Top 5 players to come from SWVA

WAVE 316

1 hour ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Shoemaker went to Wake Forest for basketball. Houseright and Beasley went to VT for football. 

Jason Horton went to UNC Asheville and Jason Haynes went to Coastal Carolina.  Horton couldn't even get on the floor, and yes the reason he got to Asheville was because he was 7'3".  Plus you had Houseright and Beasley being D1 football players.

34 minutes ago, WaveFan09 said:

Who???

When I was in school in the mid-late 00’s, they had several kids from Australia that I can remember. Never knew their names or anything. Just that they had several internationals for a few years n

46 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

When I was in school in the mid-late 00’s, they had several kids from Australia that I can remember. Never knew their names or anything. Just that they had several internationals for a few years n

They used to invite an Australian high school over for their holiday tournament every year.  I assume that's where they came from.

8 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Duncan graduated the year before Shoemaker arrived. Shoemaker played from 97-01.  I think Warren got to Wake in 99.

Okay gotcha thanks. Warren would have gotten there in 99, he graduated in 98 IIRC. Shoemaker missed playing with the greatest PF and a top 10 all time player by a year. That would have been a helluva conversation starter, "I got to play college ball with Tim Duncan".

one player that hasn't been mentioned is duffy gilmore,  played at ervinton and haysi,   he is the best player to play in this area,   his off court issues were the reason you haven't heard of him or he didn't go anywhere,   this kid was a pure trouble maker,   i saw him put up 50 on oak hill at clinchco in the early 90's and he was basically playing 1 on 5,   very easily could have played in the NBA 

On 1/9/2018 at 3:06 PM, jarhead24219 said:

most of  JERRY MYERS points were well beyond the arch, as well as DENNIS DAVIS,you have to remember POWELL VALLEY went to DB and won, this is during the BUCK VAN HUSS days, when DB was winning AAAAA and TEAMS LIKE KENTUCKY AND TN. used DB 'S GAMES AS RECRUITING TRIPS.BARRY HAMLER SCORED 2096 IN HIS TIME WITHOUT DUNKS OR 3 POINTERS, all the players I named had well over 1000 points, just check the VHSL RECORDS ......bro

Buck Van Huss had a phenomenal career but never won nothing on a state level....speaking of checking the facts! When someone posts any topic on any sport someone from Powell Valley always comes on here and claims that the discussion begins and ends in Big Stone Gap. These people are then shocked to find out there are other people outside of BSG that actually play sports and by how many other people are better than they are!

On 9/1/2020 at 7:56 AM, 1inStripes said:

I dont think Duffy was NBA capable but he was a dandy of a player.  

Nobody has mentioned Kevin Morris!

On 9/4/2020 at 7:17 AM, SXSW said:

Buck Van Huss had a phenomenal career but never won nothing on a state level....speaking of checking the facts! When someone posts any topic on any sport someone from Powell Valley always comes on here and claims that the discussion begins and ends in Big Stone Gap. These people are then shocked to find out there are other people outside of BSG that actually play sports and by how many other people are better than they are!

WHAT A COME BACK, ONLY 2 YEARS IN THE MAKING.NO I DONT THINK EVERYTHING BEGINS AND ENDS IN THE GAP, BUT HECK ITS BEEN 2 YEARS DUDE I BARLEY REMEMBER THIS POST....YOU CAN GET ME BACK IN LETS SAY ....2 YEARS

On 8/30/2020 at 7:37 PM, 1inStripes said:

The two most well known players who were teammates with Shoe at Wake were probably Darius Songalia and Josh Howard.  

Mavs Josh Howard? He was awesome for like three seasons then faded away. 

• 1 year later...

One terrific basketball player to come out of Southwest Virginia was the recently deceased Gregg Belcher of Chilhowie. Played at Carson-Newman and also at ETSU, although I'm not sure how he did. But in high school, he was silk. Missed 2,000 points by just a few.

Also, Ronnie Edwards of Graham (Virginia Tech) and Calvin Cockrell of Tazewell (LMU) -- both the class of 1975 -- were outstanding.... Edwards because of his game, Cockrell because of his physical gifts.

And let's not forget Clarence Hanley of Marion, a 6-10 pure shooter who played four years at ODU. And the late Mike Keith, a fabulous athlete from Rich Valley who gained most of his fame on the gridiron.

In recent years there is the three-headed 2,000-point machine at Gate City -- McClung, Zac Ervin and Bradley Dean. 

On 9/11/2020 at 9:26 AM, stantheman said:

duffy played at haysi,  and like i said he didn't have it between the ears,  

Duffy was great and had a lot of of the court issues.  However, saying someone will make the NBA is a huge leap.  Of the major pro sports in America Id say the NBA is the hardest to get into.  Just because their aren’t a lot of roster spaces.