Local/State Politics Thread

cavalieratmosphere

This thread is mainly to discuss the politics that focus on the local area and Virginia as a state. It can also be used to talk about how the aforementioned areas are in rankings and what can be done to do better. 

I came across a study from Oxfam stating that Virginia is the worst state to work in. What do you think about this?

When I saw that article title, my first question was about methodology.  In looking at the article, the methodology is threefold:

(1) Wage Policies

(2) Equal Protection Policies

(3) Right-to-Organize Policies

As it is late, and I have worked a 13-hour day, I won’t write a thesis on it.  However, using those metrics, any state with conservative principles is going to score lower and any state with liberal principles is going to score higher.  And the correlation is obvious.

I don’t believe this study measures what it’s intended to measure.

On 9/4/2018 at 10:29 PM, UVAObserver said:

When I saw that article title, my first question was about methodology.  In looking at the article, the methodology is threefold:

(1) Wage Policies

(2) Equal Protection Policies

(3) Right-to-Organize Policies

As it is late, and I have worked a 13-hour day, I won’t write a thesis on it.  However, using those metrics, any state with conservative principles is going to score lower and any state with liberal principles is going to score higher.  And the correlation is obvious.

I don’t believe this study measures what it’s intended to measure.

After reading the study again, it definitely seemed like it had a pro-union slant toward it. I probably should have went with a study that didn't have nearly as much of a slant (either way).

• 4 weeks later...

5 hours ago, cavalieratmosphere said:

I’m conservative, but the GOP has gerrymandered the Hell out of Virginia. It’s not even arguable, and I don’t blame Northam for threatening to veto any efforts to do it further.

On 10/7/2018 at 9:38 PM, UVAObserver said:

I’m conservative, but the GOP has gerrymandered the Hell out of Virginia. It’s not even arguable, and I don’t blame Northam for threatening to veto any efforts to do it further.

What would you propose as a solution to this? Mine would be a nonpartisan, independent commission on redistricting

Very interesting OpEd!  

https://www.dailyprogress.com/opinion/opinion-commentary-a-voice-from-the-past-outlines-a-plan/article_b9e35df8-c8cc-11e8-9228-73d89bf86a0a.html

"If you were to take the Rural Horseshoe and hold it up against the Golden Crescent, the contrasts are stunning," Baliles said. "Two Virginias! If the Rural Horseshoe were considered a separate state, it would be tied for dead last with Mississippi and West Virginia for educational attainment levels — dead last for citizens with high school diplomas; dead last for citizens with college degrees. Think about that."

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

• 9 months later...

4 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

I'm going to admit I haven't kept up with the Ben Chafin/George McCall race. What are the pros and cons of these candidates?

Having this hit a week before the election doesn’t bode well for McCall’s chances: 

https://benchafin.com/main/71638_071638-Morgan_Complaint-as_filed-PLEAD-20191030.pdf

54 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Having this hit a week before the election doesn’t bode well for McCall’s chances: 

https://benchafin.com/main/71638_071638-Morgan_Complaint-as_filed-PLEAD-20191030.pdf

That's bad. As someone who has a small farm, I would be pissed if someone pulled some foolishness like that. 

1 minute ago, cavalieratmosphere said:

So is there really any policy difference between Chafin and McCall?

I honestly don't know. I have allowed myself to get entrenched in the drama of our local sheriffs race and haven't followed the Chafin/McCall race. Here we are 4 days till election and I'm on SWVA sports page trying to get the political breakdown of this race!!😂

2 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

I honestly don't know. I have allowed myself to get entrenched in the drama of our local sheriffs race and haven't followed the Chafin/McCall race. Here we are 4 days till election and I'm on SWVA sports page trying to get the political breakdown of this race!!😂

You mean Kilgore/Elkins? For me, it's the same thing, do they have any policy difference, outside of Kilgore being a Republican and Elkins being a Democrat?

The saddest thing about VA state elections in my opinion is we are fast becoming more like California. I wish we could give NOVA to DC. There are highly populated pockets of  left  leaning liberalism determining our state/federal elections when the majority of counties lean more moderate or conservative. If the Democrats being elected were like the Democrats of yesteryear that my grandparents supported, it wouldn’t be so bad to have them in control of both houses & governor’s mansion. The current day Democrats are not even close to what Southern Democrats used to be in my opinion.