Gate City vs Graham Benefit Game

Gridiron60

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:46 AM, who? said:

The AD destroys anything he is involved in,  the coach does not know football, and the principal does not care.   Those three things combined is why we are where we are.   Oh, and the school board let it all happen.   It won’t change until some major personnel changes are made.

Yeah...…….the AD has absolutely destroyed the basketball program. Just take a look at the team's record the last 10 years. Terribly embarrassing. Pretty much the same case for the volleyball and girls tennis teams. Think we only have 7-8 state championships in those sports the last 10 years. Realize that pretty much all other schools have many more state championships the last 10 years. SMH

Not sure people realize how much (little) true control the AD has over the programs. If you are going to blame the man for the woes of the football team, shouldn't you give him credit for the success of the other teams? 

Our football program is the only sport at GC that has tumbled this far. It is in a terrible place. A place we do not escape from in a couple of years. Not sure we will be in a much better place in 5 years. 

Our teams the last few years have suffered from a lack of talent. Apologies to parents who have had kids on the team the last few years, but the OVERALL talent of those teams pale in comparison to the GC teams that came before them...…..and it is not even close. We may have the talent walking the halls. Do not know. 

Coaching? Do not know where to begin. I do not believe Akers is HC material. Unfortunately, do not believe Reed is either. A good DC....yes. With the current state of the program I do not believe we are going to be able to hire a successful, established coach. Going to have to roll the dice on a young coach who can get kids out of the halls and on the team. 

I will be at Legion Field supporting the team this year...……...just like I have the last 30 years. 

2 hours ago, Great City said:

Yeah...…….the AD has absolutely destroyed the basketball program. Just take a look at the team's record the last 10 years. Terribly embarrassing. Pretty much the same case for the volleyball and girls tennis teams. Think we only have 7-8 state championships in those sports the last 10 years. Realize that pretty much all other schools have many more state championships the last 10 years. SMH

Not sure people realize how much (little) true control the AD has over the programs. If you are going to blame the man for the woes of the football team, shouldn't you give him credit for the success of the other teams? 

Our football program is the only sport at GC that has tumbled this far. It is in a terrible place. A place we do not escape from in a couple of years. Not sure we will be in a much better place in 5 years. 

Our teams the last few years have suffered from a lack of talent. Apologies to parents who have had kids on the team the last few years, but the OVERALL talent of those teams pale in comparison to the GC teams that came before them...…..and it is not even close. We may have the talent walking the halls. Do not know. 

Coaching? Do not know where to begin. I do not believe Akers is HC material. Unfortunately, do not believe Reed is either. A good DC....yes. With the current state of the program I do not believe we are going to be able to hire a successful, established coach. Going to have to roll the dice on a young coach who can get kids out of the halls and on the team. 

I will be at Legion Field supporting the team this year...……...just like I have the last 30 years. 

I had a sip of that koolaid about the AD last year. Then I watched him go above and beyond to get students to the away basketball playoff games. There is so much more at play and I can't put any blame on him. Like you said. He doesn't have as much control as people thinks. 

33 minutes ago, Jason said:

I had a sip of that koolaid about the AD last year. Then I watched him go above and beyond to get students to the away basketball playoff games. There is so much more at play and I can't put any blame on him. Like you said. He doesn't have as much control as people thinks. 

People see “AD” and think that it’s the same as a college AD (which has an insane level of control over an athletics program).  That’s the farthest thing from the truth at the high school level.  

The AD position is virtually all administrative.  Make sure all sports have uniforms.  Make sure all the teams’ schedules jive.  Ensure appropriate transportation.  Schmooze your donors and make alumni feel welcome.  As long as you don’t do anything ridiculous, like giving away home games so you can travel to another state to watch your walk-on son ride the pine, then you’re virtually safe.  

The AD at Gate City seems as if he’s checking the boxes.

I agree with you Great City.  I do believe coaching is to blame to an extent but the talent level is just too far down right now for coaching to be the main reason.  I'd love it if GC's down year was a 6-5 or something instead of 1-9.  You have to rebuild from the ground up meaning little league to 8th grade.  There is something broke between the two somewhere for the varsity to be in this kind of funk.

33 minutes ago, Hokie101 said:

I agree with you Great City.  I do believe coaching is to blame to an extent but the talent level is just too far down right now for coaching to be the main reason.  I'd love it if GC's down year was a 6-5 or something instead of 1-9.  You have to rebuild from the ground up meaning little league to 8th grade.  There is something broke between the two somewhere for the varsity to be in this kind of funk.

Little league numbers continue to decline. The redskins have the worst numbers I have ever seen. On the bright side we have some talented kids with familiar last names in little league this year. 

14 hours ago, Jason said:

Little league numbers continue to decline. The redskins have the worst numbers I have ever seen. On the bright side we have some talented kids with familiar last names in little league this year. 

To piggyback on Jason's quote. I heard yesterday on CBS Sports Radio that peak participation in football was 2008, and that the numbers on a steady decline and were down another 5% last year. Kids just aren't playing football anymore, and will not in the future. More are playing baseball, soccer, lacrosse or choosing not to participate in any sport at all. Coaching at GC has always been a touchy subject, but when GC had mediocre coaching they had superior athletes and when they had mediocre athletes they had excellent coaching. Now they have neither!

An AD job is a thankless job with little pay (at least in Scott County IMO for the time put into it).  They have to be at almost every sporting event in some capacity and get paid around $1600 for that title and time spent away from home.  While I may not agree with everything Roberts does, there is no doubt he loves and supports GC in every sport.  I watched him at the Eastman Invitational cheering hard for the girls in a tight game with Volunteer.  Anyone who has been around GC football should know he cares about it. 

I guess I’m in the minority, but I didn’t think that Gate City looked too terrible last week against Graham in the first half. They’re defense seemed improved, holding Graham’s offense to 14 points in the first half. The zone run offense scheme they were running was picking up some yards as well.

In my opinion, they seemed to be getting a lot out of the talent they had on the field, and only fell apart once Graham hit a few big plays. I could see GC winning 3 or 4 this year.

13 hours ago, SXSW said:

To piggyback on Jason's quote. I heard yesterday on CBS Sports Radio that peak participation in football was 2008, and that the numbers on a steady decline and were down another 5% last year. Kids just aren't playing football anymore, and will not in the future. More are playing baseball, soccer, lacrosse or choosing not to participate in any sport at all. Coaching at GC has always been a touchy subject, but when GC had mediocre coaching they had superior athletes and when they had mediocre athletes they had excellent coaching. Now they have neither!

I'm going to piggy back off of you now. lol. The numbers on the redskins have now declined to were they can no longer field a varsity team. The two kids that still want to play practiced with the Rams Varsity this evening. This is the first time this has happened in our little league. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I'm going to piggy back off of you now. lol. The numbers on the redskins have now declined to were they can no longer field a varsity team. The two kids that still want to play practiced with the Rams Varsity this evening. This is the first time this has happened in our little league. 

Don't worry guys you are not alone. If I'm not mistaken the Cowboys(Richlands Midget) had to combine with the Raiders midget level team. Unfortunately, numbers are down across the board. 

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Was there enough at the beginning of the season and kids just quit?  I wonder why that happened if so.  That is very sad to hear though. 

9 minutes ago, Hokie101 said:

Was there enough at the beginning of the season and kids just quit?  I wonder why that happened if so.  That is very sad to hear though. 

They had just enough at the beginning with some jv playing up. Not sure why they quit. Gone are the days of parents making their kids follow through with their commitments. I tell my kids that once they commit to something they will see it through. 

11 hours ago, Jason said:

RC seems to be the only LL program in the county growing.  TS had to move everything in house due to low numbers and will be playing some version of 8 man I guess.  I hate to see it falling off like it was.  The middle school teams led off the RC/TS jamboree last Friday.  TS had 13 kids dressed while RC had 31 I believe it was.