2018 MLB Thread

4 hours ago, sixcat said:

How does Jacob deGrom retain sanity?  He has an ERA of 1.68 (1st in MLB), a WHIP of 0.98 (5th in MLB) in 182 innings (2nd in MLB) with opposing batters hitting .208 against him (9th in MLB).  And that's good for an 8-8 record!?!?!  I wouldn't have thought that possible before this season. 

deGrom has held opposing teams to 1 or fewer runs 9 times this season.  The Mets are 0-9 in those games.

He seems happy to me.

But seriously, the Cy Young is all he has left to play for this season.  

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fdam%2Fimageserve%2F1004428414%2F960x0.jpg%3Ffit%3Dscale

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

This gives me flashbacks to my GHS baseball days.  We had pitchers who I know had sub 2.00 ERAs yet were 2-8.  I feel for him; bad W/L stats hurt contract negotiations with other teams that don’t favor advanced analytics as much.

It’s funny how pitcher win/loss records are one of the least valuable stats in baseball, yet all anyone talks about come contract negotiation time. 

• 3 weeks later...

On 9/23/2018 at 12:19 AM, Liam McPoyle said:

Congrats to the Braves and their fans.  Meanwhile, in other NL East news, the Nats were officially eliminated from the PS.  Nothing like paying the luxury tax for .500 baseball.

The Nats have baffled the imagination for about 6 seasons now.  They have gotten less out of more than any other professional sports organization over that time period.  Several instances of dugout scuffles going back several years.  Someone who has been around baseball at the highest levels for most of his adult life told me when the Nats shut down Strasburg in the middle of a pennant race, "they are teaching that young man how to not compete."

12 hours ago, sixcat said:

The Nats have baffled the imagination for about 6 seasons now.  They have gotten less out of more than any other professional sports organization over that time period.  Several instances of dugout scuffles going back several years.  Someone who has been around baseball at the highest levels for most of his adult life told me when the Nats shut down Strasburg in the middle of a pennant race, "they are teaching that young man how to not compete."

7 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

I thought that was the dumbest thing ever when it happened, and I love that they are going to be sitting at home.  What a mess they were this year.

I still dont think my Braves are going to win anything this year...........

It's never easy being a Nats fan for all the reasons you've mentioned. But this year has been excruciatingly difficult.  The fire sale after the trade deadline was nearly the final straw for me. I kinda imagine it went something like this. Nats GM Mike Rizzo: "Hey, get Theo Epstein on the phone.  See if he'll trade that kid with the Myrtle Beach Pelicans for Daniel Murphy."

On 9/24/2018 at 9:19 PM, Liam McPoyle said:

It's never easy being a Nats fan for all the reasons you've mentioned. But this year has been excruciatingly difficult.  The fire sale after the trade deadline was nearly the final straw for me. I kinda imagine it went something like this. Nats GM Mike Rizzo: "Hey, get Theo Epstein on the phone.  See if he'll trade that kid with the Myrtle Beach Pelicans for Daniel Murphy."

Frankly, it's not very easy being a Cubs fan at the moment.  Limping into the postseason with a team .211 batting average in September.  Joe Maddon wanted to revamp the coaching staff last offseason in favor of "his guys".  He replaced the hitting coaches and pitching coaches.  Both units have gotten considerably worse this season.  Team ERA is up by a run and a half while giving up more homeruns than any previous Cubs team.  The team batting average has dipped 40 points with team homerun totals dropping by well over 60.  Javy Baez is the only player with numbers at or above previous seasons.

Maddon may have wanted to put together his own staff but it might have cost him his job.  It should, at a minimum, cost the hitting and pitching coaches theirs!

8 hours ago, sixcat said:

Frankly, it's not very easy being a Cubs fan at the moment.  Limping into the postseason with a team .211 batting average in September.  Joe Maddon wanted to revamp the coaching staff last offseason in favor of "his guys".  He replaced the hitting coaches and pitching coaches.  Both units have gotten considerably worse this season.  Team ERA is up by a run and a half while giving up more homeruns than any previous Cubs team.  The team batting average has dipped 40 points with team homerun totals dropping by well over 60.  Javy Baez is the only player with numbers at or above previous seasons.

Maddon may have wanted to put together his own staff but it might have cost him his job.  It should, at a minimum, cost the hitting and pitching coaches theirs!

I’d be shocked if the Dodgers weren’t the ones coming out of the NL this year.

15 hours ago, sixcat said:

As long as he's winning, Joe's unconventional moves make him look like a mad genius.  But when it doesn't work, he just looks crazy.  Maddon always seemed to have Dusty's numbers when he was the Nats' skipper,  Baker used old-school, by the book, proven methods that didn't work against the Cubs. Meanwhile, Joe's unorthodox moves had him pushing all the right buttons.  It finally cost Dusty his job.

On 9/26/2018 at 10:54 PM, Liam McPoyle said:

As long as he's winning, Joe's unconventional moves make him look like a mad genius.  But when it doesn't work, he just looks crazy.  Maddon always seemed to have Dusty's numbers when he was the Nats' skipper,  Baker used old-school, by the book, proven methods that didn't work against the Cubs. Meanwhile, Joe's unorthodox moves had him pushing all the right buttons.  It finally cost Dusty his job.

I, for one, am thrilled that the Gnats’ front office was intelligent enough to dismiss him.  Here’s to more .500 seasons in DC!

Where to begin?  I firmly believe Joe's quirkiness is an asset over 162 games.  But when the season gets condensed into a short playoff series or a win-or-go-home situation, it becomes a distinct disadvantage.  And it may cost him his job!  Rumor is pretty high that Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer are already speaking to Joe Girardi, Mark DeRosa and David Ross.  In my opinion, David Ross is the ideal candidate if a change is made.  Girardi doesn't fit the personnel of the club and DeRosa isn't Ross to the current Cubs clubhouse.

When Dave Martinez left the Cubs following last season to become the manager of the Nats, Joe demanded taking that opportunity to hire "his guys" to surround him as coaches.  He brought in Chili Davis and Jim Hickey.  As a result, the batting and pitching statistics tanked from previous seasons.  As another Cub fan said last night, "Boston fired Chili Davis last season, look at how their offense responded this season!"

The Nats are giving Davey Martinez one more season.  He made some rookie missteps but his team was saddled with injuries.  The front office couldn't stomach another Dusty Baker 95+ win season, only to lose again in the NLDS.  

Meanwhile, Nationals' fans watched Maddon work his mad genius and win titles.  We were hoping Martinez would bring DC some of the same magic.  

• 2 weeks later...

Where will Bryce Harper play game 1 of the 2019 MLB season? (Bovada)

Chicago Cubs +150
Los Angeles Dodgers +350
New York Yankees +450
Philadelphia Phillies +650
Washington Nationals +700
Boston Red Sox +900
Los Angeles Angels +1200
San Francisco Giants +1500

16 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Where will Bryce Harper play game 1 of the 2019 MLB season? (Bovada)

Chicago Cubs +150
Los Angeles Dodgers +350
New York Yankees +450
Philadelphia Phillies +650
Washington Nationals +700
Boston Red Sox +900
Los Angeles Angels +1200
San Francisco Giants +1500

Petulant athlete? 

Overpaid by 3x his value?

GOOD GAWD...THAT’S THE YANKEES’ MUSIC!!!