V-T Game #102

Bearcat Dad

The 102nd edition of the V-T game will be played at the Stone Castle this week. Most years, VHS doesn't have much of a shot in this game. I know what it's like to be a part of a Bearcat team to win this game. It still holds a special place in me, 24 years later. All of us on the "Little Brother" side of town knew 7 or 8 years ago, that 2017 and 2018 would present our best chance to hang with the Vikings in current times.

That proved to be the case last year, in a greatly played game that saw the Vikings make a couple more plays than the Bearcats, to pull away late with a win. I feel that this year will be more of the same.

It's rare for the Bearcats to actually have the best football player on the field, in their many matchups with the Vikings, but many people will admit that this is the case this year. Now, as always, THS will be far ahead in the depth department, and they have had a heck of a start to this season, but if the Bearcats stay healthy, they have a shot again this year.

The VHS player I mentioned above, had an outstanding game against the Vikings last year with 100 yds rushing, 2 TDs, and 16 tackles on defense. So far this season, he is averaging 12 ypc with 4 TDs and 23 tackles on defense, in 2 games. Many fans in the area don't know him, but I guarantee that every coach in SWVA and many in NETN do. This is normally the case when an average football program, has a kid that is good enough to play at the next level. It's kinda weird! Lol

This athlete, and his senior teammates, have played a ton of ball together over the years. They have outstanding chemistry, are a very special group, and will come ready to fight on Friday night.

Depth should allow THS to be the favorite, but I believe in this group of Bearcats. They want this one badly. Part of their game against Battle, saw them kinda looking ahead to this game, combined with the fact that our coaches worked on developing depth in the backfield, to give the aforementioned Bearcat a little help.

If either team is not ready for this game, for whatever reason, it will be a long night for that team. I don't believe that will be the case. Both teams will fight, and I honestly think, and may be the only member on the board who does, that the Bearcats have just enough to clean up last year's mistakes from this game, and will grind out a close win, to finally get the THS monkey off of their backs.

VHS - 24

THS - 20

Good luck Vikings! I hope to see an injury-free, competitive game.

20 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I may be coming to this game lol. You gonna save me a seat if that where I end up? Lol

Yes, sir! Bring some type of padding to sit on. The Castle looks awesome, but if you're over 5' 2", it's very uncomfortable. Not much leg space from one row, down to the next, which means if you put your feet flat on the row in front of you, your knees will be in your belly/chest area. 😂

I'm a big guy, so whenever I go there, I go early enough to get a seat on the top row. The design of the Castle wall actually gives a lucky few, a much more comfortable place to sit, over the actual bleachers seats. 

58 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

VHS has not played up to expectations the first two weeks of the season.  Perhaps the third week is the charm.  Good luck, Bearcats!

Outside of the first 15 minutes of game time in Week 1, you are very right. In less than 1 1/2 quarters, the Bearcats built up a 30-7 lead, and looked completely dominant in doing so.

Since then, outside of one or two players, VHS has been playing very flat. The passing game has not found it's rhythm. 14-35, 250 yds, 2 TDs, and 2 INTs is not where they expected to be thru 2 games. It's not all on our QB. In two games, we have dropped 4 for sure touchdowns on drives that ended with a punt. The defense has been fine, outside of about 8-10 minutes of game time between the 2nd & 3rd quarters in Tazewell, but Tazewell will score a lot by season's end. The running game has done pretty well. The starting RB has 28 carries for 333 yards and 4 TDs in the first 2 games. He also ran at 7 ypc against Union, but only 4 carries, because the coaches are desperately trying to find some depth at that position

Overall, I agree with you. The Bearcats are definitely underwhelming as a team, so far. If they get their passing game on track, that will help, for sure. They have 5 consecutive weeks ahead of them(4 opponents and the bye week) before they play their next district game, at home against the G-Men. If they don't have their passing game straightened out by then, they will already be an afterthought! 🤣 In that time they play Tn. High, Wise, Chilhowie, and Abingdon.

Thanks for the good wishes! Good luck to you guys as well!

As a lifelong Bristolian and Bearcat fan, I can firmly say that THS is the one school I can never cheer for. 

If ISIS had a football team, and they played the snooty, priveledged school across town, I'd have to pull for the terrorists 😂

I deeply hope we beat them tomorrow, but I'm pessimistic

1 hour ago, V-Cats said:

As a lifelong Bristolian and Bearcat fan, I can firmly say that THS is the one school I can never cheer for. 

If ISIS had a football team, and they played the snooty, priveledged school across town, I'd have to pull for the terrorists 😂

I deeply hope we beat them tomorrow, but I'm pessimistic

I’d pull for ISIS over WVU lol.