I been working on the chain...gaaaang...

GMan

A lot of these "bad calls" are just part of the human element of the game.  High school doesn't have replay so you aren't going to get the correct call 100% of the time.  The article is obviously biased when it comes to the team that wasn't getting the good end of the calls but it was nice that he mentioned it wasn't the only reason that team lost the game.  The chain guys, however, shouldn't be allowed on the field anymore.  You don't want guys who may not have anything to do with a program destroying all credibility that it may have.

Why were the chains on the home side is my first question? Unless it's similar to a Hurley setup where they are the team facing the press box, that should never be an issue. That matter is trivial compared to the matter that the HL (maybe LJ in this case) did not do a great job in their pregame with the chain crew. You HAVE to keep your eyes on them and most of the time in the back of your head because it is frowned upon to look back. A lot of them do amazing jobs for nothing more than a hot dog and bottle of water at half time, if they even get that. This isn't on the line judge(as the heavily biased article states) as much as the chain crew.  The chain crew is an essential part of the game, and I remind everyone I have the pleasure of working with that by accepting that position, they forfeit all bias and are under the direction of the head linesman and referee. This seems like it wasn't communicated, and if it was, it was not communicated strongly enough.

1instripes, I'll agree that probably shouldn't be a line of commentary made by an observer, however, I do not find it shocking. I've learned in my relatively short officiating life span that there are plenty of "cut throat" officials everywhere who never miss a chance to throw their brother under the bus to keep the heat off of their neck.

7 minutes ago, chipinbogey said:

Why were the chains on the home side is my first question? Unless it's similar to a Hurley setup where they are the team facing the press box, that should never be an issue. That matter is trivial compared to the matter that the HL (maybe LJ in this case) did not do a great job in their pregame with the chain crew. You HAVE to keep your eyes on them and most of the time in the back of your head because it is frowned upon to look back. A lot of them do amazing jobs for nothing more than a hot dog and bottle of water at half time, if they even get that. This isn't on the line judge(as the heavily biased article states) as much as the chain crew.  The chain crew is an essential part of the game, and I remind everyone I have the pleasure of working with that by accepting that position, they forfeit all bias and are under the direction of the head linesman and referee. This seems like it wasn't communicated, and if it was, it was not communicated strongly enough.

1instripes, I'll agree that probably shouldn't be a line of commentary made by an observer, however, I do not find it shocking. I've learned in my relatively short officiating life span that there are plenty of "cut throat" officials everywhere who never miss a chance to throw their brother under the bus to keep the heat off of their neck.

Press box and stands are all on one side of the field....home team chose to be on opposite side of press box where the chains are located.  Chains  are in the correct place, home team, well, that's questionable...

These guys blatantly moved the chains/line to gain down the field as the play was happening.  Watch the video, the players and coaches all saw this happening...one of the players even turns his back to it surely because he knows what is happening.

55 minutes ago, GMan said:

Press box and stands are all on one side of the field....home team chose to be on opposite side of press box where the chains are located.  Chains  are in the correct place, home team, well, that's questionable...

These guys blatantly moved the chains/line to gain down the field as the play was happening.  Watch the video, the players and coaches all saw this happening...one of the players even turns his back to it surely because he knows what is happening.

Ok, if it benefits that particular bench for them to be adjusted, who on that sideline is going to say any different? The home team can choose whichever bench they prefer, there is no rule that dictates which side a team's bench must be on, so it isn't really all that questionable, although our eyes and brains have trained to be dark jerseys with backs to the press box.

I saw it on Twitter over the weekend, so I could definitely see that they moved. What I couldn't see is the clip man, which would take some real dedication and sneakiness to make that move that quickly.

4 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Has there been any repercussions for these cheaters? 

No, and according to the TSSAA Executive Director, nothing inappropriate occurred. Officials knew what was going on and felt the spot was correct. Interview below. Skip to 31:00 for the question about the chains.

https://soundcloud.com/5starpreps/episode-25-tssaa-executive