What would happen?

Tigers_07

9 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

VHSL Playoff Record 1970-2017 (0.500 or better)   Source: Fourseasonsfootball.com

Team/Wins/Losses/Winning %  

Appalachia    44    15    0.746  

Powell Valley   45   19   0.703   

Giles   44   23   0.657

Galax   23   12   0.657

Richlands   39   21   0.650   

Gate City   53   31   0.631

J.I. Burton 39   24   0.619

George Wythe   29   18   0.617

Union    11    7    0.611

Clintwood    34    22    0.607   

Jonesville    7    5    0.583

Pennington     9     7    0.563

Garden    6    5    0.545  

Fort Chiswell    13    11   0.542

Honaker     21   18   0.538 

Radford    30   26   0.536 

Graham    34    30    0.531    

Pulaski County    26     26    0.500  

Pound    4    4    0.500             

Rich Valley    1    1    0.500

Great list. I'm a little surprised that Graham and Radford are only 4 games above .500. At any rate, it's amazing that a region has that many teams above .500 in playoff competition, and 13 different state champions.....

13 hours ago, V-Cats said:

1992 vs. 2006 vs. 2010 Richlands

Breeding vs. Jennings vs. Johnson

Great to think about.  Thankfully I was able to watch all 3 play.

Breeding was just tough hard nosed and would get you 3-4 yards a pop for the most part.

Jennings was just so quick and shifty.  He could just hide behind the lineman and find a hole and he was through it before the D knew it.  He could also stop on a dime and change directions so fast.

Johnson was just a man among boys.  Power, speed, stiff arm, etc., etc., 

But for me, I am partial to Jennings.  He was just fun to watch.  He had around 44 TD's his senior year if I am not mistaken.  Who knows what kind of numbers he, would have put up his Junior and Senior years had he played more than 2 quarters and a series most of those games.  He just left you shaking your head with your mouth gaped open a lot throughout the game.   

5 hours ago, JDHoss said:

Great list. I'm a little surprised that Graham and Radford are only 4 games above .500. At any rate, it's amazing that a region has that many teams above .500 in playoff competition, and 13 different state champions.....

Marrs and Williams going 3-9 in the playoffs, and 0-8 against opponents not named “Tazewell”, hurts the mark a little.  As much as I question Palmer’s preparation and strategy at times, he is 3-0 in first round playoff games and 5-3 overall.

24 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Marrs and Williams going 3-9 in the playoffs, and 0-8 against opponents not named “Tazewell”, hurts the mark a little.  As much as I question Palmer’s preparation and strategy at times, he is 3-0 in first round playoff games and 5-3 overall.

How long has Palmer been at Graham, ten years? 

13 hours ago, mv91 said:

Great to think about.  Thankfully I was able to watch all 3 play.

Breeding was just tough hard nosed and would get you 3-4 yards a pop for the most part.

Jennings was just so quick and shifty.  He could just hide behind the lineman and find a hole and he was through it before the D knew it.  He could also stop on a dime and change directions so fast.

Johnson was just a man among boys.  Power, speed, stiff arm, etc., etc., 

But for me, I am partial to Jennings.  He was just fun to watch.  He had around 44 TD's his senior year if I am not mistaken.  Who knows what kind of numbers he, would have put up his Junior and Senior years had he played more than 2 quarters and a series most of those games.  He just left you shaking your head with your mouth gaped open a lot throughout the game.   

Caleb Jennings probably had 10 touchdowns or more called back for holding penalties too. That’s one thing I remember about him. The yards and the touchdowns he had called back would’ve been enough to make an all region team

• 1 month later...

On 10/5/2018 at 9:52 AM, JDHoss said:

What stands out to me on that list is Gate City, PV, and Appy. PV played 64 playoff games and Appy played 59 up until 2010. What if they were still around through 2017? Those total playoff games would be much higher.  Gate City has a whopping played 84 playoff games. And Giles with 77. All 4 of those are impressive to me.  

The Appy Travis’. Turner and Clark. They started 55 games in their high school career. Could have only played a max 56 games. They lost to Bath county in the state semis in 10th grade. Won three state titles. Not to mention Julius Jones was running wild and winning back to back titles during this same time. And Gate City also won a title same year as these two. If memory serves me, Lee high was poised to make a run at a title but fell apart in the 97 semis. 

I’d take Appy or PV over any other former state champs. No offense, especially to the Blue Tornadoes. I just feel like the type of ball played then was unmatched. Nevermind those two teams owned the 90’s. Wish the vhsl would update its simulator to go all the way back to at least 70 when it started officially state champs. 

On 10/3/2018 at 10:40 AM, SWVAgridiron said:

I'm putting 2016 Appo as 1-2 tds better than any GC, PV, Giles, or Richlands team.. that Appo team was truly special!

The 1980ish Giles team was incredible and the Gate City of 74 is the best AA (Double A back then)team in the history of Southwestern VA and arguably, the state of Virginia. They were that dominant. PV of 97 would have given Appo of 16 all they could handle and then some 

6 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

The 1980ish Giles team was incredible and the Gate City of 74 is the best AA (Double A back then)team in the history of Southwestern VA and arguably, the state of Virginia. They were that dominant. PV of 97 would have given Appo of 16 all they could handle and then some 

That 1980 Giles team featured a current Richlands head coach so you know they were good hahaha

And that PV team of 97 was pretty damn good as well

53 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

98 PV crushes 2016 Appo. More D1 players, better D1 players, and stronger at the line. 

Those late mid-late 90s PV teams were fun to watch. They were just wicked good in all phases of the game. The talent level was alarmingly Abnormal for SWVA teams. 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

98 PV crushes 2016 Appo. More D1 players, better D1 players, and stronger at the line. 

Was it ‘97 or ‘98 that was stronger? In ‘97, PV essentially won 3 State Championships — Division 1,2, and 3 — as they beat Appy and GC, both of whom brought home titles.

Regardless, teams stronger than 2016 Appo:

1974 GC

1980 Giles

1997(or ‘98) PV

Also, as an addendum: Best team NOT to win a State Championship: 1996 GC. Lost to Brookville in a mud bowl in the semis.

1 hour ago, Blue Cannonball said:

Was it ‘97 or ‘98 that was stronger? In ‘97, PV essentially won 3 State Championships — Division 1,2, and 3 — as they beat Appy and GC, both of whom brought home titles.

Regardless, teams stronger than 2016 Appo:

1974 GC

1980 Giles

1997(or ‘98) PV

Also, as an addendum: Best team NOT to win a State Championship: 1996 GC. Lost to Brookville in a mud bowl in the semis.

I always thought 98 was better but 97 was right there with them. 

On 9/25/2018 at 3:45 AM, rabidbeaver said:

My brother lives in the Jonesboro -Johnson City area (sons played for Daniel Boone ),and when he came in for the Beaver - graham game this year, we had a discussion about Greenville.  He told me that Greenville actually plays a class up. He said that they are really a 3A school that moved up to 4A and plays 5 and 6A's schools. 

I asked him if this year's Bluefield team could beat Greenville, and he sat their and pondered for a minute. He said that Greenville would probably win, but it wouldn't be by much. Depth would be a key factor. 

Greeneville  is a different breed  they work like NO other HS Program I have ever seen!!!! They are just to strong at every position physically, on top of beimh Very Talented  and then they are coached up soo  technically sound. They also have Ws  over 2 6A  programs and can compete with probably  Maryville Alcoa and Whitehaven  for the BEST overall program in the Whole State.  I would love to see the Match Up and See how it plays out they really probably  could get it scheduled  because  Gville  has trouble  finding  close quality  games.