Preseason/Week 1 Top 10 poll.

Bearcat Dad

On the eve of one of the best days of the year, there is excitement in the air. I know we're still a few weeks away from Game Day, but I believe now is as good a time as any to get our Top 10 lists rolling(unless the mods had other plans, or anyone really objects).

If no one objects, I wouldn't mind keeping tabs on the sites' list throughout the season, as tallied by the votes of all members. If everyone is ok with this, we can give this preseason list a deadline of 11:59 pm on Sunday 8/19, with the final results being posted on Monday morning, 8/20, the final Monday before Opening Week.

Voting can be done on a 1-10 scale. 1st place votes equal 10 pts, 2nd place equals 9 points, and so on. Be really brave and make your list now with no changes, or change as many times as your heart desires, by the deadline. No need to add another post, just edit your initial post. After Opening Week, we can keep the deadlines on each following Sunday night at 11:59 pm, with the new weekly list being posted on Monday mornings, following the previous week's games. Each week's list will be a seperate thread, thru the end of the regular season, so not to cause any confusion.

I will cast the first stone;

1) Bluefield

2) Graham

3) Ridgeview

4) VHS

5) Union

6) Richlands 

7) Chilhowie 

8) Grayson County 

9) Abingdon

10) Galax

On the bubble (no points); Fort Chiswell, Tazewell, Lee

Keep it civil, fellas. These lists are OPINIONS. You know what they say about opinions and a**holes. The preseason list will more than likely differ greatly from Week 11's list.

1) Bluefield

2) Graham

3) Ridgeview

4) Richlands

5) Union

6) Chilhowie

7) Grayson County

8) Galax

9) Virginia High

10) Lee

Fort Chiswell would have definitely made my top 10 had they not been thrust into the impossible position of replacing a head coach 3 weeks before the beginning of practice.  I still think they have a lot of talent but might struggle early until the new staff can get a foothold on where they are.

1. Bluefield - An amazing amount of returning letter men (especially in the trenches)

2. Union - much more talented than people think

3. Giles

4. Richlands

5. Virginia High

6. Graham

7. Marion

8. Ridgeview

9. Pulaski County

10. Abingdon (tie)

10. James Monroe (tie)

1. Gate City  Bluefield -My bad. I thought it was 2019  

2. Ridgeview

3. Union

4. Richlands

5. Virginia High

6. Graham

7. Pulaski County

8. Radford

9. Giles

10. Chilhowie

Honorable Mention: Galax,  Grayson Co., Abingdon 

10 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

1. Graham

2. Bluefield 

3. Riverview

4. Union

5. Richlands

6. Virginia High

7. Chilhowie

8. Pulaski County

9. Galax

10. Tazewell 

Wow dude... Riverview in your top 3 and Ridgeview nowhere to be found?  As The Hurricane from WWE used to say... 

image.jpeg.a0ab65704b0f4df5edf0aadaf44c3d94.jpeg

(I suspect you did this in error, so I am not hating... :) )

1.  Bluefield

2.  Graham

3.  Richlands

4.  Ridgeview

5.  Union

6.  Virginia High

7.  Chilhowie

8.  Marion

9.  Galax

10. Abingdon

1. Beaver-they just reload. WV football is a step behind VHSL IMO, and their road to success may be just a little smoother. This doesn't take away from the fact that they are the de facto most talented team in the area year in and year out.

2.Ridgeview- Finally getting used to a 2A schedule, and familiarity with each other as a team while finding their true identity.

3.Union- They may miss Mitchell, but having a healthy Bailey Turner certainly lessens the sting of a substantial loss. IF they stay healthy, they could be back in a region final game, no doubt about it.

4. Graham- To be the man, you've got to beat the man. Whoever that will be this year, as it looks to be a two or three horse race, but the big question is can they get over the hump when November comes around.

5.Richlands- They'll be back from a subpar year by Mance's standards. I'm not saying they make a deep run, but I see them winning more than four games, and they should be competitive in any losing efforts they should incur. That was not the case in some of those games last year.

6.Chilhowie- Literally almost everyone is back from a state finals run. They could beat a lot of 2A schools in the area.

7.Grundy- Don't sleep on the Wave. Their rushing attack may not be as prolific as it was last year, but with Fiser coming back, and a bad taste in their mouth from an early playoff exit, they could rattle off 8-9 wins. Their lack of a really daunting schedule is what would stop them from making any really deep runs. Plymal gets the best out of his kids, and this is the beginning of year 3 for him at the helm. We should see them continue to get better and better.

8.Galax- Galax is going to be Galax. Great coaching, and great athletes should get them to where they normally are when the leaves fall off the trees.

9.Marion- A 2A program certainly on the rise. I'm not sure how high their ceiling is, but they always have size and a little bit of speed.

10. Va. High- See Marion.

Honorable mention: Tazewell, Abingdon, JSB, Hurley

1. Union

2. Graham

3. Richlands

4. Abingdon

5. Chilhowie

6. Virginia High 

7. Ridgeview 

8. Marion

9. Grayson County

10. Giles

I don't think that pre-season polls, especially in high school sports are worth the paper they are wrote on.  But I do think Union is still the top team in the area.  

It'll be fun to see how it all shakes out.  

38 minutes ago, EH31 said:

I feel like any vote in this poll that doesn’t include Bluefield should be discarded 

I don't follow WV high school sports so I didn't feel the need to vote on them.  I'd imagine all the polls that doesn't include them are in the same boat as me.  The only thing I know about them is what is written on this board.  I couldn't name another high school in the whole state other than Bluefield.