Richlands at Ridgeview

Hokie777

1 hour ago, Rhschamps04 said:

Just curious has Ridgeview been forced to pass this season? Has a team showed up and said you aren't running the ball and made them throw? I have heard a lot about the running game but not so much the pass i'm sure with the record they have they aren't one dimensional just wanted to hear from people that have seen them play.

We do throw from time to time, but not much.  We were 0-3 Friday night.  

1 hour ago, Jags52 said:

Richlands will do everything in their power to shut down the run and If they can I don’t think Ridgeview has the quarter back to win a playoff game. 

I would think that has been the plan for everybody the last 11 weeks. I have been hearing from some parents that the reason the game is moved to Saturday is so they can get an extra day of practice. Word is James Colley has been back on campus helping install the Tiger Air Raid offense. The plan is to pass at least 35 times this week. Colley's only request was to have some of the old Sandlick field brought up and put on the sideline. He wants to be able to draw up the plays in the sand with 5 leaves, 4 bottle caps, a penny, and  a cigarette bud like old times. 

37 minutes ago, DB-6130 said:

I would think that has been the plan for everybody the last 11 weeks. I have been hearing from some parents that the reason the game is moved to Saturday is so they can get an extra day of practice. Word is James Colley has been back on campus helping install the Tiger Air Raid offense. The plan is to pass at least 35 times this week. Colley's only request was to have some of the old Sandlick field brought up and put on the sideline. He wants to be able to draw up the plays in the sand with 5 leaves, 4 bottle caps, a penny, and  a cigarette bud like old times. 

Lmao.  A man could only wish.  

37 minutes ago, DB-6130 said:

This makes more sense.  I knew that they would bring Colley in for the pass attack.  I mean he was an offensive genius.  Good thing they have a Haysi boy as the QB I mean Colley's offense was probably bread into him.

7 hours ago, GMan said:

Ridgeview has one of those nice fields like Richlands and Mitchell Stadium have...ain't like your playing at Clintwood or Haysi...or BSG for that matter...

Surely that didn’t go over your head haha. 

19 hours ago, Jags52 said:

Richlands will do everything in their power to shut down the run and If they can I don’t think Ridgeview has the quarter back to win a playoff game. 

I am sure that Richlands will try to load the box but RV is not running out of a 2 TE full house so the only way to get the box loaded is to leave someone uncovered.

14 minutes ago, Hokie777 said:

Weather suppose to be around 50 degrees this Sat! Should be a great atmosphere! Looking forward to this game. I'm taking the Pack 28 -14 .. key being no turnovers and great pass defense!

Best Pass D could be the nasty wind that whips around up there LOL

5 hours ago, Counts said:

I am sure that Richlands will try to load the box but RV is not running out of a 2 TE full house so the only way to get the box loaded is to leave someone uncovered.

Even in 10 personal (1 back 4 receivers) Richlands can easily go cover 0 and press all 4 guys out wide and leave 7 in the box. That leaves 5 to block 7 which is tough to do. If Ridgeview goes 3x1 which they like to do a lot that brings the DB covering #3 closer to the box making him another run defender. Ridgeview also loves split backs which would in turn bring an 8th body in the box. If you run a spread offense but can’t hurt anyone with the pass it’s not hard to stop the run. With that being said they still have to tackle the big kid and catch the quick one.

13 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

Even in 10 personal (1 back 4 receivers) Richlands can easily go cover 0 and press all 4 guys out wide and leave 7 in the box. That leaves 5 to block 7 which is tough to do. If Ridgeview goes 3x1 which they like to do a lot that brings the DB covering #3 closer to the box making him another run defender. Ridgeview also loves split backs which would in turn bring an 8th body in the box. If you run a spread offense but can’t hurt anyone with the pass it’s not hard to stop the run. With that being said they still have to tackle the big kid and catch the quick one.

RV is without a doubt a better running than passing team but yes they can and have hurt team loading up the box.....add to that the coverage mentioned would leave Adkins in 1 on 1 coverage out of the backfield vs a LB which is a quick way to pad your passing stats.

All in all it should be a heck of a game. Both coaching staffs are solid game planners will be interesting what new wrinkles each team comes up with for the game

3 hours ago, Hokie777 said:

Weather suppose to be around 50 degrees this Sat! Should be a great atmosphere! Looking forward to this game. I'm taking the Pack 28 -14 .. key being no turnovers and great pass defense!

May not be since I've actually seen more people post that they won't be able to come now than will be able to come since they put the game on Saturday instead of Friday like they should've.

There will be a big crowd.  People who normally would have to work late on Friday and couldn't make the drive will now come and more people will come because the weather is supposed to be nicer.  We had a terrible crowd there last Friday and I know no one expected the game to be that good, but the weather was terrible and probably hurt.  

Also we keep talking about Ridgeview not having a very good passing game, but I think it is better or could be better than people know.  The OC pretty much refuses to throw the ball and we have very capable and actually very good receivers.  I believe even if we had D1 prospects at WR he still wouldn't throw the ball much.  Actually I'm not sure he would throw it to Randy Moss.  haha  

I've watched every game and I love this team, but it doesn't take even a football expert to understand that we is very predictable.  People sit in the stands and tell you what play is coming next.  If Richlands has the athletes to stop or even just match up with our players, it won't take much of scheme to stop them.  The way we beat people is we are just more talented or bigger than them.  When we play people that are as big and talented.  Well Abingdon is an example.  We haven't played anyone else who is.

17 hours ago, Counts said:

RV is without a doubt a better running than passing team but yes they can and have hurt team loading up the box.....add to that the coverage mentioned would leave Adkins in 1 on 1 coverage out of the backfield vs a LB which is a quick way to pad your passing stats.

All in all it should be a heck of a game. Both coaching staffs are solid game planners will be interesting what new wrinkles each team comes up with for the game

I’m sure ever lineback going to know where Adkins is at all times and I think Richlands has athletic enough backers to cover him. But I do agree with it should be a heck of a game and chess match between these 2 staffs.

26 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

I’m sure ever lineback going to know where Adkins is at all times and I think Richlands has athletic enough backers to cover him. But I do agree with it should be a heck of a game and chess match between these 2 staffs.

I agree defensively I think it will be a chess match by both teams, but offensively Ridgeview will run the same things over and over.  If you can line up and stop them you will beat them because they won't change and there will be no creativity.  

2 hours ago, HaloSports2 said:

I agree defensively I think it will be a chess match by both teams, but offensively Ridgeview will run the same things over and over.  If you can line up and stop them you will beat them because they won't change and there will be no creativity.  

Don't need to be too creative.  Run what works until they stop it.

34 minutes ago, Bigtom said:

Don't need to be too creative.  Run what works until they stop it.

Well obviously the point of the post was as it said, if you can line up and stop them you will beat them because there will be no creativity or no change.  

2 hours ago, Counts said:

Not sure about that....Adkins may have the best hands on the team Richlands may want to put there best cover man on him 

I am not denying his ability to catch but most high school offensives don’t throw the ball the the back unless it is a screen or a swing and you can catch it all day but if you have a backer in your back pocket it will not do you any good.

22 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

I am not denying his ability to catch but most high school offensives don’t throw the ball the the back unless it is a screen or a swing and you can catch it all day but if you have a backer in your back pocket it will not do you any good.

Key word in there is MOST

The  game changer  when UNION played RICHLANDS came when BAILEY hit JENKINS for that long touchdown.ADKINS is still growing and getting better, but SEXTON will be your star of the game ,if he is given a chance,good luck to both programs

Ridgeview does a great job of getting both backs, Adkins and Sexton, involved in the passing game. It's not just screens and swings either, both backs (at least against Union) were running routes like slants and out routes, angle routes to the middle and even more complex route trees. 

maybe they won't use those against Richlands, but they've shown they can. Sexton killed Union on third down out of the backfield or lined up in the slot.