Boone @ GC

Grapeape

Were GC not being coached by the Village Idiot they would have been tied going into the half at Graham & ahead of Abingdon. Don't buy into that 'untalented' myth. GC has several talented kids on the team, and several more talented kids have left the program due to the coaching staff's  Incompetence \ negative attitude. In a little over 7 weeks the curse will be lifted. 

10 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

Were GC not being coached by the Village Idiot they would have been tied going into the half at Graham & ahead of Abingdon. Don't buy into that 'untalented' myth. GC has several talented kids on the team, and several more talented kids have left the program due to the coaching staff's  Incompetence \ negative attitude. In a little over 7 weeks the curse will be lifted

And if Reed gets it, a new one will begin.

Hopefully, for GC, he'll be happy at DC.

22 hours ago, who? said:

Why would Reed not get it?

The whispers are going around that Reed will automatically be given the HC position.  No offense or disrespect to Reed, the man can coach and can turn a program around.  However, he gave up his HC position at Abingdon for a DC position at GC.  The GC HC job should not just be handed to him.  The GC HC job should be advertised and all respectable and qualified coaches should be allowed to apply and interview.  Hopefully the SB will advertise this job when it come open. Again, no disrespect to Reed.  There are many assistant coaches not only in Scott County, but other counties that have an HC job as their ultimate goal.  It does not matter that GC has had a losing streak the last few years.  If the HC job at GC is advertised, you can bet many coaches in the area will apply!  

I agree that applications should be accepted and reviewed for the job. But I’ll just throw this out there. If nobody with a good track record wanted the job last time after 1 losing season, why would they want it now after GC’s 4th losing season in a row?  The program was in a spot to rebuild in a year or 2 after 2015. And now the program has self-destructed so much since then. I can’t see too many good applicants applying for the job. GC is not going to get a Mance or Turner (at this time, in this state).  But I’ll throw this out there about Darren, he had 4 winning seasons at Abingdon in 4 years. Going back and looking to 1999-2017. Abingdon has had 8 winning seasons, Reed was in command for 4 of those. He doubled their winning seasons since 1999 in 4 years. That says a lot. I don’t count his time at Wise-Central, because no one is going to win there, and was a trial run for him. If Darren wants the HC job, he’ll more than likely get it (i’d assume), unless someone surprises all of SWVA and wants the job. What would really suck for GC is if Reed says no. Then it’s really back to the drawing board. I say Reed is seen as a safety option. Have him as the front runner but test the waters a bit and see if anyone else bites, if not, Reed is the man. I just hope not a lot of time is wasted after the season the over, I hope the ball gets rolling very soon after.  

Back to the game;

Watched Betsy @ Boone last week, Betsy in the first half pretty much shut Boone down. Betsy looked very solid but Boone looked pretty weak. GC might be able to play with them and even lead them early like they’ve done the past 2 weeks. But I don’t see GC stopping Boone’s offense like Betsy done. 

37-13 Boone. 

12 hours ago, Hokie101 said:

Shouldn't you be in class?  I can't imagine an adult posting something like that about a kid.

You are correct. He IS on the team...but I wont divulge his identity. 

Also, this is a prime example of why GC is nowhere near a turnaround. The fans are fighting. The team is turning it's back on itself. There's no pride. 

Gate City football is DEAD. And that sucks for SWVA.

Why is it that everyone keeps talking about advertising for a head coaching position.  As I have said before the only way Akers leaves is if he quits and there is not a real demand for drivers ed teachers.  The School Board showed their support for him this past season and with county election not until next November.  I`m afraid this nightmare will continue for at least 1 more year. 

I am impressed with the number of "Perfect" GC Football Fans on this forum.  But I must say I feel sorry for all the headaches you guys have because you know everything.  Tylenol must give you guys free stock😁.  Many times it has been talked about how the kids have quit or have poor attitudes and just give up.  Gee, I wonder who they got their attitudes from?  Everyone is constantly talking about how many hours Akers puts in compared to what they believe other coaches work. How do you know this?  Do you live at the school/field?  Are you constantly following Akers?  If so, how do you keep your job? 🤔 People say the School Board supports Akers.  Maybe they do or maybe they don't.  Maybe they are actually pretty smart. They realize the numbers and talent just aren't there from Little League up.  How would it look, if GC still didn't perform to everyone's Highest Standards?  I mean GC's "Perfect" Fans just cannot be wrong.  Akers has be to the blame for everything.  I'm pretty sure I saw him doing some sort of Voodoo spell to conjure up Hurricane Florence just so GC wouldn't have to lose again this Friday.  I guess he failed at that too🤦‍♀️

You don't have to be "perfect" to realize he's in over his head.  That's been evident since he's been there. I'm not sure how many hours he puts in, but he could be there 24/7 and it wouldn't matter. It's wonderful that you're ok with them being mediocre, but folks that have supported them decade after decade are not ok with it. When you settle for mediocrity, this is what you end up with and I'm afraid a lot of folks have "settled".  You may have a son on the team. If so, why wouldn't you want the best coach and opportunity for them? The money brought in during football season also helps sports all year long. When you go from 5,000 for each home game to less than 1,000, those numbers add up. There's a lot more to it than just wins and losses.

As far as the "numbers and talent" not being there, GC has usually averaged mid-upper 40's each year. We didn't always have the best talent during the Colobro years, but he got every bit of effort and talent that he could get out of each player. There was no "voodoo" then. He was just a helluva football coach with outstanding assistants.

I don't mean anything I've said to sound offensive in any way, but I've followed this program for more than 40 years and I've traveled thousands of miles to support the kids. It's heart breaking for me to see what's happened to the entire program.

As a parent, Yes I do want the best opportunities for my children. I have seen a Coach have such a connection with his players that the majority of them would run thru a brick wall if asked.  But I have also seen said Coach not be able to do anything to reach a player.  I believe alot has to do with how the kids are taught at home.  If a player constantly sees/hears everyone personally attacking their coach, those feelings will spread like a cancer thru a locker room.  Akers may or may not be the Best Coach for GC Football. But to say he is the ONLY problem is the 1st problem.  I am all for constructive criticism.  Not going to games because a team is struggling and the fans are trying to show the HC that he isn't supported hurts the school/kids.  Can you imagine working hard on a presentation for work and when you go to present it no one shows up? I know that's a little bit of a stretch but it's the same for the kids.  No matter what the outcome of the game is, if the kids are truly putting in the hard work, they are already defeated when they walk out and the stands are missing fans.  The kids hear the fans heckling Akers on the sideline as well.  Again, that spreads like a cancer throughout.  You just can't put all the blame on Akers.  GC Fans say there will be all kinds of people applying for the HC position when it becomes available.  I think they have actually put a bitter taste in people's mouth in how they have shown their "school spirit". Akers has more support around SWVA than GC Fans would like.  There is a way of handling these these situations and GC Fans have failed their team.