Rain already playing a factor in Region C

swva_havok_fan

12 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Could you imagine that , ghost of the Stonega Stallion, Tom Turner,and Jim Riggs still haunt that field , I would love it and I think most fans would love it, fuuuuuge that would be great and freak out a “Speed Team”like Graham . Screw it great ideal let’s do it

Graham fans, in general, know very little about those "ghosts"...and it isn't like Graham doesn't practice on grass field...

same type of DEEEEEEEP GRASS? When we played there several years ago(SULLIVAN NORTH) the site of the kids coming down those steps......it was like LAMBO FIELD in mid FEBUARY, I dont think it would happen but we really should play a game there at least once a year, the other players have never been on a field that hits back. Its the only place I could see sparks coming off of the cleats (in the days that the cleat bottoms had metal on them)Oh well just reliving my youth. 

20 minutes ago, GMan said:

Graham fans, in general, know very little about those "ghosts"...and it isn't like Graham doesn't practice on grass field...

2 hours ago, GMan said:

LOL grass field more like gravel field with a few pockets of grass holding on for dear life.

19 minutes ago, Counts said:

LOL grass field more like gravel field with a few pockets of grass holding on for dear life.

YEAH I was being a smart ass, but how I wish we would play there again, that night was very electric even for a former VIKING !!!!

13 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Ugh I don't want to go to Appalachia for a game. That place is a dump. 

Really I'll be seeing you on Friday night. That's just a pure dumbass comment. I was just going to talk about how Graham wouldn't be able to hand the rocks and some small pieces of glass lol, but you pal have shown your true colors and they bleed blue and red not orange we are suppose to be 1 and you calling my home town field a dump. Really says alot about how you feel. Just realize they're is alot of Appalachia folks that are some of the biggest bear fans down there and no we don't like playing everything in your beloved park. 

23 minutes ago, Union's hammer said:

Really I'll be seeing you on Friday night. That's just a pure dumbass comment. I was just going to talk about how Graham wouldn't be able to hand the rocks and some small pieces of glass lol, but you pal have shown your true colors and they bleed blue and red not orange we are suppose to be 1 and you calling my home town field a dump. Really says alot about how you feel. Just realize they're is alot of Appalachia folks that are some of the biggest bear fans down there and no we don't like playing everything in your beloved park. 

Riggs stadium has so much blood spilled on it...champions blood both from Bulldogs and like me Vikings. Who doesn’t admire coal camp kids in black cleats and that blue jersey whooping the hell out of schools much larger,let’s not forget about old Tom Turner smiling on the sideline with a big chew of I guess Redman tobacco in loving every second of it . Those of us who played on that field loved it, we knocked each other’s di$& in the dirt , bled , coughed up some dirt and did it again the next play, so I love that place as all real men do

On 11/7/2018 at 10:28 AM, Hhsdevils93 said:

Age of entitlement. Everyone gets a trophy and can’t get dirty. Good thing Appalachia is closed or they would cry every week to move to Bullitt or uva Wise. May as well play flag football now days. 

I don’t recall Appalachia fans whining about field conditions. I have seen Appalachia smack teams around in bad conditions. 

If somebody ever asked me why I love SWVA football, I'd simply have them read Tim Hayes' article on Appy Bulldogs and then they might just understand. 

FOOTBALL: Appalachia Program Built On Toughness

• Tim Hayes
  •  
    • Aug 13, 2009
    •  
      •  

FOOTBALL: Appalachia Program Built On Toughness

Appalachia lineman Toby Needham talks to a teammate on the sidelines during a 1996 playoff game with Rural Retreat

APPALACHIA, Va. – When recalling the glory days of the Appalachia High School football program, several images quickly come to mind.

There’s the plain blue helmets and no-frill jerseys.

There’s the muddy, spartan-like playing surface of Riggs Stadium.

There are legendary coaches Jim Riggs and Tom Turner. There’s the toughness. There’s the tenacity.

But perhaps the true essence of the institution known as Appalachia football was summed up by Turner himself.

“It’s tradition,” the late Turner told the Bristol Herald Courier in a 1992 interview. “And all the credit goes to the kids because they grow up thinking they’re supposed to do well. They believe in Appalachia football.

“We don’t have any doctors’ or lawyers’ kids that have cars to get around in or money to blow in town, so football is [the] biggest thing going here.”

Turner seemed to be at the center of all of Appalachia’s biggest wins. He starred as a player on Appalachia’s 1971 Virginia High School League Group A state championship team and then coached his alma mater to state titles in 1989, 1992, 1994, 1996 and 1997.

The small Wise County school was many times outnumbered, outsized and given little chance to succeed. However, the gritty Bulldogs always seemed to get it done.

“You can’t compare the heart of a Bulldog to anybody,” said Shane Gibson, the star running back on Appy’s 1989 VHSL Group A, Division 1 state title team. “Every down and every guy, it’s 100 percent.”

Turner stressed to his players that no opponent was unbeatable and no goal was unattainable. They listened and played with an unbridled passion for the sport.

“I just remember we were expected to win. Not necessarily by everybody else, but ourselves,” said Chris Mabe, a standout linebacker on the 1992 state championship squad. “When we came up, he instilled in us the attitude, you come from a smaller school, but you still should be able to beat anybody out there … He expected us to outplay whoever we were scheduled to play.”

The start

At 6-foot-3 and 225-pounds, Turner was an intimidating presence as a player at Appalachia in the early-1970s. It didn’t take him long to set the tone his senior season in 1971, racking up 11 tackles in the first quarter alone in a 40-14 win over Saltville in the season-opener.

His bruising style was a big reason why Appalachia rolled to a 13-0 record and captured the Lonesome Pine District and Region D titles. Under the direction of Riggs, the Bulldogs capped an unbeaten season with a 24-0 win over Madison in the state finals.

Turner led Appalachia to the state basketball title that winter and earned a football scholarship to Virginia Tech, where he shined as a defensive lineman.

He would officially become the head football coach at Appalachia in 1980. Nine years later, he would guide the team to his first state title as a coach in unlikely fashion.

The 1989 Bulldogs finished the regular season just 5-5, lost its final three regular-season games and squeaked into the playoffs.

“There was just at lot of pressure on us,” Gibson said. “The three previous years we had faced getting in the playoffs and there was a lot of pressure to get it done and win. We all had a lot of heart.”

Appalachia posted close wins over Twin Springs and J.I. Burton in the regional playoffs. In a 27-23 victory over heavily-favored Bath County in the state semifinals, Gibson displayed his toughness by

rushing for 285 yards and two touchdowns on 45 carries.

“I was so excited with the win,” Gibson said. “We were such underdogs. I was so happy we won, the thought of being tired never even crossed my mind.”

The next week Appalachia claimed the state crown with a 22-14 victory over Madison County.

Appalachia would claim another state title in 1992, this time with running back Kris Clark and quarterback Ken Sizemore leading the way on offense and Mabe wreaking havoc on defense.

However, the best was yet to come for the Bulldogs.

The T-and-T connection

Being the head coach’s son, Travis Turner had been groomed to be a star football player at Appalachia as long as he could remember.

“Appalachia football was a big part of my life, growing up and being around it 365 days a year,” Turner said.

Travis Clark also grew up dreaming of being a standout for the Bulldogs one day. He heard the stories and witnessed the postseason glory of past teams and hoped to add his own chapter to the success story.

“There was a lot pride to wear that blue and gold,” Clark said.

Together, Turner and Clark would combine to lead an explosive offense that won three titles in four years from 1994-1997.

Turner was impressive at quarterback, while Clark had blazing speed in the backfield. Players like Sam Sellers, Jamie Jessee, Travis Wells and many others would emerge as postseason heroes during that span.

“We had real good offensive lines,” Turner said. “We had great run blocking and pass protection.”

The 1994 team went 12-2 and posted a 72-7 beatdown of Middlesex in the state finals, scoring 10 touchdowns in the title-clinching victory.

As Turner and Clark continued to get better, the ’96 and ’97 squads put up impressive offensive numbers.

For Turner, the four years playing for his father are among his most treasured memories.

“It was a treat,” Travis Turner said. “It was something special when you look back on it now. You kind of relish those memories … He expected a lot of me and he expected a lot out of everybody. I think that’s what made us a good football team.”

The Bulldog legacy

Everybody that coached against him, coached for him or played for him seems to have a Tom Turner story. Mabe remembers one game in particular.

“We were playing Virginia High or somebody in August and our field is pretty crappy and gets dusty [in the warm weather]. They took a timeout and VHS wanted a water break,” Mabe said. “Coach Turner came out to the huddle and the referee said, ‘Are you going to give them water?’ He said, ‘Hell, I gave them water on Wednesday. I don’t think they want it.’ We all said, ‘Nah, we’re good.’ The ref couldn’t believe it, he was shocked. It was just little things like that.”

Turner was a master psychologist. He made it a habit of having the team bus roll into a stadium just before kickoff. Travis Turner remembers how his father and the team arrived at 1:27 p.m. – three

minutes before kickoff – before playing Surry County in the 1996 state finals.

“That was his trademark, showing up late for games,” Travis Turner said. “I really don’t know why he did it.”

Compiling a scouting report for the Bulldogs was also difficult.

“I’ve said this before, Tom was absolutely the best play-caller in crucial situations I’ve ever coached against,” Powell Valley coach Phil Robbins said. “You had no idea what he was going to call. Ninety-nine percent of the time what he called, it worked, because his kids believed in it. He had some great ballclubs.”

The 1997 season marked Appalachia’s last state title under Tom Turner. He retired following the 2005 season with a 205-107-1 career record and a plethora of coaching honors and achievements.

He died in 2006, but his legacy lives on in Appalachia.

“He took a group of kids that probably, in reality, shouldn’t have won as many games as they did, and he would have you convinced you could run through a brick wall,” Mabe said. “That’s what it was about … I just have a thousand memories.”

thayes@bristolnews.com|(276) 645-2570

58 minutes ago, trumpet1988 said:

I don’t recall Appalachia fans whining about field conditions. I have seen Appalachia smack teams around in bad conditions. 

Was meaning it from the opponent point of view. We didn’t care how the field was lol. 

3 hours ago, Union's hammer said:

I'm TERRIFIED 😕

I never went to Union High School, I graduated from Powell Valley. I'm sorry if it offends you that I feel like that place is a dump. A person doesn't need tea leaves or a crystal ball, I'm saying it out loud: I DON'T LIKE RIGGS FIELD. The field is (was, I haven't been up there in years) in terrible shape, never liked the parking, hate the layout, etc... I don't hate anyone from Appalachia (honestly I don't hate anyone, life is too short) nor did I say anything bad about anyone from there, I just don't like the field up there and I hope I dont have to go there for a game. If it takes gimmicks like a bad playing surface or anything like that to beat Team B, then maybe Team A isn't good enough. 

And if someone was supposed to be so pro-Union, why would they care about how someone feels about Riggs? That's not Unions home field. So Applachia people are allowed to keep their feelings for their home park, but us dumb, soft Big Stone people are just supposed to magically forget how they feel? 

For someone supposedly so gung-ho Union, you sure seem to reminisce about Riggs and now you don't like playing at the Park?!? I guess you aren't a true Union fan herp derp.

At least playing at the park, you never had to worry about getting a tetanus shot after the game. 

BigWinners, you do realize that Union is 2 towns so if they played all their games in Appalachia it should be just as good to you as the park I would watch them play in hell if need be. But people like you is what's wrong with this. Cry me river because someone mentioned playing up there would rather play there then wise. But I think big stone is a dump as well hate the layout. The park doesn't seat enough at least up in at that dump you hate you could sit on a hillside and have an excellent view. Plus you didn't have to fight for a dang seat. Thanks for showing your true Powell Valley colors. Plus Union as no home field the park is just a rental so why can't we play more up there. The field is in better shape then that 1 in middle of big stone. Unions soccer teams play all their home games up there 8th grade and jv football played up there this year.

It doesn't matter what school you go to the kids don't care about the stadiums history or what the field condition is like when they play, it can muddy, pristine grass or turf they don't care as long as they are out there competing. To them playing on Friday is all that matters not whether they are playing at the Stone Castle or Bullitt Park.

I didn't go to Appalachia HS, but you absolutely can't ignore the history or mystique of Riggs Stadium. The only way to dismiss it so easily is to truly not understand or appreciate the toughness, ruggedness or heart of a HS football player in the coalfields of SWVA.

An excerpt from one of my favorite articles on Appalachia football and coach Riggs:

He held practices on a gravel parking lot to enhance his team’s fearsome reputation. Virginia Tech recruiter Carl Ellis told Clintwood coach Ralph Cummins of visiting a Thursday practice at Appalachia in hopes of watching Tom Turner and Luke Marsengill run some drills and agilities. What he saw was a brutal, two-hour, live scrimmage.“They were just out there knocking each others brains out. And this was the day before a football game,” Cummins said in a 2006 interview. “I think they won a lot of football games because teams dreaded playing them.” 

2 hours ago, bristol8434 said:

It doesn't matter what school you go to the kids don't care about the stadiums history or what the field condition is like when they play, it can muddy, pristine grass or turf they don't care as long as they are out there competing. To them playing on Friday is all that matters not whether they are playing at the Stone Castle or Bullitt Park.

As a player the Stadiums history did not mean a thing......However field conditions are another matter all together.....Appy which I remember being something like playing on a hard packed strip job. We won both games both games played there in my playing days but there is not another field I can think of in which the field itself played a bigger part in the games