Akers Out at GC?

LongTimeSWVAFan

2 hours ago, Grapeape said:

If anyone thinks fan reaction had diddly to due with the recent coaching change, you’re misinformed. GC drew a minimum of 5k fans to every home game, & away games were decently attended. The fans showed up. 

That can't possibly be true. 

According to the VHSL, Legion holds 5,000. That would require it to be 100% full to capacity to be a "minimum of 5k fans." At the Richlands game, the GC side was maybe 70% full, and the visitor GC side was sparse. 

I know you're trying to minimize the impact of what is going on at GC, but sometimes facts are facts. 

5 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

That can't possibly be true. 

According to the VHSL, Legion holds 5,000. That would require it to be 100% full to capacity to be a "minimum of 5k fans." At the Richlands game, the GC side was maybe 70% full, and the visitor GC side was sparse. 

I know you're trying to minimize the impact of what is going on at GC, but sometimes facts are facts. 

I agree. I was at the Richlands and Union games. I was also there Union's open week. Not even close to being full.

I THINK what Grapeape was trying to convey was that fan attendance at the games is not why Akers lost his job.

Akers lost his job because of his record, his attitude toward players/assistant coaches, and the direction the program was heading (falling). He literally started alienating players/assistant coaches on Day 1. For example........you do not talk openly in the field house about coaching at VA High being your dream job.  

GC does not have a history of running off head coaches. Counting Akers we have had 4 head coaches during the last gazillion years. Slight exaggeration. :)

Several weeks ago someone, who said he was on the team under Akers, posted and talked about some issues with Akers. Unless you were close to the team, or are close to people who are close to the team, then you really had no idea what was going on inside the program. So many people, not from GC, have posted about the attitude toward Akers from the GC fans......without having any knowledge about what was going on in the program.

I have attended GC games for 40 years. Played under Colobro. We have had years where the talent level was not exceptional, but we have always had coaches who could get the most out of the players. I know some will disagree with me, but our OVERALL talent level the last few years has not been great. Plus.......we have not had a coach who can get the most out of the players. You add those two together and you end up with 1-9 seasons. Factor in Akers' inability to build positive relationships with players/coaches and you end up with the current state of our program.

I am truly surprised he lasted as long as he did. Sadly, I believe the School Board would have acted quicker if they thought they could find a quality coach, and if they had set their egos aside. Remember.........Akers was what......the School Board's third choice?

Not sure how it works at other schools, but the AD at GC has no influence over who is hired. Have seen him thrown under the bus several times.

Going forward:

Most GC fans will tell you that there is not a coach in America that will restore our program in a year or two. The rest of our fan base needs to accept that.

We need a HC and Assistant Coaches who will bring some enthusiasm back to the program. We need these coaches to be in the halls of the school encouraging kids to participate.

I have no idea who has applied or who will be interviewed. Personally, I do not care if a "GC Person" is hired.

I do think the position is a great opportunity for someone. You could be the HC of a program with a tradition that few in the state can match. A program that has a fan base starved for success, and who would eagerly support a HC who gets the program heading in a positive direction. Plus........you will have a School Board that wants/needs you to succeed after the Akers debacle. Even with our recent failures, believe we are the last, or second to last, AA Team from SW VA to win a state championship. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong....which happens a lot. :) )

45 minutes ago, Great City said:

I THINK what Grapeape was trying to convey was that fan attendance at the games is not why Akers lost his job.

Akers lost his job because of his record, his attitude toward players/assistant coaches, and the direction the program was heading (falling). He literally started alienating players/assistant coaches on Day 1. For example........you do not talk openly in the field house about coaching at VA High being your dream job.  

GC does not have a history of running off head coaches. Counting Akers we have had 4 head coaches during the last gazillion years. Slight exaggeration. 🙂

Several weeks ago someone, who said he was on the team under Akers, posted and talked about some issues with Akers. Unless you were close to the team, or are close to people who are close to the team, then you really had no idea what was going on inside the program. So many people, not from GC, have posted about the attitude toward Akers from the GC fans......without having any knowledge about what was going on in the program.

I have attended GC games for 40 years. Played under Colobro. We have had years where the talent level was not exceptional, but we have always had coaches who could get the most out of the players. I know some will disagree with me, but our OVERALL talent level the last few years has not been great. Plus.......we have not had a coach who can get the most out of the players. You add those two together and you end up with 1-9 seasons. Factor in Akers' inability to build positive relationships with players/coaches and you end up with the current state of our program.

I am truly surprised he lasted as long as he did. Sadly, I believe the School Board would have acted quicker if they thought they could find a quality coach, and if they had set their egos aside. Remember.........Akers was what......the School Board's third choice?

Not sure how it works at other schools, but the AD at GC has no influence over who is hired. Have seen him thrown under the bus several times.

Going forward:

Most GC fans will tell you that there is not a coach in America that will restore our program in a year or two. The rest of our fan base needs to accept that.

We need a HC and Assistant Coaches who will bring some enthusiasm back to the program. We need these coaches to be in the halls of the school encouraging kids to participate.

I have no idea who has applied or who will be interviewed. Personally, I do not care if a "GC Person" is hired.

I do think the position is a great opportunity for someone. You could be the HC of a program with a tradition that few in the state can match. A program that has a fan base starved for success, and who would eagerly support a HC who gets the program heading in a positive direction. Plus........you will have a School Board that wants/needs you to succeed after the Akers debacle. Even with our recent failures, believe we are the last, or second to last, AA Team from SW VA to win a state championship. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong....which happens a lot. 🙂 )

Well put! 

Gate City had very little fan support at Abingdon this season.  It was the lowest turnout I have seen from them.  Ridgeview probably tripled their traveling fan base.  Part of that is simply because if you don't win only the diehard fans continue to come.  I am sure another part of that has to do with the shift from Gate City being a football school to being a basketball school.  

For a long time GC has always been a solid football contender each year.  To get that back you will need someone or something that will make kids want to come out.  The new coach will need to provide excitement to get current athletes back into the pads but for the long term it takes winning.  It will take a few years to begin having any major success but once you do that then the younger kids begin to get interested in playing again.  Right now, your 8-10 year olds are wanting to be the next McClung or Ervin instead of the next Houseright. 

15 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I was at the Gate City and Wise Central game and sat on the Gate City side, where PLENTY of seats were available.  If you can't fill up the visitors side at Central, then there simply weren't many fans there for the blue team.

Sadly, some people call themselves die hard fans, but get butt hurt when their team is not winning, and stay at home.  Kids deserve support whether they are winning or not.  Fans complain about the kids that don't come out for football because of other sports, but then don't support the ones that have the heart to get out there and play and give it their all.  They also like to criticize the ones that do play for not being good enough, or not being tough enough.

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I was at the Gate City and Wise Central game and sat on the Gate City side, where PLENTY of seats were available.  If you can't fill up the visitors side at Central, then there simply weren't many fans there for the blue team.

If I'm not mistaken, that game was moved up a day because of the weather.  That probably hurt the attendance a little.  I also believe the volleyball team was playing that same night in the district tournament maybe.

1 minute ago, RustyShackleford said:

Just glad you and Momma LHL can get back to Friday night date nights. Splitting a Fish dinner at the Campus and Friday Night Lights 

Me too. But Campus does their fish fry on Thursday’s. And also, I’m more of a pre-game pizza buffet at the Pizza Plus guy myself. 

Just now, Leatherhead Larry said:

Me too. But Campus does their fish fry on Thursday’s. And also, I’m more of a pre-game pizza buffet at the Pizza Plus guy myself. 

I figured you’d have the schedule down. Carbo-load for all the bell ringing you’ll be doing now that the Debil is gone 

0FD67A92-1D93-4298-BD66-A30FDBADF026.jpeg

43 minutes ago, RustyShackleford said:

I figured you’d have the schedule down. Carbo-load for all the bell ringing you’ll be doing now that the Debil is gone 

0FD67A92-1D93-4298-BD66-A30FDBADF026.jpeg

Knocked the dust off the ole bell the other day. Good sanding and fresh blue paint and I’ll be ready after my California chicken pizza and cheese stix. And it’s hard not to know the Campus specials with that big ole Jumbotron out front now. 

11 hours ago, Maroons67 said:

Akers sounds like George Wythe's coach. It sounds as though neither has any communication skills but both have huge egos.

Akers did have huge ego and don’t know how or why he thought so much of himself.  His accomplishments were not that impressive to begin with.  I would dare to say he has been humbled over the past few years though.

@RustyShackleford I don't want to get involved with your feud with LHL, but I do feel the need to tell you something. John Redcorn is having an affair with Nancy, and Joseph may not be your son. There, I said it, it's in the open now. If you need to talk, I'm here. 😀

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

And if your Pizza Plus is like the one in BSG, order the Philly sub. It's the best place locally to get a Philly. It's nothing like the actual Phillys with Cheese Whiz or whatever but I like the style you get better at a joint like Pizza Plus. 

I’ll have to try it. The Philly pizza is good too. 

41 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Campus has been under new ownership for a little while now. They are leading the way over Hob Nob at the moment. 

I have to agree. Eaten at Campus a few times now and they are pretty good. To be fair, I never ate there prior to the new owners. I still think Hob Nob has the better desserts. Hot Fudge Cake and Oreo milkshake are the best!

55 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

I’ll have to try it. The Philly pizza is good too. 

Do you like a Philly sub anyway? If not you may not care for it. But if you do, there's is MUCH MUCH better than a Subway or Jimmy John's or the actual chain sub shops. Something about the  pizza ovens I guess. 

I also recommend the cheesy fries if you really wanna go all out lol. They have those great curly fries, and with the cheese on top, they're fantastic. But gotta get them fresh! Impossible to reheat