Graham vs Giles

Gridiron60

Thoughts?

I think Graham should win but they've yet to find groove and get that defense together. Line is weak which was a problem last year too. I think on one of the podcasts , the guys predicted "bridesmaid again". I tend to agree if they cannot get things shored up better on defense. Tony said they played horrible defense against Tazewell in BDT, I agree. Overall, Graham is good but a "good" Graham won't beat a Union or Ridgeview in playoffs. I admit I don't know that much about Giles. 

40 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Graham will have no problem with Giles...Graham by 17+

It's Richlands, VA High, and if any of these make the playoffs , the Union and Ridgeview teams that will pose issues. I think when good teams play several not so good teams in a row, it can lull them into a false sense of security. 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

It's Richlands, VA High, and if any of these make the playoffs , the Union and Ridgeview teams that will pose issues. I think when good teams play several not so good teams in a row, it can lull them into a false sense of security. 

What are you talking about?

23 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

We can get to 5-6 wins possibly...but it was bound to happen at some point...87 was a long time ago

You and I have talked before about our mutual friend, the former Giles and E&H standout, and he echoed this exact sentiment to me, this past Friday night!

2 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

You and I have talked before about our mutual friend, the former Giles and E&H standout, and he echoed this exact sentiment to me, this past Friday night!

Yeah we are just very young and inexperienced this year. But they have good effort against CBurg Friday and that's all you can ask for...we were just way overmatched against BBurg and especially Bluefield

5 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Yeah we are just very young and inexperienced this year. But they have good effort against CBurg Friday and that's all you can ask for...we were just way overmatched against BBurg and especially Bluefield

Yeah, he told me about the youth. He said he feels that the youth is pretty good though, and Giles should be back to normal, sooner rather than later.

2 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

Yeah, he told me about the youth. He said he feels that the youth is pretty good though, and Giles should be back to normal, sooner rather than later.

Yeah I agree...we haven't had a losing season since 1987 and only 2 since 1978...pretty impressive...and if we play well from here our we could possibly win 6 or 7 games...but we have to have some luck along the way too...Graham and glenvar are gonna be hard for us to beat this year though...and Radford who knows

Just now, Hokiebird7 said:

Yeah I agree...we haven't had a losing season since 1987 and only 2 since 1978...pretty impressive...and if we play well from here our we could possibly win 6 or 7 games...but we have to have some luck along the way too...Graham and glenvar are gonna be hard for us to beat this year though...and Radford who knows

Jeez, it must be nice! 😂

We know that feeling in baseball at VHS, but in football, it doesn't get more mediocre than us!

Graham and Glenvar are definitely tough ones, but your young bucks at Giles should only benefit from this tough schedule. That's one of the reasons we are high on the Bearcats this year, they are battle tested.

As freshmen, this group of seniors traveled to defending State champ in Glenvar, to open the playoffs. As sophomores in 2016 they traveled to defending State champ in Appomattox in the first round. Last year, they beat an 8-0 Marion team in the regular season, then had to host them again 2 weeks later, in the playoffs. Add in the strong Richlands and Graham teams in the SWD over the last few years, 2 straight years against Union in the Benefit Game, the annual game against Tn. High(which gets closer every year) and our boys are battle tested as well. 

They're not State champion material, but an 8-2 type season, with a win or two in the playoffs is possible. For a school that hasn't won a Regional championship since the 80's, or a State championship since 1933, that would be considered a great year. 

5 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

Jeez, it must be nice! 😂

We know that feeling in baseball at VHS, but in football, it doesn't get more mediocre than us!

Graham and Glenvar are definitely tough ones, but your young bucks at Giles should only benefit from this tough schedule. That's one of the reasons we are high on the Bearcats this year, they are battle tested.

As freshmen, this group of seniors traveled to defending State champ in Glenvar, to open the playoffs. As sophomores in 2016 they traveled to defending State champ in Appomattox in the first round. Last year, they beat an 8-0 Marion team in the regular season, then had to host them again 2 weeks later, in the playoffs. Add in the strong Richlands and Graham teams in the SWD over the last few years, 2 straight years against Union in the Benefit Game, the annual game against Tn. High(which gets closer every year) and our boys are battle tested as well. 

They're not State champion material, but an 8-2 type season, with a win or two in the playoffs is possible. For a school that hasn't won a Regional championship since the 80's, or a State championship since 1933, that would be considered a great year. 

Well I'm rooting for you guys unless you play Giles just like I do richlands because of the Giles connection of both teams...ratcliffe kid there and mance at richlands

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

What are you talking about?

Sorry, I think part of comment got deleted or my fingers don't type as fast enough to keep up with my brain. I was trying to say Graham will do well against not so good teams (even though they seem undisciplined and sloppy on defense) and it may lull them into thinking they'll be okay against tougher teams.  

18 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Thoughts?

I think Graham should win but they've yet to find groove and get that defense together. Line is weak which was a problem last year too. I think on one of the podcasts , the guys predicted "bridesmaid again". I tend to agree if they cannot get things shored up better on defense. Tony said they played horrible defense against Tazewell in BDT, I agree. Overall, Graham is good but a "good" Graham won't beat a Union or Ridgeview in playoffs. I admit I don't know that much about Giles. 

At this point I'm not sure how much improvement we'll see on Graham's line play. A lot of their problem needs to be corrected in the weight room during the off season. We may have to get some of that chocolate milk Dixon is using. Defensively I think Rex Bradshaw has done a pretty darn good job overall. It's kinda hard for the LBs to make plays with the D-line sitting in their laps. 

I think in order for Graham to ever take that next step in the playoffs they are gonna have to be more disciplined. My peewee coach would go into orbit if a kid walked onto the field putting his helmet on. Attention to detail will prevent a lot of mistakes over the course of the season. 

Hopefully we'll get to see a good injury free ballgame Friday night. I think Graham will win.

5 hours ago, 99Bama said:

At this point I'm not sure how much improvement we'll see on Graham's line play. A lot of their problem needs to be corrected in the weight room during the off season. We may have to get some of that chocolate milk Dixon is using. Defensively I think Rex Bradshaw has done a pretty darn good job overall. It's kinda hard for the LBs to make plays with the D-line sitting in their laps. 

I think in order for Graham to ever take that next step in the playoffs they are gonna have to be more disciplined. My peewee coach would go into orbit if a kid walked onto the field putting his helmet on. Attention to detail will prevent a lot of mistakes over the course of the season. 

Hopefully we'll get to see a good injury free ballgame Friday night. I think Graham will win.

Bullseye.

Graham should win, but the single wing will give the Graham defense a hard time. Bluefield ran all over Graham, and Tazewell broke a couple of big runs last week and picked up a good amount of yards running the ball. Should be another competitive and close game between these two great programs. 

13 hours ago, Falcon Mania said:

Giles being down and Graham looking for another win.  G-Men win big this week.

G-Men  42

Giles    14

9 hours ago, Bearcat Dad said:

Graham pulls away late.

Graham - 34

Giles - 17

I'll be shocked if the margin is that big. This game will be closer than most expect.  Graham will score their share but I'm not sure that the G "D" will keep the one-wingers out of the endzone enough to make the spread that large.

1 hour ago, GMan said:

I'll be shocked if the margin is that big. This game will be closer than most expect.  Graham will score their share but I'm not sure that the G "D" will keep the one-wingers out of the endzone enough to make the spread that large.

Yes they will imo

2 hours ago, GMan said:

I don't know a ton about Giles this year, outside of the fact that they are young. One of our Bearcat senior's dad is a former Giles standout and he still follows them closely. He and @Hokiebird7 are the only reason I even know that much.

I figured that the rivalry aspect would keep it close for 3 quarters but the combination of Graham's athleticism and the youth of Giles would allow the G-Men to pull away late.

With that said, I've also heard from others, exactly what you said about Graham's defense, especially the line. If they are struggling that much, then you are probably right, I'm giving a little too much credit to a multiple score outcome.