2018 College Football Thread

Boomhauer

Hello everyone! 

I decided to make a thread where everyone could discuss and analyze college football games/teams this year! I hope it’s a memorable season for everyone. Let’s get started with my picks for some big games this upcoming weekend!

Florida Atlantic vs #7 Oklahoma (W)

#23 Texas(W) vs Maryland

OSU vs #5 OSU (W)

#17 WVU(W) vs Tennessee

#6 Washington(W) vs #9 Auburn

#14 Michigan vs #12 Notre Dame (W)

Louisville vs #1 Alabama (W)

#8 Miami (W) vs #25 LSU

#20 Virginia Tech vs #19 Florida State (W)

3 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I think Auburn takes down the Huskies.  I can also see LSU (hopefully) taking down the 'Canes.

That game is a total toss up for me, I think it’s much more important for Washington than it is Auburn 

52 minutes ago, cavalieratmosphere said:

Do you think UVA will hover around .500 by season's end (give or take: i.e. 5-7 to 7-5)?

I do actually, I think they will upset at least one of the teams they are supposed to lose to. I think 7-5 is attainable

2 hours ago, cavalieratmosphere said:

Do you think UVA will hover around .500 by season's end (give or take: i.e. 5-7 to 7-5)?

So much depends on how we do in the coinflip games.  Need to take advantage of a wounded Indiana team next week.  Need to beat an upstart Ohio team at home (who is also without their starting RB).  If we do that, we’ll end up 7-5 or 6-6.  If we don’t, I’d guess 5-7.

Some predictions work better than others, LOL.

I’ve seldom seen a team less prepared to take the field than FSU last night.  Just a comedy of mental errors, so much that I really can’t tell just how good VT is because FSU couldn’t stop gift-wrapping things for VT.  Despite the significant amount of poor play, FSU still gashed the VT defense, and VT still just put up 24 points, 7 of which came with the outcome decided.  

Great start to the season by VT, but I’m not sure if I learned anything other than VT won’t beat itself.

I wouldn't say FSU "gashed VT's defense", especially in the running game.  FSU finished with 94 yards on 28 carries with 85 coming on one play.  The other 27 carries resulted in 9 yards.  With that said, VT should have had several more scores.  VT made its fair share of mental mistakes resulting in points being taken off the board.  As an unbiased observer married into a Hokie family, I'm not sold on Jackson as a quality QB either.  He is inaccurate and makes bad decisions with the football at times.  He made several bad decisions last night but FSU was ill-prepared to take advantage of them.  A better prepared opponent would have capitalized on those mistakes.    

I agree that FSU wasn't prepared for this game but for anyone who watched Oregon last season, that seems to be a common theme for Taggert.  I questioned  FSU choice in replacement for Jimbo when they announced Taggert.  I question it more-so now!

On 9/4/2018 at 7:32 AM, sixcat said:

I wouldn't say FSU "gashed VT's defense", especially in the running game.  FSU finished with 94 yards on 28 carries with 85 coming on one play.  The other 27 carries resulted in 9 yards.  With that said, VT should have had several more scores.  VT made its fair share of mental mistakes resulting in points being taken off the board.  As an unbiased observer married into a Hokie family, I'm not sold on Jackson as a quality QB either.  He is inaccurate and makes bad decisions with the football at times.  He made several bad decisions last night but FSU was ill-prepared to take advantage of them.  A better prepared opponent would have capitalized on those mistakes.    

I agree that FSU wasn't prepared for this game but for anyone who watched Oregon last season, that seems to be a common theme for Taggert.  I questioned  FSU choice in replacement for Jimbo when they announced Taggert.  I question it more-so now!

FSU outgained VT 327-319.  Shouldn’t have said “gashed”, the offensive production was virtually even.  Offenses strive for 1 point for every 10 yards.  FSU couldn’t break 1 point per 100.

I understand the point you were making. FSU’s offense was downright offensive! 

I think VT may be a shade better than most expected. The question is, can the offense be a more consistent than it has been for the past two seasons? It didn’t look that way a lot of the night Monday. 

BristolSports @BHCSports

Jordan Stout (Honaker) was 2-for-2 on extra points and perfect on kickoffs as well on Saturday for Virginia Tech: https://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/college-football-jordan-stout-scores-for-virginia-tech/article_e965de82-b3de-11e8-9156-63372f3f7ba6.html 

BristolSports @BHCSports

Jamorya Cousin (Graham) had a big-time performance, but the woes continued for @UVaWiseCavs in loss at West Virginia State:

great state

• 4 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

12 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

As a Hokie fan, this may be my last good memory of 2018.

Hilarious!  I've not seen that.  I'll be more surprised if VT ends up going to a bowl game then I will if they don't.  Hate to say that but this years team is too inconsistent.