Richlands at Ridgeview

Hokie777

RV play calling was pretty bad on both sides of the ball. Adkins got on the edge his prob 3Rd carey of the game and it went for 6 they never attempted to get him back outside till late in the 3rd or 4th Quater and once again he hit another home run it wasn't rocket science. Sexton didnt get enough touches he touched the ball maybe a total of 12 times. When they did try to get him the ball they were trying to be to pretty like on the backwards pass for a fumble. They killed themselves turning the ball over in the red zone twice as well. It  really Hurt losing Sproles and Hensley especially  on the Defensive  side.  They made no type of adjustments on D and looked like they were in cover 0 a lot and  were still getting ran on. They weren't playing with leverage and there was no one setting the edge to turn the play back into help. When it's comes Playoff Time records go out the window and it's who shows up and Executes Best on that given day. 

1 hour ago, Bigtom said:

OK before you get mad I am NOT from Ridgeview but was at the game.  Richlands D DID NOT and Could not stop Ridgeviews run.  Ridgeview ran all over Richlands.  Ridgeview just went away from the run for some unknown reason.  I do agree that the QB was not good enough to be throwing the ball as much as they did yesterday.  Ridgeview should have won by 2 td's but shot themselves in the foot twice inside the 10 with fumbles.  Adkins had over 200 yds on Richlands alone so....And who knows what Sexton would have had if they feed him the ball more.  But hats off to both programs on a great year.

He had 210 on 26 carrries. 

He broke a 70 and 51 pair of runs. 

Thats 121 of those 210 on two runs. 

If you take away those efforts, he had 89 yards on 24 carries. That’s 3.7 YPC. 

You obviously can’t take those two big ones away, but I think outside of those two, Richlands did a fantastic job of stopping him the rest of the game. 

1 hour ago, Bigtom said:

OK before you get mad I am NOT from Ridgeview but was at the game.  Richlands D DID NOT and Could not stop Ridgeviews run.  Ridgeview ran all over Richlands.  Ridgeview just went away from the run for some unknown reason.  I do agree that the QB was not good enough to be throwing the ball as much as they did yesterday.  Ridgeview should have won by 2 td's but shot themselves in the foot twice inside the 10 with fumbles.  Adkins had over 200 yds on Richlands alone so....And who knows what Sexton would have had if they feed him the ball more.  But hats off to both programs on a great year.

I’m not on here to get mad brother. I unfortunately could not make the game and have no ties to either school I just know Richlands had to do enough to slow them down at least to the point where they felt like they needed to put the ball in air. Richlands is a very well coached team and may not have the athletes other schools do but have good smart football players and in the playoffs that wins. If Ridgeview was able to run the ball like that they should have stayed on the ground. Sounds like Richlands was able to move the ball better than Ridgeview but you are right hats off to both teams on great season.

1 hour ago, Bigtom said:

Minus a few big runs Richlands didn’t exactly shut down the RV offense, they just made it ineffective. Ridgeview has playmakers that they refuse to try to get the ball. That’s what kills people and why, now that my son has played his last game there I will VERY seldom ever go back. Our QB isn’t great, but we played several games where we threw less than 5 passes. Then when that kid needs to step up it’s been a month since he’s been part of the offense how good is he gonna be? It’s not a matter of airing it out all the time, it’s the need to run more than the same 4 or 5 plays 95% of the year. 

20 minutes ago, big ugly vol said:

Minus a few big runs Richlands didn’t exactly shut down the RV offense, they just made it ineffective. Ridgeview has playmakers that they refuse to try to get the ball. That’s what kills people and why, now that my son has played his last game there I will VERY seldom ever go back. Our QB isn’t great, but we played several games where we threw less than 5 passes. Then when that kid needs to step up it’s been a month since he’s been part of the offense how good is he gonna be? It’s not a matter of airing it out all the time, it’s the need to run more than the same 4 or 5 plays 95% of the year. 

100% agree.  You cant be expected to use weapons you haven't used in forever.  The Sexton things baffles me.  Ridgeview was giving a blessing with him why not use him?  Like I said on a diff post.  I am a Central guy but what I have seen from Ridgeview and every other team in the district, Ridgeview has the best line and backfield in the district and some pretty good recievers.  Why not utilize what you have.  Richlands didn't stop them they stopped themselves by less than great play calling on both sides.  took too long to adjust to a 4 and 5 man front and on offense why not use what got you there? 

1 hour ago, Jags52 said:

I’m not on here to get mad brother. I unfortunately could not make the game and have no ties to either school I just know Richlands had to do enough to slow them down at least to the point where they felt like they needed to put the ball in air. Richlands is a very well coached team and may not have the athletes other schools do but have good smart football players and in the playoffs that wins. If Ridgeview was able to run the ball like that they should have stayed on the ground. Sounds like Richlands was able to move the ball better than Ridgeview but you are right hats off to both teams on great season.

Ridgeview ran a 3 man front to try to stop the pass but it backfired on them and Richlands was able to get the outside, inside, and wherever they wanted LOL.  Richlands QB is very physical and a good player.  Ridgeview got outcoached.  Cant blame the kids on getting outplayed because they did what the coaches drew up.  They were at a disadvantage all day due to play calling.  When they did try to pass it was very ugly due to the qb and recievers are NEVER used.  But hey we can say what if all day but if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his but every time he hops.  Congrats to Richlands on a great year and wish nothing but the best for them.  Maybe we can compete in the next year or so at Central if we can keep everyone and talk some into coming out.

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

He had 210 on 26 carrries. 

He broke a 70 and 51 pair of runs. 

Thats 121 of those 210 on two runs. 

If you take away those efforts, he had 89 yards on 24 carries. That’s 3.7 YPC. 

You obviously can’t take those two big ones away, but I think outside of those two, Richlands did a fantastic job of stopping him the rest of the game. 

My point is, What if Ridgeview used Sexton more between the lines more than 6 carries?  Ridgeview stopped themselves by playcalling or lack of LOL.  Just because he broke 2 long runs those were plays that were called.  Taking nothing away from Richlands as they did excactly what they needed to do to win, just stating they did not stop Ridgeviews run game Ridgview stopped Ridgeviews run game.   IMO they did not utilize the QB and recievers enough this year.  Good Luck to Richlands and hope you all can beat The Gmen.

8 hours ago, #1BLUESFAN said:

Does Ridgeview have a lot returning next year other than Adkins...he he has sum help next couple years Ridgeview will be hard to beat.

If the rumors of what I were told are true then Adkins isn't even returning next year and Ridgeview will be back to mediocrity. 

1 minute ago, Weatherman said:

I've not seen either team play this year, just followed scores and stuff on here.

How big of an upset was this??

Pretty sizable. RV was top seed in Region D, 9-1, and defeated Union by two TDs who beat Richlands by two TDs at Richlands.

But Richlands was playing great to end the year and RV seemed to peak earlier and really had issues with playcalling.

I would have had Ridgeview as a 10-point favorite, maybe that's just me, but it's still a pretty big upset, the top seed losing at home to the 5-seed.

That was just an example of playoff football.  Ridgeview didn't play their best game, and Richlands did what they had to do to win.  Hats off to both teams and the sportsmanship they displayed on the field.  Didn't get tot go to the game, had to listen, but it came down to turnovers and Ridgeviews problems with tackling the running back and quarterback at crucial times.  Richlands has been in these situations and Mance has had his share of heartbreak games for calling the wrong plays at the wrong time.  I think that's what happened in this game with Ridgeview, and the playoff experience helped Richlands coaching staff.  Thanks to all you Ridgeview guys for being on this board and showing the respect.  Now you're all invited to Mitchel Stadium next Saturday to cheer for the team that won the game. Hope to see you there.

58 minutes ago, Blue 72 said:

That was just an example of playoff football.  Ridgeview didn't play their best game, and Richlands did what they had to do to win.  Hats off to both teams and the sportsmanship they displayed on the field.  Didn't get tot go to the game, had to listen, but it came down to turnovers and Ridgeviews problems with tackling the running back and quarterback at crucial times.  Richlands has been in these situations and Mance has had his share of heartbreak games for calling the wrong plays at the wrong time.  I think that's what happened in this game with Ridgeview, and the playoff experience helped Richlands coaching staff.  Thanks to all you Ridgeview guys for being on this board and showing the respect.  Now you're all invited to Mitchel Stadium next Saturday to cheer for the team that won the game. Hope to see you there.

Any Ridgeview fans showing up Saturday should cheer for the home team 😂 Seriously, great season Ridgeview and good luck to Blues & G-Men.