Super Early Girls post ( cause they get no attention) 🙂

champ

Hello everyone

i know most of you knuckleheads are head and toe into your Football season but I figured I would start a little off season post. 

Last year was remarkable.  The Ladies didn't disappoint and my on going season poll came out pretty darn close. ( as I pat myself on the back 🙂)  

i must admit I have several friends that referee and have done it for years. It certainly doesn't hurt to pick their Brains from time to time. 

I look forward to continuing our chats this coming season.  Last year I spent a few weeks in PA, and lost track of some of the action so the board chat was great. 

I haven't heard much about some of our graduate here in the SW. Do we have several going to play college ball ? Where are some of the better players attending this year? 

Talk to you all as we get closer to tip off 

champ 

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Wise Central, Virginia High, and Ridgeview should still be the top 3 teams to represent SWVA from Region 2D...

Coach Dotson always has Wise Central as a state contender...

I know VA High best, and Coach Timmons is a great coach, has quickly rebuilt the program...reaching the state semifinals for the 4th time in school history. They lost one starter from the 2017 squad, a post presence but have young posts to fit there. 3 seniors; PG Amaya Lee (2nd team all state & 1st team all Southwest District), SF Taylor Owens (1st team all state & Southwest District Player of the Year), SG Jada Campbell (2nd team All-SWD)...Jr. Ale Sydnor is a playmaker as well, can play anywhere from 1-4...

Ridgeview is always talented out of M7...don’t know much about them but a good bet they will be in postseason...

If I’m not mistaken, the cycle will allow SWD Champ to host Region Tournament...since M7 champion did last year...so if VHS can take care of business in district they could host region at the Bearcat Den, possibly till State...

Rising Galax senior Essence Brown recently committed to George Washington University.  She chose the offer from GW over offers from Radford, UNC-Asheville, Rhode Island and Appalachian State.

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/high_schools/high-schools-liberty-high-girls-basketball-coach-dunton-takes-women/article_ab982df7-2b11-5be9-b4ef-c52dc72bab99.html

Galax returns everyone from a 22-5 team that reached the state semifinals last season.  With what they will gain from a solid JV group, this could be a special year.  They have a pair of D1 caliber players with a third currently in the 8th grade.

On 9/19/2018 at 1:40 PM, sixcat said:

Rising Galax senior Essence Brown recently committed to George Washington University.  She chose the offer from GW over offers from Radford, UNC-Asheville, Rhode Island and Appalachian State.

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/high_schools/high-schools-liberty-high-girls-basketball-coach-dunton-takes-women/article_ab982df7-2b11-5be9-b4ef-c52dc72bab99.html

Galax returns everyone from a 22-5 team that reached the state semifinals last season.  With what they will gain from a solid JV group, this could be a special year.  They have a pair of D1 caliber players with a third currently in the 8th grade.

I watched Galax a few times last year and had them ranked in my top 10 all year 

actually the first time I watched them I thought they were hands down the best  single A team I'd ever seen.  I believe I stated here that they looked as good as anyone I'd seen in all divisions 1-4. I watched them beat  4A carrol county badly. 

Then I saw PM play and quickly changed my mind. PM was the best team I saw last year. That includes all of our SW divisions. 

However I'm agreeing with you at this time. I think Galax will be hungry. I expect the Brown kid to be unstoppable. I think PM may have graduated a few key players ( I'm not entirely sure about this ?)

Either way I think this may be Galax's year in group A. I'm hoping Honaker makes a strong push to the next level and I feel like they can contend in 2 years but overall id agree with the assessment of Galax being dangerous and a major player in the Division.  Extremely well coached as well. 

One of my oldest and best friends is a referee ( no I do not claim him in public ) 

he said Ridgeview will be back in full force this year. They can contend and beat anyone this site tracks. 

Wise will be there and it sounds like Virginia High will me as well. This should be another great year of girls basketball 

congratulations to Brown for landing a scholarship.