Jump to content
Bluefield researcher

Best 2 players are on the same team?

Recommended Posts

 
 
23 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

We all know that Cam Allen of Graham is the best player in this coverage area. But after watching the game today I honestly believe Devin Lester is the 2nd best player in the coverage area.

Yep. They both have been able to work together on the field and not worry about who has the better stats. Both are great kids and great athletes. Be nice to see Lester go to a good school. He makes the grades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

Agree, they both work well together and made some  exciting things happen today against VA High. Even without Cam next year, things still look good for GMen with Lester there. He's very impressive. Cam is well, Cam. Both are great athletes! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, Bluefield researcher said:

We all know that Cam Allen of Graham is the best player in this coverage area. But after watching the game today I honestly believe Devin Lester is the 2nd best player in the coverage area.

Not so sure I can agree sir. Your research is second to none. But we may want to table the convo until after next week. Ridgeview has a solid D1 prospect of their own. Very good chance y’all meet them if ya make it out of the Park. Last years Union game is the only time I’ve seen these two young men from Graham play. And they were non factors. And I say that, with respect, due to a vary solid Union defense that supposedly didn’t match up speed wise to that Graham team. Can Allen has next level talent and I look forward to seeing his progress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
3 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

We all know that Cam Allen of Graham is the best player in this coverage area. But after watching the game today I honestly believe Devin Lester is the 2nd best player in the coverage area.

Against Marion, Devin Lester was the "stud in the mud".  He scored 3 TDs three different ways (7 yard run, 53 yard reception, 101 yard interception). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
15 hours ago, Hhsdevils93 said:

Not so sure I can agree sir. Your research is second to none. But we may want to table the convo until after next week. Ridgeview has a solid D1 prospect of their own. Very good chance y’all meet them if ya make it out of the Park. Last years Union game is the only time I’ve seen these two young men from Graham play. And they were non factors. And I say that, with respect, due to a vary solid Union defense that supposedly didn’t match up speed wise to that Graham team. Can Allen has next level talent and I look forward to seeing his progress. 

It is ok to disagree. Forums are for civilized discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 11/10/2018 at 7:49 PM, Hhsdevils93 said:

Not so sure I can agree sir. Your research is second to none. But we may want to table the convo until after next week. Ridgeview has a solid D1 prospect of their own. Very good chance y’all meet them if ya make it out of the Park. Last years Union game is the only time I’ve seen these two young men from Graham play. And they were non factors. And I say that, with respect, due to a vary solid Union defense that supposedly didn’t match up speed wise to that Graham team. Can Allen has next level talent and I look forward to seeing his progress. 

If that happens that game will feature the best athletes that SWVA has seen on the same field in while. Lester is a pure football that makes plays where ever he is on the field. Allen is a D1 talent on defense that throws the ball some. The two headed monster that ridgeview has in the backfield is also good I still give the nod to graham on this one mostly because of what those 2 guys are able to do on both sides of the ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
20 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

If that happens that game will feature the best athletes that SWVA has seen on the same field in while. Lester is a pure football that makes plays where ever he is on the field. Allen is a D1 talent on defense that throws the ball some. The two headed monster that ridgeview has in the backfield is also good I still give the nod to graham on this one mostly because of what those 2 guys are able to do on both sides of the ball. 

Still think last years Union/graham game had more talent than a Ridgeview/graham matchup would. Not even close if we are being real. Graham lost the Cooke speedster. Union lost Mitchell, Owens, Stidham and Qualls just to name a few. All had multiple offers. Not on the level of VT or Michigan St (isn’t that where Cooke landed?). My point is, this area, SwVA has seen a nice bit of talent in bulk recently. Throw in mcclung from gate city to the mix just to sweeten the pot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, Hhsdevils93 said:

Still think last years Union/graham game had more talent than a Ridgeview/graham matchup would. Not even close if we are being real. Graham lost the Cooke speedster. Union lost Mitchell, Owens, Stidham and Qualls just to name a few. All had multiple offers. Not on the level of VT or Michigan St (isn’t that where Cooke landed?). My point is, this area, SwVA has seen a nice bit of talent in bulk recently. Throw in mcclung from gate city to the mix just to sweeten the pot. 

That is true I forgot about how loaded Union was last year and Cooke was a talent (he might have ended up at Marshall). But Graham’s entire secondary could probably play on Saturday not all d1 but should at least get some looks and according to the paper the Atkins kid has everyone drooling over him and I’m sure his exposure has helped some of his talented teammates out this season. Graham also didn’t have their stud running back that got hurt early in the season last year who is back for this match up if it happens.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Sometimes there are really, really good players that will play on Saturdays, on average to below average high school teams.

Take Dalton Mullins from Wise, last year. Spent his senior year on a team that struggled, he was injured, then came back and had a good showing at the VHSCA All-Star game, and is now at Carson-Newman(I think). 

Some excellent football players become afterthoughts in our region when they don’t play for one of the powerhouse programs.

 

EDIT: I’ve never been a huge fan of debating who the “Best Football Player” in an area is. Best at a position or best athlete seems like a better discussion. Just because someone is a great RB, doesn’t mean that they would be any good as a LT. 

No disrespect to the OP, just my two cents.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

They have 4 RB's.  Two of which did not play last season. Booker(Transfer back from Richlands) and Chinault (Sat out last season).  Reed was lost to injury early in the season last year and I believe Lester was hurt towards the end of the season last year.

All 4 are very good backs and all 4 are healthy.  

Replying to Jags about the runningback being back.  Sorry, didn't quote your message.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
3 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

They have 4 RB's.  Two of which did not play last season. Booker(Transfer back from Richlands) and Chinault (Sat out last season).  Reed was lost to injury early in the season last year and I believe Lester was hurt towards the end of the season last year.

All 4 are very good backs and all 4 are healthy.  

Replying to Jags about the runningback being back.  Sorry, didn't quote your message.

 

Graham has had a stable of athletes the last few years for sure RB, DB, WR, and QB but I knew some of them there hurt or didn’t play last year that’s all I was saying

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

IMO Graham just doesn't have the same culture.  They are in need of the big W to go to that next level.  I think they are capable this year but they will need to take that step.  I feel as though the Union's Richlands' and Ridgeview's are in the Gmens heads a little.  Just IMO of course!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
40 minutes ago, SWVA_HOKIE said:

IMO Graham just doesn't have the same culture.  They are in need of the big W to go to that next level.  I think they are capable this year but they will need to take that step.  I feel as though the Union's Richlands' and Ridgeview's are in the Gmens heads a little.  Just IMO of course!

 

I could understand why you would say union but they just beat Richlands 45-0 a few weeks ago and they’ve never played Ridgeview?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

 

11 minutes ago, LPD 1967 said:

Once again from Small School USA...for your consideration Mikey Culbertson (rb/mlb) and Houston Thacker (qb/db) from JI Burton.

Both First Team All Conference.

Both should be All Regional.

Both should be All State.

Go Black Raiders. 

If we considered 1A only, I think a strong argument could also be made for Chilhowie's Zack Cale (QB, DB) and Greg Sanchez (RB, DB).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Liam..agree 100% as I was fortunate to watch the Warriors play the Raiders toooo many times!

Zach and Cale deserve maximum honors and should do well on the next level.

My hope is a rematch in two weeks providing all the stars align at Emory with the rugged Rebels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
17 hours ago, LPD 1967 said:

Once again from Small School USA...for your consideration Mikey Culbertson (rb/mlb) and Houston Thacker (qb/db) from JI Burton.

Both First Team All Conference.

Both should be All Regional.

Both should be All State.

Go Black Raiders. 

I'm just impressed someone other than myself still calls them the Black Raiders.  When I was in high school, that's what they were called, and I was at the Union and Burton game last year in Norton and tweeted that I was there watching the JI Burton Black Raiders vs. Union Bears and got blasted for it by some Norton folks.  I never even realized the Black had been dropped from the name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I'm just impressed someone other than myself still calls them the Black Raiders.  When I was in high school, that's what they were called, and I was at the Union and Burton game last year in Norton and tweeted that I was there watching the JI Burton Black Raiders vs. Union Bears and got blasted for it by some Norton folks.  I never even realized the Black had been dropped from the name.

The sad, PC world we live in. Can’t even call a school by their mascot name due to a color 😡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
59 minutes ago, Hhsdevils93 said:

The sad, PC world we live in. Can’t even call a school by their mascot name due to a color 😡

Because with Burton usually having a sizable minority enrollment, using the term Black Raiders could be taken as being racially motivated. There's no way I would use the term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
44 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Because with Burton usually having a sizable minority enrollment, using the term Black Raiders could be taken as being racially motivated. There's no way I would use the term.

My point exactly. Because they have a higher number of black players, people are hesitant to call them by the given name of black raiders. It’s total bs. Not saying you are   Just the situation of society in general. Everyone is so worried about being racist/not racist. Had they been named the black raiders due to their minority enrollment, then yes, we should abstain from using it.  I’ll be honest, I call them raiders only because I don’t want to type black all the time lol. Lazy. Not worried about racist themes. Embrace the history of it has no racial undertones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...