Tim Hayes Retweeted

BristolSports @BHCSports

VHSL CLASS 3 STATE GOLF: Creasy, Abingdon repeat:

BristolSports @BHCSports
VHSL CLASS 1 STATE GOLF: Blevins, George Wythe snag gold:

Will add the Union storyline when posted... AGAIN, JUST AWESOME
showing by SWVA GOLF teams...

Times News Sports @tnsportslive 

ICYMI: Jerred Chandler's senior-laden @unionbearslive team captured the first #VHSL Class 2 golf championship — the school's first state title in any sport — on Tuesday at Lonesome Pine Country Club

BristolSports @BHCSports
VHSL CLASS 2 STATE GOLF: Union wins first title on home course:

• 11 months later...

Congrats to the SWVA GOLF  teams  ...great showing...OUTSTANDING!!!

Allen Gregory @Greg_BHCSports

Class 2 Golf Final Scores: Radford 325, Virginia High 334, Graham 335, 
Giles 365

great state

On 10/14/2019 at 8:29 PM, trublue said:

Allen Gregory @Greg_BHCSports

Wise county native Cody Roberts coached Radford to its first state golf championship at the River Trace course in Radford. #hcgf

great state

“River Trace”????? 🥴🤣

The River Course at VT!!!!!

Timesland @Timesland

GOLF: George Wythe shoots a team score of 306 to win the VHSL Class 1 state golf title at the Pete Dye River Course at Virginia Tech #timesland

Allen Gregory Retweeted

Runner up finish for Falcon Golf in 2019 State Tourn.

great state

Just to add to the above re: GW...IMPRESSIVE

Tim Hayes Retweeted

Rusty Beamer @beamer_rusty
GWHS Golf scores: C. Blevins 73 D. Goode 74 B. Blevins 78 G. Rosenbaum 81 P. Coe 84 A. Mabe 88 GWHS shoots a 306,
 wins the VHSL Group 1 Golf Tournament. Their fourth championship in the last five years. Great job!

great state

A few observations from this season.  I hate the fact the VHSL reduced the state tournament from 36 holes to 18 holes.  Sleeping on a lead and coming from behind are key components of tournament golf!  The River Course is a tough course so, 306 is an exceptional team score.  Won't look quite as good compared to other team scores from years past but they don't often play a course as tough as The River Course.  Channing Blevins came to Galax and tied for 3rd at the Blue Ridge Invitational in August against the top amateur and professional adults in our region.  Quality field and the kid more than held his own!  

I thought this was interesting, maybe you will too!

Since the VHSL went to the 6 classification system in 2013, Region C and/or D has won the state golf championship 16 of 20 times over the lower three classifications.  17 championships in 21 tries if you add Blacksburg's 2017 AAAA title.  Go back to 2000, and we can add another 17 state titles when the VHSL only recognized three classifications statewide.  That's 34 state championships in 19 years!

• 2019 - George Wythe (A), Radford (AA)
  • 2018 - George Wythe (A), Union (AA),, Abingdon (AAA)
  • 2017 - Auburn (A), Abingdon (AAA), Blacksburg (AAAA)
  • 2016 - George Wythe (A), Giles (AA), Blacksburg (AAA)
  • 2015 - George Wythe (A), Abingdon (AAA)
  • 2014 - Hidden Valley (AAA)
  • 2013 - Holston (A), Graham (AA), Tunstall (AAA)

This end of the state dominates in a sport perceived to be for the elite.  Yet, our end of the state is perceived to be much less than elite by the eastern end of the state.  Funny how perception can be so far from reality!

• 1 year later...

Congratulations to all the teams and individual medalists at today’s VHSL Golf Championships!

great state

• 5 months later...

VHSL Class 1 State Championship - Olde Mill Resort
Lancaster                 342
Galax                       349
Castlewood             352
Giles                        363
Northumberland      365
Chilhowie                409
William Campbell    443
Buffalo Gap             DNF

Benson Blevins (George Wythe) Medalist with a 71.

VHSL Class 3 State Championship - Glenrochie Country Club
Abingdon                   288
Hidden Valley            312
Lafayette                   323
Spotswood                324
Brentsville District     329
Meridian                    332
Monticello                 344
New Kent                  357

Ashton Harper (Lord Botetourt) Medalist with a 66.

Abingdon shot an astounding even par as a team albeit, on their home course. Even with the home course advantage, that's an incredible accomplishment. All six players on the Abingdon squad finished inside the top 12 individually. Imagine shooting a 76 in a state championship final and not having your score count toward the team standings!?!?! Amazing play by Abingdon from top to bottom.

Galax is very young. No player in the senior class and competed all season with a roster of five players while every other team competed with six. They have a kid coming up to the varsity level next season who will put up scores in the upper 70's to lower 80's right now. With the current roster returning, they are set up for a run over the next few years. Lancaster surprised me. They are talented but eastern shore teams usually don't acclimate to mountain golf very quickly. Kudos to them for putting in the work. 

I will update Class 2 and Class 4 later today.

34 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Abingdon absolutely smoked their competition.  Congratulations, Falcons!

I'd love to see Abingdon and Blacksburg go head to head on a neutral course with something significant at stake. The two best golf programs in Virginia.

Blacksburg has 19 golfers on the roster, which absolutely amazes me! More than a few football programs in SWVA.

VHSL Class 2 State Championship - Olde Mill Resort
Floyd County             326
Patrick County           335
King William              342
Gate City                   354
Randolph Henry        359
Madison County        360
Graham                    366
Mountain View         396

Dylan Olinger (Bruton) was Medalist with an even par 72.

VHSL Class 4 State Championship - Glenrochie Country Club
Blacksburg               285
Jamestown              298
Great Bridge            309
Loudoun County      309
Monacan                  313
Rock Ridge              316
Salem                      317
Powhattan               322

Jake Albert (Blacksburg) was Medalist with a 67. Jake is a 14 year old freshman. He is good friends with a couple of the Galax kids. They play a lot together.

Olde Mill played the same yardage (6,308) for both Class 1 and Class 2. Glenrochie played the Class 3 tournament at 6,295 and played the Class 4 tournament at 6,526. I'm not sure why?!?!?

Obviously, Class 3 athletes are only good enough to compete from the ladies’ tees, while the big manly men of Class 4 are capable of playing from the standard tees.

Kidding!  That does seem bizarre.

Also, I’ve been to Ye Olde Mill.  I don’t get what the fuss is about.  I can post a way higher score than any I’ve seen from that tourney. 

30 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Obviously, Class 3 athletes are only good enough to compete from the ladies’ tees, while the big manly men of Class 4 are capable of playing from the standard tees.

Kidding!  That does seem bizarre.

A friend of my daughter shot a 57 in a NCHSAA tournament yesterday, which is obviously a record. She goes to Reagan High in Pfafftown (near Winston Salem). Her teammates shot 64 and 69. They play four players for three scores in girls golf in North Carolina. The team score was 190, breaking the old state team scoring record by 22 shots. The girl that shot 64 has signed to play at VT. The girl that shot 69 has signed to play at High Point. Needless to say, my daughters friend will be signing somewhere soon.

I don't like the way they do things in NCHSAA for girls golf. Listen, a 57 is outstanding. I don't care what the course statistics are. But it does have to come with something of an asterisk when playing from 4,800 yards. It also sets these girls behind when they go to college and suddenly have to play from 6,400 yards.