GC 64 North Mecklenburg 80

Great City

Im really suprised that GC was within striking distance with 3 mins left. (no trying to be negative....just didn't see it happening) Didnt think they would would be able to hang with those guys for that long.  If someone for the Devils would crash the boards consistently the sky would be the limit.   I think the defense is going to continuously improve so im not worried about that end as much as i once was. 

Yeah..........if you had told me it was going to be a 7 point game with 6 minutes to go, I would have taken it in a heartbeat. Meck is a good team. Not the best matchup for us. We are going to have issues against teams that pound the boards. Looks like George and Sharpe will determine our rebounding future. Hopefully Meck will be the best team we play this year.

Kind of worried about a letdown against Tennessee High tomorrow. Team did not play as well as they could have. Have some kids a little down about their performances,  it is an early morning game, and we are playing a team on their home court.  All the ingredients to lay an egg.

According to the Kingsport Times-News, Mecklenburg outrebounded us 40-18. Includes 14 offensive rebounds that they turned into 21 points.

Mac:  "......I didn't control the game and I take the blame on that. I've got to set the tone, and that's on me."

Zac: "We had entirely too many turnovers and got outrebounded badly, and that's on me. I'm the biggest guy on the team and I've got to take more of that load. I did a poor job of that tonight."

Meck Coach Lewis: "Those two guys can really play. They are as good as it gets. Gate City, Charlotte, New York City, those guys can play anywhere. And they compete and play hard. They are intense and get after it, and you appreciate players like that."

3 hours ago, Great City said:

According to the Kingsport Times-News, Mecklenburg outrebounded us 40-18. Includes 14 offensive rebounds that they turned into 21 points.

Mac:  "......I didn't control the game and I take the blame on that. I've got to set the tone, and that's on me."

Zac: "We had entirely too many turnovers and got outrebounded badly, and that's on me. I'm the biggest guy on the team and I've got to take more of that load. I did a poor job of that tonight."

Sounds like those 2 have their head in the right place.

I really like the humility and class Mac and Zac demonstrated in their comments, but as has been indicated, N Meck was/is a tall order for GC.

I think the trap for Mac in this game could have been trying to do too much -- I think they both played really well and stopped short of forcing looks and over extending. Aside from his point total, Mac created a lot last night. He fed Zac on some of his threes and got Dean and others involved in some looks that just didn't go down. Solid effort.

5 hours ago, Great City said:

Yeah..........if you had told me it was going to be a 7 point game with 6 minutes to go, I would have taken it in a heartbeat. Meck is a good team. Not the best matchup for us. We are going to have issues against teams that pound the boards. Looks like George and Sharpe will determine our rebounding future. Hopefully Meck will be the best team we play this year.

Kind of worried about a letdown against Tennessee High tomorrow. Team did not play as well as they could have. Have some kids a little down about their performances,  it is an early morning game, and we are playing a team on their home court.  All the ingredients to lay an egg.

Meck Coach Lewis: "Those two guys can really play. They are as good as it gets. Gate City, Charlotte, New York City, those guys can play anywhere. And they compete and play hard. They are intense and get after it, and you appreciate players like that."

I’ve seen Tennessee High play Union and even if GC has a down game I think they will win by 10-15+

50 minutes ago, honestjohn said:

I really hope Gate City can win 2A Championship, but they better get some offense from someone other than the big 2.

That has the potential to be an Achilles’ Heel for this Gate City team.  I think Gate City has the best player in all of 2A in McClung, and Ervin might have a compelling case to be ranked #2 right behind McClung.  After that, though, the drop-off is stark, and Gate City looks like most other teams.

My concern for Gate City is a lockdown, grinding defensive team coming out of the East, and holding Gate City in the 50s.  Defensively, Gate City is a strong, but not elite, unit. If a team has the defensive horses to limit McClung and Ervin, and can shoot respectably, it could be a nightmare for the Devils. 

Easier said than done though.  Virginia HS boys’ basketball is notoriously bad, and Gate City has possibly the best SWVA team I’ve ever seen.  I don’t think any team at this level can out-athlete them like North Mecklenburg did.

25 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

My concern for Gate City is a lockdown, grinding defensive team coming out of the East, and holding Gate City in the 50s.  Defensively, Gate City is a strong, but not elite, unit. If a team has the defensive horses to limit McClung and Ervin, and can shoot respectably, it could be a nightmare for the Devils. 

It will be interesting to see what Radford's pressure defense might do to Gate City if they were to meet up in post season play. Radford is always well coached, usually have the athletes (although they may be down a little this year) and they will have the confidence of winning numerous state championships on their side. I don't believe they will beat Gate City but if Radford can catch the Blue Devils on a night where 1 of the big 2 is struggling it could be a tight game. 

Proud of the fight from the team last night. It’s saying something when a small town is the reason the doors get closed at venue that holds around 6,000 people. And I would easily say there were 1,000 more on top of the max capacity. We were exposed in what areas we need work in. We need others to step up and score. No state championship will come if Mac and Zac are the only ones who are not afraid to shoot. And we are going to truly need George, Sharpe, and especially Ervin to crash the boards hard. Sallee does a great job at this when he sees the court. And everyone is going to have to start using their bodies to box out. I honestly believe we needed more Noe and Sallee last night. Sallee played very good defense vs Knox Christian the other night vs the big guys where he started the game. He didn’t even see the court last night. Noe is a pest on the defensive side of the court and needs more minutes. I don’t normally doubt GC’s gameplan, but I was puzzled. I thought Scotty was getting Sallee ready the other night to play vs N Meck. I guessed wrong on that one. 

10 minutes ago, Widespread_Panic said:

It will be interesting to see what Radford's pressure defense might do to Gate City if they were to meet up in post season play. Radford is always well coached, usually have the athletes (although they may be down a little this year) and they will have the confidence of winning numerous state championships on their side. I don't believe they will beat Gate City but if Radford can catch the Blue Devils on a night where 1 of the big 2 is struggling it could be a tight game. 

We’ll about Radford if we get there. A lot of work to do yet. One game at time for GC. 

Couldn't agree with UVAO and Larry more.  Gate City will likely not face another Virginia based 2A program with athletes comparable to McClung and Ervin and most certainly not anyone the caliber of North Meck.  North Meck is the #1 ranked team in the Charoltte Observer Top 10 in North Carolina.  They are young and extremely talented.  My brother and I were talking about the Ford kid being similar in build, athleticism, ability, style and talent to another North Meck product, VCU standout Jamie Skeen.  Being only a freshman, he may end up better than Skeen.

Radford is a quality program year in and year out.  But they haven't had talent such as McClung and Ervin since the Nichols brothers were in high school.  I believe Gate City would make Radford suffer if they were to pressure them in the open court if and when they meet.