VHSL GOLF State Champs

trublue

44 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Obviously, Class 3 athletes are only good enough to compete from the ladies’ tees, while the big manly men of Class 4 are capable of playing from the standard tees.

Kidding!  That does seem bizarre.

Also, I’ve been to Ye Olde Mill.  I don’t get what the fuss is about.  I can post a way higher score than any I’ve seen from that tourney. 

Since my short game is the bane of my golf existence, I always prefer playing from the farther tees.  I'm really strong anywhere from 150 yards or further.  And completely useless everywhere from 150 into the green.

As per high scores... Have I ever told everyone about carding a 117 in a regulation match at Fincastle back in 1986?  I missed a six-foot putt for 116.

If we're going to open up old wounds.........

I used to play competitively quite a bit before having kids but haven't in several years now. I played a VSGA match play "Ryder Cup" style event sometime around 2004. Our third match of the weekend was with two older gentlemen. On #12 at Botetourt Country Club in a four ball format, me and one of the older guys were literally side by side in the fairway (about a foot apart) with around 90 yards into a downhill green. I stopped to relieve myself in the woods to the left of the tee box and when I got to my ball, he had already hit my ball into the greenside bunker. Knowing the rule is loss of hole for playing the wrong ball, I suggested we just move on to #13. The old geezer starts yelling and screaming about it and asks for a ruling. The rules official was completely scared out of his shoes at this guys antics. He drives to the greenside bunker, grabs my ball, drops it beside me and tells me to replace it as near as possible to where it was and proceed. We would let the Tournament Director make the final decision after the match. My partner and I were incensed but ended up giving in and resuming play.

We finish #18 and walk up to the Tournament Director, who is already in a conversation with this old geezer. The TD spins around and says, go to the 1st tee for a sudden death playoff. Any rules violation is null and void once the next hole is started. While this is technically true, it still sucks and completely cheated us out of the win. I snap-hooked my drive into the pond left of the entrance road left of the 1st fairway, putting my partner in an impossible position, and we lost the match. It was 120 yards left of the fairway. I was incredibly pissed off.

About a year later, I was paired with the exact same guy in the first round of another VSGA match play event. He didn't remember me so I played dumb a bit. He introduced me to his playing partner for that day. Which happened to be his son. I remembered his son as well, who immediately remembered me and started back-peddling. His son was the rules official that had completely screwed me the year before!!!  Now, he was scared out of his shoes for a completely different reason. I didn't need a playing partner that day. We won 8 & 6.

I'd love to get @GMantake on the rules situation.

12 minutes ago, GMan said:

Yep, loss of hole.  Know the Rules of Golf before you become a Tournament Director. 

The man that played my ball and his son (the rules official) were pretty high up the food chain with the VSGA at one point in time. Last name Keffer. 

In my opinion, the tournament director knew the rule, he just wasn't going to go against those two. 

Always thought the VSGA was a bit crooked.  Only met one person from the entire organization that I liked and/or trusted and that was Richard Smith.  He was by far the best the VSGA had.