Akers Out at GC?

LongTimeSWVAFan

32 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Doubt that. I hate DB! 

I’d support him and hope things turn out better than the last one. I’ll give anyone their fair chance. As I did Akers, but it doesn’t take me long to be able to judge if a coach is a good fit or if he knows what he is doing. I’ll support the man, whoever it may be. Until given reason not to. The lack of respect for the kids and the assistants along with their opinions on things during games or during practice did it for me. I had a close connection that played for Akers, I heard things he said and did that I lost ALL respect for him. People can say what they want about Akers and blah blah. But I believe this kid and his close friends I got to talk with about him. We need someone who the kids are going to buy into and respect. That’s gotta be the first order of business. 

1) Respect the pride and tradition 

2) Establish discipline

3) Believe in the kids

4) TEACH football

5) Be very involved in the LL program and promote it different ways, social media, trips with varsity players/coaches, cheerleaders and even the mascot to the elementary schools to convince kids to play, make the uniforms “COOL” so kids want to play. Make it worth playing.  Give everyone a bunch of time to sign up. Stop the stacking of teams, that I hear has been happening. Make winning the season have a reward, get rid of the “participation trophy”. 

6) Be the man you want the kids to grow up to be. Respect and trust the players and your assistant coaches. And you’ll earn yours. 

And bonus

7) Trash the ugly uniforms Akers wasted money on and get some blue helmets. LED scoreboard and hire someone to pressure wash the stadium and paint! It looks awful!

i don’t expect much...

Just curious... why do you hate DB?  I will be going to the majority of their basketball games, probably moving forward as my girlfriend lives directly across from the school and her son goes to school there.

29 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

What happened? 

He was only with us for 2 years, but he tried the “Square peg in a round hole” philosophy with our kids, offensively speaking. I believe we were 6-4 in his first year and 4-6 in his second year. 

Coaches and parents alike said that he regretted coming down here almost immediately. Now this is all heresay because I wasn’t “Bearcat Dad” yet at that time, but I did watch the games. The team looked undisciplined and there were a lot of games, especially in year 2, that the entire team looked lost.

Dont let the 6-4 record in year one fool you. VHS had a very weak schedule in the two years that he was here. We weren’t close to being competitive to the Gate City’s, Tn. High’s, or any of the good teams on our schedule then.

He left as soon as the opportunity presented itself.

An assistant coach from his staff, told me personally that he just never really clicked with the kids at VHS. He also said that Thurman refused to change his ways and adapt his schemes to fit his personnel. The assistant told me that he liked Thurman as a person, but the coaches were always butting heads during his time here.

We were very excited to get him, but it just didn’t work.

58 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

If memory serves me correctly he still put some points up on the scoreboard, but those VA High teams really struggled on the other side of the ball.  

Yeah, they could score some points, especially during his first year. He implemented the spread offense, back before it took over the game like it has now. It could be flashy at times.

8 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Just curious... why do you hate DB?  I will be going to the majority of their basketball games, probably moving forward as my girlfriend lives directly across from the school and her son goes to school there.

Just a handful of miles from them, easy to hate them. They hate us too. Just the spoiled brats to the south. 

First, I think Coach Colley is and outstanding coach.  Second, you people crack me up....

I am glad that you (Larry)  have a personal relationship with Coach Colley.  I bet he wouldn't know you at all.  The funny thing is, all you do is complain about throwing the football and not being in the T.  You wouldn't get your wish if they hired him. Maybe LHL's wish list should include a new baseball bat, the one he had in high school didn't work.

7 hours ago, falconfan1 said:

First, I think Coach Colley is and outstanding coach.  Second, you people crack me up....

I am glad that you (Larry)  have a personal relationship with Coach Colley.  I bet he wouldn't know you at all.  The funny thing is, all you do is complain about throwing the football and not being in the T.  You wouldn't get your wish if they hired him. Maybe LHL's wish list should include a new baseball bat, the one he had in high school didn't work.

You might be surprised. I got to play for Colley in the first ever FCA All-Star game at Va High in 09. He has since ran into me on vacation. He and his wife were staying at the same place I was staying and he remembered who I was and talked to me throughout the week. Funny right? 

I dont complain about about throwing the football. I love throwing the ball in the right situations. I’m a huge fan of running multiple sets with a balanced attack. I cut my teeth on the T and Power-I and love it. But I don’t mind the hurry up Gun/Pistol RPO either. Nothing more lethal than a team that can go power then hit you with some gun for 2 quick plays then power you again. But whatever. 

On 11/19/2018 at 5:12 PM, #BBN said:

I've heard there has been 9 applicants, any truth to this and does anybody know who they are? Heard Gerald Sensabaugh was one of them.....

According to the Scott County VA Star they have received 18 applications.  They intend to interview their top 5 and go from there.

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

According to the Scott County VA Star they have received 18 applications.  They intend to interview their top 5 and go from there.

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

Names, we need names to nitpick and discuss over turkey tomorrow.