2018 Midterm Elections

cavalieratmosphere

I look for Sen. Cornyn to make a vote of no confidence on Sen. McConnel. This sets the plan in motion for Sen. Cornyn to become the Chancellor, announcing Paul Ryan as his new apprentice to help quell rebellions in his new version of democracy. 

• 2 weeks later...

9 hours ago, mountainman74 said:

Griffith has to go. He has been the most absent, do nothing representative we have ever had. Boucher is sorely missed.

More “do nothing” than Boucher?  So long as he shows up to the Capitol alive he’s at least done as much as Boucher.  Boucher mailed it in since the middle of the Clinton administration.

There has been substantial amounts of public-private investment in SWVA since Griffith took office in 2012, a few projects which we wouldn’t have were it not for Griffith’s advocacy.  And there’s more in the pipeline that I am not at liberty to say.

We are are totally opposite on opinion on that one.  Boucher continuously had town halls and visited the district. Not the same for griffith.  His party line stances are starving his district.  Lack of funding is killing us, especially far southwest.   Griffith has a 7% voting score from labor unions and the afl-cio.  Those numbers are based on how he votes on policies that affect working families. I meet with him personally, along with state level politicians in the general assembly.  He isnt for us.   But I respect your opinion. 

On 1/1/2018 at 10:00 AM, mountainman74 said:

We are are totally opposite on opinion on that one.  Boucher continuously had town halls and visited the district. Not the same for griffith.  His party line stances are starving his district.  Lack of funding is killing us, especially far southwest.   Griffith has a 7% voting score from labor unions and the afl-cio.  Those numbers are based on how he votes on policies that affect working families. I meet with him personally, along with state level politicians in the general assembly.  He isnt for us.   But I respect your opinion. 

That gives me another reason to vote for Morgan Griffith.

On 12/31/2017 at 6:00 PM, UVAObserver said:

More “do nothing” than Boucher?  So long as he shows up to the Capitol alive he’s at least done as much as Boucher.  Boucher mailed it in since the middle of the Clinton administration.

There has been substantial amounts of public-private investment in SWVA since Griffith took office in 2012, a few projects which we wouldn’t have were it not for Griffith’s advocacy.  And there’s more in the pipeline that I am not at liberty to say.

I know Griffin personally along with another member of his inner-staff.  He's not a likable person in the least.  With that said, I am currently working on projects all across SWVA (with others contracted to begin in 2018) that wouldn't be feasible without his presence in office.  As with UVAO, I'm not at liberty to discus further but it's a positive for our region.   

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

• 6 months later...

2 hours ago, cavalieratmosphere said:

It's gonna be Flaccavento vs Griffith next month. Do you think it will be a blowout like in 2012? Will the Democrats retake the House and/or Senate?

Before the Kavanaugh hearings, the Democrats were poised for a big win in the House and a possible shot at the Senate.  They overplayed their hand and fired-up the GOP base.  The Democrats will still win the House but by a slimmer margin than before.  They have virtually no shot at the Senate. 

8 hours ago, Boomhauer said:

Who is everyone supporting in the midterms?

I'm generally conservative.  However, for the Virginia U.S. Senate seat, Corey Stewart is a terrible candidate running in a state that has already pretty roundly rejected his Trumpism rhetoric.  He's not winning anybody that didn't vote for Trump, and Trump lost Virginia handily.  In terms of "local" races, I have no clue what the GOP was thinking nominating Carol Miller to run against the "cult of personality" known as Richard Ojeda.  Miller has the personality of a doorknob and is so deep in the pockets of the pharmaceutical companies that she's eating lint.  Since a lot of the "I voted for the Demmycrats cuz my daddy did it" crowd has (thankfully) faded, this is a race the GOP has zero business losing.  Yet, here it is, 3 weeks out, and Ojeda's within the margin for error.   Were I a resident of West Virginia, I'd be voting for Ojeda, and I've never voted for a Democrat in a national race.  The GOP has some serious soul searching to do before 2020.

That being said, for VA-9, the Democrats pretty much threw in the towel the moment they selected Anthony Flaccavento.  He lost to Griffith 61%-39% the last time he ran, and he's polling pretty much dead on that again.  VA-9 is the 27th most conservative district in the U.S. as to voting trends, and considering that Griffith has done much more than his predecessor, it's no shock that Flaccavento is about a 125:1 underdog.

On 10/16/2018 at 8:57 AM, UVAObserver said:

I'm generally conservative.  However, for the Virginia U.S. Senate seat, Corey Stewart is a terrible candidate running in a state that has already pretty roundly rejected his Trumpism rhetoric.  He's not winning anybody that didn't vote for Trump, and Trump lost Virginia handily.  In terms of "local" races, I have no clue what the GOP was thinking nominating Carol Miller to run against the "cult of personality" known as Richard Ojeda.  Miller has the personality of a doorknob and is so deep in the pockets of the pharmaceutical companies that she's eating lint.  Since a lot of the "I voted for the Demmycrats cuz my daddy did it" crowd has (thankfully) faded, this is a race the GOP has zero business losing.  Yet, here it is, 3 weeks out, and Ojeda's within the margin for error.   Were I a resident of West Virginia, I'd be voting for Ojeda, and I've never voted for a Democrat in a national race.  The GOP has some serious soul searching to do before 2020.

That being said, for VA-9, the Democrats pretty much threw in the towel the moment they selected Anthony Flaccavento.  He lost to Griffith 61%-39% the last time he ran, and he's polling pretty much dead on that again.  VA-9 is the 27th most conservative district in the U.S. as to voting trends, and considering that Griffith has done much more than his predecessor, it's no shock that Flaccavento is about a 125:1 underdog.

I’m not very locked into local politics, but what exactly has Griffith done for 9th? (Not being a smartass) I’m genuinely asking. 

57 minutes ago, Boomhauer said:

I’m not very locked into local politics, but what exactly has Griffith done for 9th? (Not being a smartass) I’m genuinely asking. 

Sure.  He’s been most effective in with regards to energy legislation, especially on hydropower, which I believe is the wave of the future.  He’s also voted generally in line with conservatives on important matters for SWVA, such as opioid litigation and small business protection.  That alone is far greater than what Boucher accomplished in his waning years.

4 hours ago, 99Bama said:

I saw a headline in the BDT this morning about Tazewell County wanting to start a meals tax. I didnt read the article, does anyone know how much the proposed tax is and what it's going to be used for? 

Yes, I admit I was briefly reading the BDT. Lol

The Meals Tax would be used for (1) school security officers and (2) fire and rescue personnel.  The tax would be capped at 4% of prepared meals within Tazewell County (excluding towns).  The Board of Supervisors would need to allocate how much goes where, as the referendum doesn’t do that.