Tazewell @ Fort Chiswell

THS6805

14 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

I heard that Fort Chiswell lost their running back to a serious injury.

He has torn ligaments I believe. No clue how game will turn out. I was one who thought Tazewell vs Richlands would be more of a battle. 

Fort lost Jukubiak in the first series of the first game of the season.  Losing Brown as well will be a lot to overcome.  Fort was very well prepared for Galax and gave them all they wanted for a half.  The wheels kind-of fell off when Galax scored two touchdowns in the opening 3 minutes of the second half.  Take away a turnover and a miscue on kickoff return and Fort would have been in position to win against Galax.

Tazewell should win this game but I think it will be closer than most people expect. 

You have to give FC head coach alot of credit for what he has done this year with the situation he was placed in. 

Fort came out against Galax and gave it their best shot. Played extremely hard. The first half was a good game. The second half loss of brown let Galax come after the quarterback and stopped the passing game.  

After laying it all out against Galax and losing Brown, it will be hard to regroup. 

41 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I tend to agree, but that Grundy game will be tough. Fiser is the best RB in SWVA. 

I don't want to take anything away from Grundy or Mr. Fiser, but is he the best RB in SWVA? With the exception of Ridgeview, Grundy's schedule hasn't been filled with stellar competition thus far. He had 78 yards against Ridgeview and 54 of that came when the score was already 40-6. How many yards would Adkins, Sexton, Rose, Jones, Polier, Harris or Jenkins have if they played River View(1-6), Lebanon(0-6), Hurley(3-4), Montcalm(0-6), Twin Valley(3-4) or Honaker(3-3)?

Maybe he is the best 1A RB(although Sanchez may disagree) against similar competition, but I don't think a case can be made that he is the best overall RB in SWVA. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

I tend to agree, but that Grundy game will be tough. Fiser is the best RB in SWVA. 

How many did he get against Ridgeview? Answer:  79 yards.  Most of those came on one carry.  Otherwise the Pack shut him down.

Sure the stats are impressive and all, but Adkins, Sexton, Jenkins, Sanchez and perhaps others could get over 300 a game against River View and Lebanon as well....

2 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I don't want to take anything away from Grundy or Mr. Fiser, but is he the best RB in SWVA? With the exception of Ridgeview, Grundy's schedule hasn't been filled with stellar competition thus far. He had 78 yards against Ridgeview and 54 of that came when the score was already 40-6. How many yards would Adkins, Sexton, Rose, Jones, Polier, Harris or Jenkins have if they played River View(1-6), Lebanon(0-6), Hurley(3-4), Montcalm(0-6), Twin Valley(3-4) or Honaker(3-3)?

Maybe he is the best 1A RB(although Sanchez may disagree) against similar competition, but I don't think a case can be made that he is the best overall RB in SWVA. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

You can’t control your competition. All he can do is look at the tram on the schedule and go out and run the ball. And he’s done it well. I think if you put him behind the lines of Ridgeview or Union or Chilhowie, he’d have the same numbers against better competition. But that’s just the way I view it. Kid is on pace to hit 2,500 yards and regardless of class, that’s not something you see every year. 

4 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Funny we both posted this argument at about the same time...  Lol

7 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

You can’t control your competition. All he can do is look at the tram on the schedule and go out and run the ball. And he’s done it well. I think if you put him behind the lines of Ridgeview or Union or Chilhowie, he’d have the same numbers against better competition. But that’s just the way I view it. Kid is on pace to hit 2,500 yards and regardless of class, that’s not something you see every year. 

You're right. He can't control his competition, and he has done VERY well this season. That's all anyone can ask. I think the "best RB in SWVA" comment is what is debatable. 

1 minute ago, Union_Fan said:

You're right. He can't control his competition, and he has done VERY well this season. That's all anyone can ask. I think the "best RB in SWVA" comment is what is debatable. 

It's certainly debatable. Fiser, Jenkins, Adkins, Sexton, Sanchez, Brown, Harris...there's a lot to debate haha.

1 hour ago, Optimal62 said:

You have to give FC head coach alot of credit for what he has done this year with the situation he was placed in. 

Fort came out against Galax and gave it their best shot. Played extremely hard. The first half was a good game. The second half loss of brown let Galax come after the quarterback and stopped the passing game.  

After laying it all out against Galax and losing Brown, it will be hard to regroup. 

Josh has done extremely well given the hand he was dealt.  Having the head coach resign 3 weeks before the start of the season would be difficult for anyone to overcome.  I was very impressed with them Friday night.

37 minutes ago, rvsteer said:

Fort also had a ton of returners ....based on eye test they have by far best looking kids in MED

The JV/MS kids are equally as impressive.  They have boatloads of talent coming into the varsity program over the next couple of years.  I'm curious to see what they decide to do given Grayson is dropping to Class 1.  Being the lone Class 2 team in an all Class 1 district would be a tough spot to be in.

40 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Grundy has not played Montcalm in at least the last 30 years if ever. To not get too far into the weeds, Grundy scrimmaged Tazewell at Central. IIRC, the 1's played each other very evenly. They should give Tazewell all they want if they do not beat them. I think his stats alone certainly put him in the conversation for best RB in SWVA, and definite candidate for the Pappy in the spring.  

3 minutes ago, chipinbogey said:

Grundy has not played Montcalm in at least the last 30 years if ever.  

You're correct. I didn't mean to put them in there as Grundy's competition, but as River View's lone win. Then I lost train of thought because of ADD. haha

2 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Great point!! Agreed on all points.

To me, saying Emmitt Smith is the greatest RB in history because of his yardage total, is kinda the same argument.

Smith is an all time great, but also played behind an all time great o-line, and played with multiple HOF players on the offensive side of the ball. 

To me, Barry Sanders is the GOAT. He did almost as much as Smith, statistically, but on mostly shitty teams. 

Fiser is an awesome athlete. He’s productive in multiple sports. I believe he’s ONE of the best in SWVA, along with the others that you mention. 

I may be biased, being a VHS guy, but I’d love to see what our RB duo could do with a line as big as Union’s or as experienced as Ridgeview’s. Or even a sliver of help from the passing game, to keep defenses honest. All teams do against us now defensively, is keep 8 or 9 in the box, and we still run for almost 200 yds per game. Rose is still averaging over 8 ypc this year, and Thomas has gotten over the “Freshman Hurdle” and is getting better every week.

I’m definitely not saying we’re the best by any stretch, but we are behind the 8-ball, compared to the other teams mentioned in other areas of our offense, and our 2 backs (especially Rose) have made the most of their opportunities in a pass happy offense. Rose does this on top of having a dominant year on the defensive side of the ball and being in line for a 2nd straight All-State year at LB

fiser stats are impressive, would be more so against tougher opponents, but I believe that was the same case last season when Adkins wasn't as successful against one particular team. stats were still good despite one game and still had great post season accolades.  good luck to fiser, hope he hits 3000

7 hours ago, sixcat said:

Josh has done extremely well given the hand he was dealt.  Having the head coach resign 3 weeks before the start of the season would be difficult for anyone to overcome.  I was very impressed with them Friday night.

Fact Check

6 minutes ago, robtom said:

He has done really well...considering the principle at the school hates football. He tells his youth baseball and basketball team members to not play football as it is a waste of time.  I know this as fact as my son plays baseball for principle Dyer...........the school board should stop nepotism at FC...btw, principle Dyer's brother is the head baseball and basketball coach.

I grew up down the road from Dyer and Derrick.  Their dad coached me and my brother for many years.  I don't know the status of Wythe County politics but this doesn't sound like the family I have known for 35 years.

Derrick replaced coach Jonas as the head basketball coach well over a decade ago at Fort Chiswell while Dyer was the assistant principal at Rural Retreat.  Derrick has also been the baseball coach for 12 years.  Dyer has only come over to Fort Chiswell in the past couple of years.  I'm not certain that rises to the level of "nepotism" given they were at different schools on opposite ends of the county for much of their early careers.  Maybe I'm missing something!