Week 2 grudge: Union @ Richlands

CriticalNoise

Richlands hasn't had a worthy opponent yet, so what do they really have?  Can't use scrimmages or benefit games to back anything up on anybody.  Sure they lit it up against a way down GC but when they face a real team what happens plus the fact the history of this series.  I see Union being able to grind it out on the ground and even with Richlands depth they will wear down.  If Richlands air raid is successful, then that will hurt their defense that much more by being on the field so long.  I look for a score to the tune of 28-24 in the favor of Union and it still won't be decided until very late in the 4th.  Think this is probably going to be a very good game and hopefully will show each team what they really have for the season going forward.

I can say one thing this game makes me nervous, I can say of Union has success in controlling the line of scrimmage , and controlling the clock that I feel they can pull it out, but if they have a problem with there pass defense it could be a long night.... At this time I want make a prediction on the game, but I feel it could go either way by 7 points. I can also say these two teams are in my top 5 of SWVA, in the last 5 years. I know that yaw have had some discussion on this what is some good places to eat in Richland's VA

I'll go richlands by a td.  Union put the ball on the ground too much last week and way too many penalties.  But who knows i think I've predicted this game wrong every year so hopefully I'm wrong again.

My prediction is that Union runs the ball right down Richlands throat, but Richlands will get a few stops because they are ways defensively sound. Richlands throws the ball all over the field and has more of a run game than people think. Richlands by 6!

3 hours ago, UNION#ATW said:

I know that yaw have had some discussion on this what is some good places to eat in Richland's VA

There is only one place you need to go: The Bearded Moose. 

You will not regret that decision one bit. Just get there a little early, it can be busy on game night. 

Agree with Ryan, the Bearded Moose is the #1 choice.  The Huddle House on the other end of town ain't bad, and the Mexican food across from the High School has good food.  That's about it except for the usual fast food joints.  I'd go with the Bearded Moose hands down.

Just want to say Thank Your for all the reply's on places to eat. I know that we are competitors on here for our hometown teams, but it also shows team work and helping one another out. By the weather man it could be a ground n pound type of game.

15 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

You will not regret that decision one bit. Just get there a little early, it can be busy on game night. 

NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND!

I will concede no one will ever have regrets about eating at the Moose, however Cuz's is D1 stuff. You can enjoy an adult beverage before the game there, and my second and third points are cheesed egg rolls and cheesed egg rolls.

34 minutes ago, chipinbogey said:

NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND!

I will concede no one will ever have regrets about eating at the Moose, however Cuz's is D1 stuff. You can enjoy an adult beverage before the game there, and my second and third points are cheesed egg rolls and cheesed egg rolls.

Problem with Cuz's is never know how long will have to wait to get a seat if they are busy.  Plus every time I ever went there the service sometimes is very long.

Good note above though, King Kone some of the best hot dogs anywhere around.  Love that place as well.  Plus might as well throw in Red Flower for Chinese.  Hands down best Chinese anywhere around that I know of. 

21 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Problem with Cuz's is never know how long will have to wait to get a seat if they are busy.  Plus every time I ever went there the service sometimes is very long.

Good note above though, King Kone some of the best hot dogs anywhere around.  Love that place as well.  Plus might as well throw in Red Flower for Chinese.  Hands down best Chinese anywhere around that I know of. 

Eat at the bar if you can. There's usually always an open seat, and unless you order a big entrée, most time the food is out in 10-15 minutes. If you go in a group of 4 or more, of course it will take longer, just like anywhere else you eat though.  Just my experience but I've been going for 30 years so I know a hack or two about the place. I have heard others say similar things that you said. I've had busy service sometimes, but nothing I'd consider slow except on drinks where they have food runners.

Amen to Red Flower though.

Not that it matters for this game but UNION/TOWN OF BIG STONE GAP has new bathrooms under construction, home side behind bleachers.The master plan calls for new bathrooms between little league field and football field and new concessions also.I would like end zone bleachers added also and visitors side expanded

37 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

Not that it matters for this game but UNION/TOWN OF BIG STONE GAP has new bathrooms under construction, home side behind bleachers.The master plan calls for new bathrooms between little league field and football field and new concessions also.I would like end zone bleachers added also and visitors side expanded

Good to hear about the improvements, much deserved.  

On 8/27/2018 at 6:37 PM, BigWinners said:

Too many penalties I totally agree, need a much cleaner game.

But Union only put it on ground once IIRC on a mix up behind the line but Turner recovered it. 

Fumbled on a kickoff i know for sure and I think there was 2 fumbles on QB to rb exchanges.  May not get em back vs a good D.

On 8/27/2018 at 7:23 PM, Ryan4VT said:

Not too familiar with the Richlands area is the bearded moose near the field.

3 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Not too familiar with the Richlands area is the bearded moose near the field.

It’s a 3 min drive away. 

1557 Front St. is the address. That’s the same road as the high school is on, just a couple minutes past the field. Easy to find. 

4 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Fumbled on a kickoff i know for sure and I think there was 2 fumbles on QB to rb exchanges.  May not get em back vs a good D.

That kickoff wasn't a real fumble tho, I don't consider that the same as a fumble in the backfield. He just had trouble switching the ball.

I believe there was only one fumble on the exchange. 

36 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

3 minutes?  What sort of airplane are you flying?

Apple says it’s 5 minutes. If you hit all the green lights, you can make it in 3:30-4 minutes.