Most wins by town

BigWinners

What town has the most football wins? 

I've been using foufseasonsfootball site to tally up what town has the most wins, and so far it looks like Big Stone Gap has the most wins by a town in SWVA. Hampton leads overall with 808, but in SWVA it's BSG.

PV went 401-166-15

Big Stone High went 193-91-22

Union has went 68-20

So total, BSG has 662 wins, 277 losses and 37 ties.

There's no records for Shoemaker, maybe GC could surpass them. But I also didn't include East Stone Gap High despite basically being in Big Stone. I know Shoemaker had kids from Hiltons and stuff, it stands to reason we could include ESG and their 83 wins. But as it stands, BSG looks to be the leader. If you combined BSG and Appy, you get 1,234 wins. That's over a thousand wins in a ten mile radius. Pretty incredible.

And why is their no record for Haysi from 1931-59?

1 hour ago, Grapeape said:

Did BSG or Bluefield have a black high school prior to segregation?

I know Bluefield did. I also know their scores weren’t widely reported, so those schools are hard to catalog. 

2 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Did BSG or Bluefield have a black high school prior to segregation?

@Bluefield researcher told me that there was a black high school In BSG. I think he might’ve said it was called “Wise County High” ? 

Park Central was the name of the black school in Bluefield, WV.

There was a black school in Bluefield, VA too, it was called Tazewell County High, the “Warhawks.”

6 hours ago, olewave said:

Bluefield 659-326 would count as most by a city.

If you really wanted to say that Bluefield is one city with two high schools, they've won 1,190 games. That won't be beat, I wouldn't think.

8 hours ago, techfan said:

I think it was called Park Central High School in Bluefield and it was located somewhere around Mitchell Stadium

Park Central was located on Pulaski Ave along the railroad. It is now the Mt Zion Church building. Before it was called Park Central it was called Genoa. I don't know why the name changed. Perhaps when they added the students from Princeton or perhaps they built a new building. They never had a yearbook so tracking the history is extremely difficult.

5 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

yes they did , CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL BUFFALOS,my understanding is that all the black kids went there from , BSG,EAST STONE GAP, and APPALACHIA.They were very good

From my understanding, Central was in Appalachia. When the building that presently houses the police station and water department in BSG was built, that school was Bland. The mascot for both was Buffalos. Here’s a link from the SWVA Museum:

http://www.swvamuseum.org/AfricanAmericanSchools.html

5 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Park Central was located on Pulaski Ave along the railroad. It is now the Mt Zion Church building. Before it was called Park Central it was called Genoa. I don't know why the name changed. Perhaps when they added the students from Princeton or perhaps they built a new building. They never had a yearbook so tracking the history is extremely difficult.

Genoa was the Junior high (7-9) and Park Central was the high school. Unless Genoa was the high school before Park Central. In Bluefield, Virginia, my grandmother graduated from Graham Colored High school in 1944 which was in our neighborhood before Tazewell County High.

15 minutes ago, JGray said:

Genoa was the Junior high (7-9) and Park Central was the high school. Unless Genoa was the high school before Park Central. In Bluefield, Virginia, my grandmother graduated from Graham Colored High school in 1944 which was in our neighborhood before Tazewell County High.

Was Graham Colored High the current Graham Manor behind the fire department?

4 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

Was Graham Colored High the current Graham Manor behind the fire department?

No. That was the Tazewell County High Warhawks building until it changed to the junior high. My grandmother told me that their school sat up on the side of the hill until they got the new (TCHS) built.

17 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

If you really wanted to say that Bluefield is one city with two high schools, they've won 1,190 games. That won't be beat, I wouldn't think.

In that case, you could argue that Appalachia is basically Big Stone, which would move the number to 1,234. But I was referring to VA towns and wins. 

19 hours ago, sup_rbeast said:

From my understanding, Central was in Appalachia. When the building that presently houses the police station and water department in BSG was built, that school was Bland. The mascot for both was Buffalos. Here’s a link from the SWVA Museum:

http://www.swvamuseum.org/AfricanAmericanSchools.html

So,the APPALACHIA TRAINING SCHOOL was the first, replaced by CENTRAL and then replaced by BLAND???, That explains why the two schools used the same colors and mascot. It should be noted that APPALACHIA HS also used the saame blue and gold as CENTRAL/BLAND ,as well as BIG STONE GAP BLUE AND GOLD.I bet it was hard to tell who was who out there. Another side note RALPH CUMMINGS played for the EAST STONE TIGERS DURING THOSE EARLY years , they wore the green gold and white ....like CLINTWOOD

47 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

So,the APPALACHIA TRAINING SCHOOL was the first, replaced by CENTRAL and then replaced by BLAND???, That explains why the two schools used the same colors and mascot. It should be noted that APPALACHIA HS also used the saame blue and gold as CENTRAL/BLAND ,as well as BIG STONE GAP BLUE AND GOLD.I bet it was hard to tell who was who out there. Another side note RALPH CUMMINGS played for the EAST STONE TIGERS DURING THOSE EARLY years , they wore the green gold and white ....like CLINTWOOD

The way I understand it that the Appalachia Training School was renamed Central High, but both were really the same school using the same building. Bland was built because Central High was dilapidated and a new building was needed.