What would happen?

Tigers_07

10 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I think that Appo team could take Phoebus the last 3 years. But back around 2010 or so those Phoebus teams were unstoppable! And I agree they wouldn’t have anything for Westfield or Oscar Smith

Good point about Phoebus. I guess I was a little off in my years. Lol

3 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I'm putting 2016 Appo as 1-2 tds better than any GC, PV, Giles, or Richlands team.. that Appo team was truly special!

I don't believe that. A team like 97 or 98 PV, I'd favor them. That 2016 Appomattox team barely beat Dan River, 16-14. The same Dan River team Union beat, but by five. 

They were CLICKING at the end of the year, but they were far from unbeatable. 

7 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I don't believe that. A team like 97 or 98 PV, I'd favor them. That 2016 Appomattox team barely beat Dan River, 16-14. The same Dan River team Union beat, but by five. 

Appo and DR is a rivalry so yea it was close. But then Appo beat Union by 43 so what you said about Union beating DR is irrelevant. You can't base it off of other games.

1 hour ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Appo and DR is a rivalry so yea it was close. But then Appo beat Union by 43 so what you said about Union beating DR is irrelevant. You can't base it off of other games.

I was jus saying that Appo team was far from unbeatable. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just don't believe Appo could move the ball against that PV team or stop JJ.

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

Actually yes they were unbeatable...nobody beat them lol

Just messing with ya

42 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I was jus saying that Appo team was far from unbeatable. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just don't believe Appo could move the ball against that PV team or stop JJ.

Unfortunately we’ll never know, we’ll just have to keep giving our opinions haha 

4 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Actually yes they were unbeatable...nobody beat them lol

Just messing with ya

They were unbeatable for over two seasons lol. They won what, 34 straight games? 

1990 PV vs 1990 Dobyns-Bennett.....some of my D-B fan coworkers said it was the best team D-B had fielded. I saw them earlier that year, and had my doubts. Told them PV could play with them and they laughed. Mighty D-B promptly went out and lost to Morristown West in the first round of the playoffs. In general, football in NET is pretty weak. There are two teams in NET who are above .500 in the playoffs. Elizabethton and Greeneville.  Mighty D-B and Science hill are below .500. That's a lot of 1st losses. Greeneville would be an exception this year. The Ballard kid is an amazing high school QB and he separates them for any other school in the state. They will score whatever they damn well please on South this week. But no matter how good you think a local team might be, there's always better. We're heading to Florida on Sunday for a few weeks. The level of play is ridiculous.

23 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

They were unbeatable for over two seasons lol. They won what, 34 straight games? 

It was like 49-1 at one point, a loss to Heritage being the only blemish before this season. By my count it was 32 straight, and have only lost twice since 2015, both to Heritage. Union came as close as anyone in 2017 aside from the Heritage loss, and Richlands came close in 2015 in a game Richlands should have won, they were better than Appo that year IMO.

11 hours ago, Bearcat Dad said:

I agree.

They were the total package, for around here. That game we played against them has one of my son’s favorite sports memories, for himself. As a sophomore, he scored our only TD of the game, which actually came in the 2nd quarter, against the Appomattox 1s. He appreciated getting to compete against that level of greatness.

Greeneville’s level of greatness is an entirely different level. They are a team that is ranked in their state, up with any of the top teams from Memphis or any other metropolitan area in Tennessee, regardless of level of classification.

Again, no disrespect to the 2016 Appomattox group, but even that team was not going to travel east and whip the likes of Oscar Smith, Phoebus, or Westfield.

You hit on the major point; it’s all a matter of scale.  2016 Appomattox would have won the 3A title handily, and would have been a coin flip with Salem.  They wouldn’t have been blown off the field against elite 5A/6A competition, but they just didn’t have that class of horses.  Just like the Bluefield/Greeneville comparisons: Bluefield wouldn’t be blown off the field, but it’s just a different level of competition.  

As for matchups, I’d love to see 2001 Graham against 2016 Appomattox.  When that 2001 Graham team had its head screwed on right, it was scary what they could do to an opponent.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

You hit on the major point; it’s all a matter of scale.  2016 Appomattox would have won the 3A title handily, and would have been a coin flip with Salem.  They wouldn’t have been blown off the field against elite 5A/6A competition, but they just didn’t have that class of horses.  Just like the Bluefield/Greeneville comparisons: Bluefield wouldn’t be blown off the field, but it’s just a different level of competition.  

As for matchups, I’d love to see 2001 Graham against 2016 Appomattox.  When that 2001 Graham team had its head screwed on right, it was scary what they could do to an opponent.

They wouldn't be blown off the field, but I honestly believe Greenville would win by 24+.

6 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I hadn’t thought about that matchup. That is a very interesting matchup to ponder!

On 9/26/2018 at 5:19 PM, Grapeape said:

I mean no disrespect to Beaver, Greeneville is just freakish this season. A game between the two is not totally unthinkable... Graham took Mr. Bradshaw’s bunch down there a few years back. 

Graham went 1-1 vs. Greeneville...40-7 victory at Mitchell Stadium in 2001 and lost 34-32 in 2002 (Bradshaw's SO and JR seasons).

13 hours ago, JDHoss said:

1990 PV vs 1990 Dobyns-Bennett.....some of my D-B fan coworkers said it was the best team D-B had fielded. I saw them earlier that year, and had my doubts. Told them PV could play with them and they laughed. Mighty D-B promptly went out and lost to Morristown West in the first round of the playoffs. In general, football in NET is pretty weak. There are two teams in NET who are above .500 in the playoffs. Elizabethton and Greeneville.  Mighty D-B and Science hill are below .500. That's a lot of 1st losses. Greeneville would be an exception this year. The Ballard kid is an amazing high school QB and he separates them for any other school in the state. They will score whatever they damn well please on South this week. But no matter how good you think a local team might be, there's always better. We're heading to Florida on Sunday for a few weeks. The level of play is ridiculous.

I figured one of the small schools like Cloudland or Hampton would have a decent playoff record.  Cloudland was always a pretty big power in the 90's if I recall?

2 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

I'll participate here.

1979 Tijuana Brass vs. Phenix Horns (of Earth, Wind, & Fire) circa 1981.  Who ya got?

I'd put money on the support group for EWF, but I do think Herb Alpert's boys would fight dirty.

If you giving odds, I take Alpert! What Happens in Tijuana, Stays In Tijuana! 

9 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

I'll participate here.

1979 Tijuana Brass vs. Phenix Horns (of Earth, Wind, & Fire) circa 1981.  Who ya got?

I'd put money on the support group for EWF, but I do think Herb Alpert's boys would fight dirty.

The Horns (EW&F) would edge the Brass.

But neither hold a candle to The J.B.s (of James Brown).

It's just a different level of competition.

8 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I figured one of the small schools like Cloudland or Hampton would have a decent playoff record.  Cloudland was always a pretty big power in the 90's if I recall?

You'd think, but Hampton was 19-31. I could only find data on Cloudland for the last 14 years, but they were 5-12. It's possible that they may be around the .500 mark if you went back further. What is amazing was Dobyns-Bennett's 30-34 record. That's a pretty lousy playoff record considering that up until a couple of years ago they had won more games than anyone in the state of Tennessee. That's a lot of first and second round losses, and probably most came with D-B as the #1 or #2 seed in the region and facing a lower seed. Science Hill is 15-21. Want some staggering playoff records? Alcoa is 106-15....Maryville is 120-22. I haven't looked it up, but right off hand I'd guess that in SWVA that Appy, PV, Clintwood, Burton, Union, Gate City, Graham, and Richlands for sure have winning playoff records and, GW, Honaker, Jonesville, Pennington and maybe some others do as well or are close to .500

1 hour ago, JDHoss said:

You'd think, but Hampton was 19-31. I could only find data on Cloudland for the last 14 years, but they were 5-12. It's possible that they may be around the .500 mark if you went back further. What is amazing was Dobyns-Bennett's 30-34 record. That's a pretty lousy playoff record considering that up until a couple of years ago they had won more games than anyone in the state of Tennessee. That's a lot of first and second round losses, and probably most came with D-B as the #1 or #2 seed in the region and facing a lower seed. Science Hill is 15-21. Want some staggering playoff records? Alcoa is 106-15....Maryville is 120-22. I haven't looked it up, but right off hand I'd guess that in SWVA that Appy, PV, Clintwood, Burton, Union, Gate City, Graham, and Richlands for sure have winning playoff records and, GW, Honaker, Jonesville, Pennington and maybe some others do as well or are close to .500

This substantiates your theory on the historical weakness of NET football.

VHSL Playoff Record 1970-2017 (0.500 or better)   Source: Fourseasonsfootball.com

Team/Wins/Losses/Winning %  

Appalachia    44    15    0.746  

Powell Valley   45   19   0.703   

Giles   44   23   0.657

Galax   23   12   0.657

Richlands   39   21   0.650   

Gate City   53   31   0.631

J.I. Burton 39   24   0.619

George Wythe   29   18   0.617

Union    11    7    0.611

Clintwood    34    22    0.607   

Jonesville    7    5    0.583