Coaching Hot Seat/Coach Looking To Move On

50kw

6 hours ago, Dookthecook said:

JONES 1 and JONES 2

Folks tend to forget that Robbins won 3 State Titles in his first 8 years at PV (85,89,90). Thomas Jones first year would have been Phil’s 10th as a the coach. His other 4 all featured a Jones at TB but those weren’t exactly one dimensional teams.

5 hours ago, FoxTrot said:

BIG WINNERS SPEAKS THE TRUTH!  THOSE THAT DOUBT THIS WERE AND OBVIOUSLY STILL ARE JEALOUS OF THE PROGRAM!!  Phil is the GOAT!!giphy.gif

Never said that, only that playing down his accomplishments and saying any decent coach could have accomplished what he did is severely shortchanging him as a coach.

4 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I'll give you three other names (Tom Turner, James Bolling, and Jim Riggs) and say that Phil Robbins is neither at the top nor the bottom of the list. 

Curious as to what were James Bolling's accomplishments other than that 1 state title?

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

Curious as to what were James Bolling's accomplishments other than that 1 state title?

According to four seasons, his record as HC at PV was 44-16-3 over 6 seasons (28-11-3 in the LPD)...3 playoff wins, all in 1982 and all on the road. He was 4-1-1 vs. Appalachia. He coached PV to their first LPD Title, their first Region D Title, and their first State Title...all coming in 1982. Best season was in 1982 as well with a 12-0-1 record. That comes out to a .698 overall win percentage over 6 seasons. (.666 district win percentage)

2 minutes ago, Boomhauer said:

Opinion or factual?

They extended him for 1 more year after last season. This season is now over with a repeat 1-9 season. The coaching duties should be taken before too long. Not sure if it will be tomorrow or next week or when. But I would assume it’s coming in the near future. At least everyone in Gate City hopes. 

1 hour ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

They extended him for 1 more year after last season. This season is now over with a repeat 1-9 season. The coaching duties should be taken before too long. Not sure if it will be tomorrow or next week or when. But I would assume it’s coming in the near future. At least everyone in Gate City hopes. 

🏻🏻🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

1 hour ago, GC_Quincy said:

Turner will always get my vote. I'll never forget watching them pull into GC one night about 15 minutes before kickoff. They came in and kicked our hind ends, went straight back to the bus and left.

LOL.   I experienced that myself.  Assuming "district" as the LPD, coalfield demographics and different VHSL divisions over the years it's hard to make a fair comparison between coaches.  Never played for Phil or Tom but played against them.  Those two would have to be at/near the top of my list.  Best high school game I ever saw Appy vs PV, I think 1997.  Travis playn at Appy and Julius Jones at PV.  There was a wall of PV blue and red jerseys down the PV sideline and I think around 25 dressed out for the Bulldogs.  Appy came up short on the scoreboard that night but I will never forget how much I respected the Turner's and the rest of the Bulldogs when I left that game.

12 hours ago, Weatherman said:

11 hours ago, sup_rbeast said:

According to four seasons, his record as HC at PV was 44-16-3 over 6 seasons (28-11-3 in the LPD)...3 playoff wins, all in 1982 and all on the road. He was 4-1-1 vs. Appalachia. He coached PV to their first LPD Title, their first Region D Title, and their first State Title...all coming in 1982. Best season was in 1982 as well with a 12-0-1 record. That comes out to a .698 overall win percentage over 6 seasons. (.666 district win percentage)

James Bolling took a basketball school, that played in the toughest football district in Single A, and built it into a juggernaut.   

Phil Robbins inherited the defending State Champs with five players who made all-state.

17 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

James Bolling took a basketball school, that played in the toughest football district in Single A, and built it into a juggernaut.   

Phil Robbins inherited the defending State Champs with five players who made all-state.

And blew a chance to get another ring in '83. 

Powell Valley wasn't successful because of Robbins, Robbins was successful because of Powell Valley.