Rescue Squad

robtom

Patrick Henry AD/Head FB coach should be ashamed.  An RR football player broke his leg last Friday and lay on the field of play for 45 minutes before an ambulance made it to Glade Spring.  The AD/HFB Coach should have more of a handle on game night procedures.  In fact, you should not be allowed to even start a game until EMS is present.  He is probably more concerned about playing Whitewood or Rich Valley....SMH

I thought some type of EMS had to be present in order for a game to be played.  If that is not a rule then it should be one.  With a physical sport like football, anything can happen in a split second and seconds can be the difference between life and death.  I'd be interested in finding out what is said about this situation.

Most places have ems there, I know my alma mater did. However, there is a big drain on most rural ems limited manpower, and they can’t always be there or get there. I would think if it took an ambulance crew 45 mins to get there then there probably wouldn’t have been a crew available for the game. Just my guess. 

6 hours ago, robtom said:

Patrick Henry AD/Head FB coach should be ashamed.  An RR football player broke his leg last Friday and lay on the field of play for 45 minutes before an ambulance made it to Glade Spring.  The AD/HFB Coach should have more of a handle on game night procedures.  In fact, you should not be allowed to even start a game until EMS is present.  He is probably more concerned about playing Whitewood or Rich Valley....SMH

Are you sure they weren’t there before and had to leave? The EMS at Richlands on Friday night was there and got called out just before halftime to go answer a call. If that’s happening at a bigger place like Richlands, I could see it happening in Glade Spring, especially since their EMS service got dropped and they had to scramble to find a new service. 

https://wcyb.com/news/virginia-news/glade-spring-life-saving-crew-no-longer-responding-to-calls

10 minutes ago, swvafbrespect said:

Guys did some checking on this and Glade does not have a local unit as mentioned by Ryan4VT.  The EMT from ABingdon was assigned the game but went on another call. They were at JMH wnet the injury happened and reported to the game showing up as the 2nd unit.

I kind of figured this was the case. We've been following the EMS in Glade story for a while and I knew that other units were serving the area. 

Wouldn't be so quick to throw the A.D. and or Coach under the bus on this one. In many rural areas it is very difficult to procure EMS services for a game. In many cases the volunteer organizations are spread too thin and the privately owned EMS groups can be called away in a minutes notice. 

In an area that has multiple football games on a Friday night, it is imperative that these services are scheduled well in advance, months even, in order to make sure that the games are covered and even then it is subject to the above mentioned scenarios.

Our rural EMS groups are really hurting.  We are fortunate in my area that we have some really good dedicated people working but other parts of Scott County have been hit hard with issues recently as well, and I know that is common place anymore.

Coaches and AD's can't increase funding and number of volunteers to make rural rescue and fire departments possible.  They are overwhelmed as it is and they volunteer to do it. 

Not directed toward anyone in-particular but if you're not volunteering to go into a situation everyone else is running away from, you should probably not complain about those who do!

trublu     

Westside defeats River View 34-0. Game called with 9:17 left in the 3rd. A WS player transported by ambulance to hospital.

With no other ambulance available at Bradshaw, the coaches made the decision to call it "Game over" in the third quarter.