Akers Out at GC?

LongTimeSWVAFan

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Just wondering how do you guys know that a bunch of head coaches read this board? Do you ask each individual coach? Or just go off the word that a person's team's head coach said they read it?

Not trying to upset you...just curious

I've had many of them contact me and/or tell me through other means that they check out the message board.

3 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Just wondering how do you guys know that a bunch of head coaches read this board? Do you ask each individual coach? Or just go off the word that a person's team's head coach said they read it?

Not trying to upset you...just curious

It’s kind of a mixed bag. We interviewed a lot of coaches for the podcast this year and a lot of them admitted they were on the board. 

We can also see emails associated with everyone’s profile. So sometimes that gives it away, too. 

On 12/27/2018 at 7:40 PM, Smashmouth said:

don't think his next gig will ask about his accomplishments/tenure on this board, just saying. 

Any Fort Chiswell fans want to come out of the wood work?

Fort's principal was the principal at Rural Retreat at the same time Akers was coaching at Rural Retreat.  I have no insight into the relationship but it can't be a coincidence.

Unless Josh Wingate didn't want the job, he earned the opportunity to have the interim tag removed and see what he could do with Fort's program.  This will prove to be as bad a hire for Fort as Tom Hale.  It's sad too because Fort has some ridiculous talent coming into the high school over the next couple of years.  Just my opinion.

Akers did a fine job a Rural Retreat.  He may do a great job at Fort.  GC may not have been the right fit for him.  Wrong place, wrong time perhaps?  Not sure, he sure did get the blame for all of GC's problems.  I guess we shall see if he was a big part of the blame, or just a small part of the overall problem.

• 2 months later...

Wait! What! This is so uncharacteristic for Reed, bailing on a team in the off season, he hasn't done that in like 8 months...LOL. Folks it's Darren Reed, he walks are around in a perpetual state of pissoffyness! Nothing he does would ever surprise me but I will give him credit he is well on his way to getting to coach every team in the Mountain District...if the rumor is true..and it  has to be..it's on the internet!  

11 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

Congratulations to Coach Reed on the promotion; hope he does great things at Battle! 

I’m actually very interested in this.  He was an unmitigated disaster at Central, but he put up gaudy numbers at Abingdon with Colobro holding his hand.  He’s inheriting a .500-ish team that could go any direction, and his results would solve the riddle once and for all.

1 minute ago, who? said:

Who out there would be better?

my thoughts exactly

experience as a head coach

had some success as well

people arent beating down the doors of the school to be head coaches either 

2 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Odd that Gate City hired a coach with 0 head coaching experience over Reed since he's such an excellent candidate. 

Very odd.  Gc never makes the wrong decision when it come to hiring head football coaches.