgeview, folks from Gate City, Lee High, Abingdon and Wise Central all there.  Only school missing was Battle.

2 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

IF A COACH HAS QUESTIONED A CALL HE IS ALLOWED TO SPEAK WITH THE HEAD REF(SANTA CLAUS)TO FIND OUT WHY A CALL WAS MADE. THATS THE RULE, NO TIMEOUT NEEDED.tHE SHIFT HAS BEEN LEGAL ALL YEAR, and now its not????the refs were from the Roanoke valley so maybe that was the way they call games there,to understand the VHSL way of hiring different organizations for its games officials one would have to have a degree in "DUMB ASS".The game is over, things will not change even if it was the most blatant foul ever, so lets move on , a block here a tackle there ,a catch or a good punt, we can what if all day but its over ....enjoy the memories of that day.All the kids played hard, I hope APPO DESTROYS R E LEE, that way we can say we didnt loose to APPO. , we just ran out of time

I guess I've seen them call and official over but never go to mid field and stop the game.  

I questioned in film how they got away with that "shift".  It;s clearly meant to draw a team off sides.

Anyway.  I did like the Horn.  Thought it added to a great environment.

12 minutes ago, BoBob said:

I guess I've seen them call and official over but never go to mid field and stop the game.  

I questioned in film how they got away with that "shift".  It;s clearly meant to draw a team off sides.

He went out to get an explanation while the officials still had the game stopped from sorting out the penalty. They then started the play clock and he was still standing out there. He has 25 seconds before he had to do anything. He argued for a few seconds and then called timeout to continue arguing. Didn’t see what was wrong with what he did. 

17 minutes ago, BoBob said:

They've been running that shift on punts for years. NEVER been called against us. Not even in KY and that says a LOT. If the kids aren't set they can move laterally all they want. Why aren't all these muddle huddles called on XPs? That's literally everyone but the center shifting.

I won't argue about the effect this play had on the final score because we'll never know for sure, BUT I will question why that same shift that has been done at least 20 times over 7 years in 3 different states in front of countless officials gets called at a crucial moment in a semi-final game....that is what is leaving Union folks scratching their heads.

3 hours ago, BoBob said:

Horn was fine.  In fact as I sat here in Appomattox the other day I heard the train whistle and it put a smile on my face.

Done talking about the mythical holding call.  It was in mid field but the play was coming out way so the visitors sidelines had a great view on 82's inside shoulder and how 2 was pushing that shoulder area.  He had enough leverage to not allow 82 to get turned.  Don't trust my word I understand that, but I had guys from Ridge View, Gate City and another SWVA school sitting right beside me .... IE .....they had the same view I did and NONE of them were complaining about a holding call!   I will also say that these same guys erupted when 82 broke his long TD run.  They were pulling for Union but non of them said a word about a "holding call".

They did question how a coach can walk clear to mid field to argue a illegal procedure call and stop the game for 60-120 seconds and THEN call a timeout.  Kinda funny that they shanked the punt right after that (although I feel for the kid).

The play happened right in front of me.  The blocker had his right hand grabbing the neckline of 82's shoulder pads, and his left was on the shoulder full of jersey.  From the home side, the hold was more than obvious.

2 hours ago, AdvocateOfMany434 said:

Thanks for asking... horn was great at that game! I heard it blow to hype crowd. It was not blown improperly at all. Now just if yall blew it in 2013 like that...you probably wouldn’t have heard a peep from me in the past. I like the horn, just blow it at right times. Im from Appo, we have a giant festival every year called the Railroad Festival. We have a railroad come straight down beside main street. Horns are no new thing in Appo. Just FYI...glenvar fans complained about it blowing at wrong times as well throughout the years. I spoke with train horn dudes son “trey” on FB and he admitted to blowing it wrong in the past and stated they got away from blowing it during cadence counts and O on field about to run a play. He actually said Giles fans were complaining about that as well. Now that surprised me.

I watched film on how we blew it in 2012 and 2013 and I could see how people might get upset. I wouldn't ever go as far as to say that it cost a team to lose a game, but then again im not on the field playing so idk what it sounds like out there. But no one has had a problem with it in the last few years.

4 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

But you did lose to Appomattox and in 30 years it will still be a loss to Appomattox. Good Call, Bad Call or No Call, Union still lost.

5 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

IF A COACH HAS QUESTIONED A CALL HE IS ALLOWED TO SPEAK WITH THE HEAD REF(SANTA CLAUS)TO FIND OUT WHY A CALL WAS MADE. THATS THE RULE, NO TIMEOUT NEEDED

Actually a timeout is needed.  A coach cannot go onto the field to discuss a penalty and delay the game without calling timeout.  

3 hours ago, BoBob said:

A shift in and of itself is legal.  If a shift is made the simiulates a snap, then it is illegal.  I have not seen the play in question so I wouldnt comment on Saturdays interpretation by the official either way. 

6 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Thanks for clearing that up for me as i dont know the ins and outs of the rules. I was listening to the other appo fans and trust me i do not always agree with them lol. 

7 hours ago, BoBob said:

He wanted clarification for the obvious incorrect call? Union has done that all season long and it's perfectly legal. It was incorrectly flagged and turned out to be a huge call.

It was good seeing you while you were in line , hope you got a good seat and glad you got home safely.how did you like BULLITT PARK by the way?

1 hour ago, oldfool said:

Thanks for clearing that up for me as i dont know the ins and outs of the rules. I was listening to the other appo fans and trust me i do not always agree with them lol. 

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

It was good seeing you while you were in line , hope you got a good seat and glad you got home safely.how did you like BULLITT PARK by the way?

You too bro. Bullit Park was very nice and i enjoyed chatting with some of the Union fans at the game. I look forward to coming back again someday.

4 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

A shift in and of itself is legal.  If a shift is made the simiulates a snap, then it is illegal.  I have not seen the play in question so I wouldnt comment on Saturdays interpretation by the official either way. 

its the same shift Union has ran for 7 years, like someone else said, the muddle huddle we run, what's the difference. 

1 hour ago, CriticalNoise said:

its the same shift Union has ran for 7 years, like someone else said, the muddle huddle we run, what's the difference. 

In general, nothing.  The only thing I would say would have been a possibility would have been if someone would have made a move that was unusual to a shift/simulating a snap.

The refs told the chain gang “ there’s a right way and a wrong way to run the shift, you all didn’t do it right” never explained himself?????whatever!!!its over , I am done , Appo get you some Lee surrender ....again

I see everyone pretty much talking about the no call on the holding. I was sitting on the top row of the home side about midfield. It's a great view of the entire field. Not only was there the no call on the holding of Union's # 82, but also two no calls on two blocks in the back during special teams. These three no calls were right smack dab in front of the back judge. All three were on separate occasions which highly contributed to Appos three TD's in the first half. He also did not call a push off from an Appo WR on Unions # 10 DB at Unions goal line. The back judge was just horrible. The ref was also very confused. Very unsure of himself. He needs to be re-educated on what an illegal shift is and what's not. I've seen several articles in regards to this game stating that special teams made the difference for Appo. Well, I guess I would have to agree with that since special teams is where the no calls took place. Union was a two TD better team than Appo. It's just that they had to play the officials the first half.