M7 Boys Basketball

GoBearsGo

I guess I am officially over football season. Let’s talk M7 boys basketball. Everyone knows GC will be the lead dog but what’s everybody else looking like? Union should be experienced and solid across the board. I’m anxious to see how Slagle performs coming back from injury last season. Good team size but depth may be an issue. Garrison and Falin both played well last season and should be big factors. Couple of young guys in Rasnick and Jones that can really play too. Not sure they compete with GC but 2nd in the district wouldn’t surprise me. 

Prior to McAmis getting hurt I had Central pegged as the second best team. I think it’s wide open now between Central, Union and Abingdon. 

Who replaves 20+ points and handles the ball for Central?

Is Slagle back to form and does Union have enough depth?

Can Abingdon play to its potential? 

Battle should be scrappy, Lee will love and die (mostly) by the 3 and Ridgeview will spend all winter trying to figure out how they didn’t win a regional football title. 

I’m right with you on Central. Without McAmis I could see them dropping to 4 possibly. Hated that for the kid, he really can play. I’m not sure what Abingdon has returning but they were competive with Union and Central both last season. Slagle will for sure be a big part of Union’s success. He’s a knock down shooter that the Bears need, the injury could possibly affect the post game but only time will tell. Depth could come into play, the starting 5 plus 1-2 will be about it but I guess that holds true for most teams. 

23 hours ago, LongTimeSWVAFan said:

Battle should be scrappy, Lee will love and die (mostly) by the 3 and Ridgeview will spend all winter trying to figure out how they didn’t win a regional football title. 

Most of us Ridgeview folks knew that we weren't getting by Graham regardless of if we beat Richlands or not.

Interested to see how the new coach does.  Everyone in the fan base seems excited and thinks he'll do a great job.  Time will tell.  I'd like to see us finish no worse than 5th.  That would be a realistic goal I believe.

Gate City should win the M7 again since they do have some key players back from last season. I'm not sure if they will dominate the way they did last season but should still win. God knows how the rest of the district stacks up now with Wise-Central's issues. I'd say Union will be potential runner-ups with Abingdon & John Battle being in the mix as well.

Obviously GC is the overwhelming favorite... I know Abingdon graduated their 2 best players/scorers. I haven't really heard much about them this Fall though... Wise Central is the "Great Unknown" after losing such a skilled player & leader... Union should definitely be good enough to contend for 2nd; especially with the Slagle kid back. I really enjoyed the few times I got to see him play... Battle should be better this year. They return their best scorers/ballhandlers. But they did graduate a key post player & a contributing "athlete". I think they will definitely be good enough for 2nd as well.......... GC & Union both have a great non-conference schedule as usual... Abingdon & Wise Central seem to have pretty much the same schedules... Battle has replaced the 2 games vs Holston with games against Sullivan South & Sullivan East. This should help them in Conference play... Lee did show some flashes last season. I wouldn't be surprised if they upset a couple of these teams. I don't think they lost much from last year... And I honestly haven't heard anything about Ridgeview up to this point. I do remember them shooting a bunch of 3's last year. So maybe they have improved on that & can make it even tighter....... 2-7 should definitely be competitive & fun to watch this season.

Right now it seems to be a shootout for 2nd.  Until someone proves they can play with GC they stand alone.  Union will be tough after getting the kid back who was injured last year.  Abingdon had 2 big losses to graduation and will be young this year but they have a lot of athletes on the team that should improve and compete as the season goes along.  Battle will have a couple guards to contend with and they will have some high output games.  As Duke said, Lee could upset a team or 2 this season but I don't see them putting it together for an entire season.  Wise lost Mullins to graduation and now McCamis so I don't see them being a factor but who knows who may step up for them.  Ridgeview may be a sleeper team but only time will tell.  They have some athletic kids but not sure if they have conventional basketball talent. 

10 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

How did Abingdon lose to Northwood!!!???

Northwood still has the Carter kid from last year. He can score. They also picked up Tyler Strong from Virginia High. I guess his family must've moved to the Saltville area. He's a tall kid who looked very good last year for the Bearcats.

Carter had 21 and Strong had 20.  It was a tough game throughout.  Abingdon led most of the way but lost Hungate before halftime to injury.  He had 20 pts at that point.  Northwood played very physical and hit big shots when needed.  Abingdon didn't shoot well from the perimeter and didn't hit their free throws allowing Northwood to get the lead late.  In my opinion, if Abingdon had shot 30%+ from the arc and 75% from free throw line in this game they win by double digits. 

If Northwood can control a couple kid's attitudes and stop their parents from trying to control the coach they can do big things this season.  But, knowing the people involved, I would not be surprised to see this team implode by mid season.

Abingdon will need their seniors to play better and 1-2 more kids to step up and contribute for them to compete in the top half of the M7.

You haven't seen them.  I think Northwood could beat Wise, Lee, and Ridgeview in M7 when they are hitting their shots.  Northwood will play Battle Friday and I think that game will hinge on the ability of Battle's interior size to be able to push Northwood primarily to 15'+ shots and stop offensive rebounds. 

17 minutes ago, F@lcon said:

Carter had 21 and Strong had 20.  It was a tough game throughout.  Abingdon led most of the way but lost Hungate before halftime to injury.  He had 20 pts at that point.  Northwood played very physical and hit big shots when needed.  Abingdon didn't shoot well from the perimeter and didn't hit their free throws allowing Northwood to get the lead late.  In my opinion, if Abingdon had shot 30%+ from the arc and 75% from free throw line in this game they win by double digits. 

If Northwood can control a couple kid's attitudes and stop their parents from trying to control the coach they can do big things this season.  But, knowing the people involved, I would not be surprised to see this team implode by mid season.

Abingdon will need their seniors to play better and 1-2 more kids to step up and contribute for them to compete in the top half of the M7.

Is Randy Vaughn still the coach at Northwood?  I wouldn't want to mess with that dude.  He's one guy I wouldn't pick a fight with.

He is a big dude, not sure about his name.  I feel sorry for him.  On one hand you have influential parents of your best player and on the other hand you have a talented kid with a mother who has a history of raising h#ll and/or transferring every time her kid don't get to be the star.  

3 hours ago, F@lcon said:

He is a big dude, not sure about his name.  I feel sorry for him.  On one hand you have influential parents of your best player and on the other hand you have a talented kid with a mother who has a history of raising h#ll and/or transferring every time her kid don't get to be the star.  

Yeah, that's Randy.  He works at the FCDC.  He's a team leader now but before i'm sure he was loading pallets and doing the hard labor.  Not a guy I would want to piss off, glad to call him a friend.

Battle Boys just beat Northwood 71-41. Tough defense by the Trojans.... The Refs kinda let it get out of hand in the last 4 minutes though. Northwood started getting really chippy & committed some extremely hard fouls. The Refs did nothing to calm those kids down.