Weather may be a factor this week...

GMan

36 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Speaking from experience, I wouldn't be so quick to judge the renovations that were made.  The issue could (and probably is) more attributed to lack of proper maintenance than poor design or construction.  Trash, leaves, and other debris clog up the inlets.  This chokes off the water's ability to follow designed channels for proper removal.  It's' likely (and probable) the engineers explained this in great detail while offering suggestions on how to properly maintain the area to limit this type of thing from happening.  It should also be noted, these systems are generally designed to withstand 10-year rain events.  Under normal circumstances, systems designed to those specifications are more than adequate.  Not to turn this into a political mindf&*k but, we receive what the EPA considers "10-year weather events" every 24 months and the frequency of those events have been rising sharply since the early 1990's.  As the name indicates, they are considered to be once a decade storms yet, they are now coming every 24 months.  

As is the case with most things of this nature, out-of-sight, out-of-mind plays a vital role.  I would be willing to bet, local maintenance crews and city officials aren't adequately keeping trash and other debris from clogging up the system.  I know that's a big part of the problem where I live.  When the water recedes, go back and look at the inlets.  My guess is, you will find a mound of trash and debris completely covering the inlets.  

Actually, last night was a case of too much water too fast.  On Bland Road, off of Cumberland Rd., water was coming up out of the water drains.  Bland Road was a river and water was flowing through the front yards of the houses along the road.  My FIL measured 3.25" of rain in about an hour last night from 6:30-7:30, and all that water flowed down to College Avenue and then to Bluefield, VA.

4 minutes ago, GMan said:

Actually, last night was a case of too much water too fast.  On Bland Road, off of Cumberland Rd., water was coming up out of the water drains.  Bland Road was a river and water was flowing through the front yards of the houses along the road.  My FIL measured 3.25" of rain in about an hour last night from 6:30-7:30, and all that water flowed down to College Avenue and then to Bluefield, VA.

That would be well above the designated 10-year rain event standard.  That's a lot of water in a short period of time. 

Good Morning Everyone, WEATHER down here in North Carolina by what my co-worker is telling me a lot of places are out of gas, water and food supplies. It's looking more scarce everyday, just posting all football games have been moved back to Wednesday. It looks like the weather is saying that when it hits here in North Carolina on Thursday it will still be a category 4 Storm. Prayers for all that are being effected by this Storm.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Speaking from experience, I wouldn't be so quick to judge the renovations that were made.  The issue could (and probably is) more attributed to lack of proper maintenance than poor design or construction.  Trash, leaves, and other debris clog up the inlets.  This chokes off the water's ability to follow designed channels for proper removal.  It's' likely (and probable) the engineers explained this in great detail while offering suggestions on how to properly maintain the area to limit this type of thing from happening.  It should also be noted, these systems are generally designed to withstand 10-year rain events.  Under normal circumstances, systems designed to those specifications are more than adequate.  Not to turn this into a political mindf&*k but, we receive what the EPA considers "10-year weather events" every 24 months and the frequency of those events have been rising sharply since the early 1990's.  As the name indicates, they are considered to be once a decade storms yet, they are now coming every 24 months.  

As is the case with most things of this nature, out-of-sight, out-of-mind plays a vital role.  I would be willing to bet, local maintenance crews and city officials aren't adequately keeping trash and other debris from clogging up the system.  I know that's a big part of the problem where I live.  When the water recedes, go back and look at the inlets.  My guess is, you will find a mound of trash and debris completely covering the inlets.  

Bluefield, WV fail to perform routine maintenance?  With the pristine condition of their business district and downtown?  With the glorious street posts from the 1960s?  Surely you jest!

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Bluefield, WV fail to perform routine maintenance?  With the pristine condition of their business district and downtown?  With the glorious street posts from the 1960s?  Surely you jest!

But they have beautiful flower baskets hanging everywhere...