9/20 - RYE COVE - HOME

9/27 - PINEVILLE, KY. - AWAY

10/4 - HARLAN, KY. - HOME

10/11 - HANCOCK COUNTY, TN. - HOME

10/18 - TWIN VALLEY - AWAY

10/25 - EASTSIDE - AWAY

11/1 - TWIN SPRINGS - HOME

11/8 - J.I. BURTON - HOME

UVAObserver have fun bashing a Single A schools schedule. 

I truly wouldn’t have said anything if I hadn’t been goaded into it.  But since you poked the bear...

Considering Graham’s 2nd string would go 9-1 at worst against those cupcakes, yes, I’ll continue to mock Thomas Walker for ducking teams like Patrick Henry, Holston, Grundy, Hurley, Honaker, Chilhowie, George Wythe, Rural Retreat, Grayson, Galax, and all the other VA 1A teams that put together halfway decent schedules without having to schedule terrible KY and TN teams for chances at wins.  I get that some of this is related to Thomas Walker’s unique geography, but there are decent teams in the tri-state area that you duck as well.  It shows when you barely miss a home playoff game, even with a gaudy record, and get jackhammered by a “good-not-great” Grundy team.

Y’all would probably duck Burton, too, if your district didn’t require that you play them.

49 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Considering Graham’s 2nd string would go 9-1 at worst against those cupcakes, yes, I’ll continue to mock Thomas Walker for ducking teams like Patrick Henry, Grundy, Hurley, Honaker, Chilhowie, George Wythe, Grayson, Galax, and all the other VA 1A teams that put together halfway decent schedules without having to schedule terrible KY and TN teams for chances at wins.  I get that some of this is related to Thomas Walker’s unique geography, but there are decent teams in the tri-state area that you duck as well.  It shows when you barely miss a home playoff game, even with a gaudy record, and get jackhammered by a good-not-great Grundy team.

Y’all would probably duck Burton, too, if your district didn’t require that you play them.

Before slamming a teams schedule can I a few questions?

Were you there when the schedule was being made?

Did you notice Harlan is on a different week then it has been the last several years? Odd

Did you notice the home and away series that are needed and the fact everyone wants us to travel?

And do you have contacts with the football administrations of those teams listed stating that we ducked any of these teams, specifically Patrick Henry, Hurley, Honaker or any team with in a 4 hour radius of a bus ride? Refer to Harlan. 

I'll let you know a little info to fuel you arguement, the ONLY team we have repeatedly "ducked" is Union, granted we play them in several scrimmages and middle school.

But hey we duck teams cause we suck, not the fact that we are having awesome gates for a single a program. Say we play Hurley honaker and Patrick. The gap in one game will be 2x as much those 3 games combined in a single gate.

Is it a difficult schedule, not for Graham or any other AA school, so I am sure the defending AA state champions JV would go 9-1. What single A schedule is oh so tough that it deserves praise? Patrick Henry played a Cumberland schedule last season, but not a word about that. Grundy played West Va and Ky. Schools becuase they are close, yet not a word. 

I know many schools in Virginia were contacted including PH, Holston, Hurley, Honaker and Union but dates didn’t work or schedules were full. 

All the teams you mentioned are hours away, which means no revenue for TW, and at a small school no revenue equals no team. 

And just to set the record straight TW went to Grundy in the playoffs, so they had the 4 hour trip. I figured a football guru like yourself would know the little details.

Why exactly is a Graham fan worrying about little school who they will never have anything to do with anyway? You used to do the same to Hurley when they had a good season. 

Again, it should serve as a reminder that I was the one called out, not the other way around.  Don’t get your Pioneer Panties in a bunch because you rattle the big dog’s cage and you don’t like what the big dog has to say.

Then again, if Thomas Walker scheduled halfway decent teams, we wouldn’t be having this discussion (and Thomas Walker might have a few more playoff wins).

33 minutes ago, huh said:

Is it a difficult schedule, not for Graham or any other AA school, so I am sure the defending AA state champions JV would go 9-1. What single A schedule is oh so tough that it deserves praise? Patrick Henry played a Cumberland schedule last season, but not a word about that. Grundy played West Va and Ky. Schools becuase they are close, yet not a word. 

I know many schools in Virginia were contacted including PH, Holston, Hurley, Honaker and Union but dates didn’t work or schedules were full. 

All the teams you mentioned are hours away, which means no revenue for TW, and at a small school no revenue equals no team. 

And just to set the record straight TW went to Grundy in the playoffs, so they had the 4 hour trip. I figured a football guru like yourself would know the little details.

Why exactly is a Graham fan worrying about little school who they will never have anything to do with anyway? You used to do the same to Hurley when they had a good season. 

I did the same to Hurley because Hurley fans thought their team would shut out the ‘85 Bears because they went 10-0 against a schedule that wasn’t that much stronger (but was actually stronger, believe it or not) than Thomas Walker’s.  I even predicted that the moment they found themselves in a tight game against a team from farther east, they’d implode.  In fact, I used Parry McCluer as an example in 2016, and that’s precisely the team that beat them.  You know what Hurley did?  They beefed up their schedule the following season.  They had a worse record; made it just as far as the 10-0 season; but ran into the Chilhowie buzzsaw.  Them’s the breaks.  But I gained some respect for Hurley because they acknowledged that their schedule was soft for a team that wanted to compete, and they did something about it.  Credit where credit’s due.

In comparison, Thomas Walker trots out the same cakewalk in 2019 as 2018.    

Your points aren’t entirely wasted.  I understand that Thomas Walker has some unique challenges from multiple different angles: geography, administration, school board, you name it.  That being said, that schedule’s not defensible for a team that wants to be taken seriously, and it strikes a deep nerve for some bizarre reason among your faithful for anyone to dare criticize it.  There are teams out there if you look for them.  I’m positive a 2A school desperate for points (Lebanon, Tazewell, Gate City, etc.) would be tickled to have the chance to play a 7-win 1A team that isn’t remotely as good as the record indicates.  Picking up a few points is the difference in a playoff berth and offseason for some of those guys, and the difference in a home game and a 4-hour bus ride for Thomas Walker.

It begs the question: what do your fans want Thomas Walker to be seen as?  Do you want to be known as a competitor, or do you want to be known as a team that gets fat on cupcakes and has 1st round exits year after year?  If it’s the latter, then I’m beating a dead horse, because that’s what Thomas Walker is right now.  If so, I’ll cease any additional discussion on Thomas Walker.  If it’s the former, do something about it.

Best of luck to Thomas Walker in 2019.  They won’t need it until November, but I wish them a successful season nonetheless.

I haven't argued it isn't a weaker single A schedule. I understand it leaves a lot to be desired from a standpoint of competition. However, does a team go from winning 2 games 3 years ago, and immediately look to schedule a juggernaut group, no, they win for a few years and build the program up. I don't say back up, because it has never been up. I, along with any other fan of Thomas Walker, will tell you they have a long way to go, but they are working at it the same way Hurley did for years. You said they went and scheduled tougher teams, not until they had played that same schedule for 5 or 6 years. Then they went 10-0 and scheduled tougher teams. Thomas Walker was 2-8 2 years ago, played the same schedule the last cycle, went 6-5 and 7-4. This cycle they tried to schedule more Va. teams, but no one wants to come to Ewing, so there in is one of the main problems. I just don't understand all the hatred for a small Single A school all the time, from a fan of the AA State Champions. You say I poked the bear, I simply said make fun of the schedule because you always have something to say about it. Is the schedule hard, nope, but for a school in the middle of nowhere, struggling for money, 25-30 players on a good year, who has a history of not winning, I think it is pretty measurable for now. If winning continues and 6 years from now they don't play any better teams, I will say you told us so. 

2 hours ago, huh said:

TW said their schedule was full when Hurley's AD called needing a game. Conflicting story there with the TW poster. Hurley just filled their schedule in January. Holston and Northwood were the last two signed. So I kind of doubt the schedule was full when the Hurley AD called the TW AD. I'm not sure when the AD called but he has been working on the new schedule since the beginning of the 2018 season. So let's say since August. Scheduling schools is tough when you are isolated like Hurley or TW. Hurley had three teams drop out last minute due to either finding a closer game (Tolsia WV, Harlan Ind, Montcalm) or schedule conflict (Phelps, KY). Phelps, since they have got better, is a good gate money game that both schools lose on. The schools are only 17 miles apart and the Pike, Co school bus and Buchanan Co school buses travel on the same routes. 

Not sure of the dates but Hurley's new schedule is

Rye Cove, Auburn, Riverview, Patrick Henry, Northwood, Holston, Grundy, Honaker, Tug Valley, Twin Valley 

Side note.....a poster made a funny remark about Riverview and Hurley both dropping Tazewell. The teams did because they wanted the teams to travel to Tazewell back to back years. Offered each school a small sum. Both AD's said no thanks we will fine someone else. Union wanted the same as well. 

You are correct, TW did speak with Hurley after Harlan mixed dates. Harlan changed to another date which was the date Hurley had. 4 hours on a bus to play a 4-6 team or 50 minutes on a bus to play a 4-6 team is what that comes down to. Not a knock on Hurley at all, but again location kills both schools. 

I'll be blunt,

Its we play a beefy schedule, it is this

We travel every year while only having 3 home games (cause we all know NO ONE WANTS TO COME TO EWING). If we do get a Va team it is cause They are desperate enough to make the return the trip. Heck even Harlan ky (6th closest school) wanted to drop us till they couldn't find a 10th which is stated above.

Or we play teams that bring the money for us to continue football. It helps those games are enjoyable and have built our fan base.

Scheduling can be complex.  I dont blame TW one bit for trying to get Cumberland Gap, Harlan, Claiborne County, Hancock, Pineville or Middlesboro for their out of district games.  Winning leads to revenue and revenue is coveted by all schools.  TW is a lot better than Hancock at the moment.  Other than that, these other teams I have listed are at TW's skill level, or better and under an hour away I believe.  

27 closest Schools to Ewing with enrollment (Shortest to Longest Distance)(Im sure I have forgotten One or two) (Didnt add Sullivan due to consolidation)

Kids    School     Miles

554    (TN)C gap    20.7
360    (KY)Middlesboro     20.9
727    (KY)Bell    26
    Lee High    27
749    (TN)Claiborne    29
187    (KY)Pineville    30
315    (TN)Hancock    39
832    (KY)Knox Central    42
    Union    48
    Rye Cove    50
850    (TN)Union County    50
216    (KY)Harlan Independent    51
1385    (TN)Campbell County    51
1071    (KY)Harlan County    55
918    (TN)Grainger    54
    Gate city    56
1161    (TN)Cherokee    57
    Burton    60
1152    (TN)Volunteer    62
    Wise - Central    63
2208    (TN) Dobyns Bennett    65
    Eastside    70
    Twin Springs    72
126    (KY)Jenkins    82
    Castlewood    84
848    (KY)Letcher County     90
    Lebanon    92

Patrick Henry    105
    Holston    108
    Honaker    108
    Grundy    124
    Tazewell    131
    Hurley    135

http://tssaa.org/school-classifications-by-sport-2017-2021/#di-football      
https://khsaa.org/reports/enrollments/20172018schoolenrollmenttotalsbyenroll.pdf      

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:27 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

Ridgeview's schedule has been finalized.  Though I don't know what dates they will be played on, this is what is known:

Opening game will be Thursday night, August 29 against J. I. Burton.

The other three non-conference opponents are Pikeville (probable loss, if they're anything like they normally are) and Shelby Valley and Honaker (probable wins).

Rumor has it that Adkins wont be back next year, again just a rumor, and a couple bigger players will be missing from the sidelines as well.  If this is the case then Ridgeview will be in worse shape than they thought.

22 hours ago, Bigtom said:

Rumor has it that Adkins wont be back next year, again just a rumor, and a couple bigger players will be missing from the sidelines as well.  If this is the case then Ridgeview will be in worse shape than they thought.

Not shocked by the Adkins rumor. Where is he looking to go play?

2019 Ridgeview Wolfpack schedule

• 8/15  vs. Tazewell (scrimmage)
  • 8/22       (benefit game ????)
  • 8/28  at   J. I. Burton (Thursday night)
  • 9/6    vs. Shelby Valley (KY)
  • 9/13  at  Wise Central
  • 9/20  vs. Gate City
  • 9/27  vs. Lee High
  • 10/11 at Union
  • 10/18 at John Battle
  • 10/25 vs. Abingdon
  • 11/1  at Pikeville (KY)
  • 11/8  vs. Honaker

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

He's not transferring.

Not from what I heard.. I have heard David Crockett and maybe a school in FL  also heard a few more may go to rival schools.  Again all of this is rumors as of now and you know what they say about rumors, take what you hear and belive half of it.  But never the less I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some shifting .  I hope he does stay but would love to see him in that warrior red and black.  Never the less Ridgeview will still be suffering from the graduation bug as they lose the qb and entire o line not to mention sexton and Sproles and recievers.

8 hours ago, Bigtom said:

Not from what I heard.. I have heard David Crockett and maybe a school in FL  also heard a few more may go to rival schools.  Again all of this is rumors as of now and you know what they say about rumors, take what you hear and belive half of it.  But never the less I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some shifting .  I hope he does stay but would love to see him in that warrior red and black.  Never the less Ridgeview will still be suffering from the graduation bug as they lose the qb and entire o line not to mention sexton and Sproles and recievers.

Pretty sure havok has talked directly to Trenton’s parents. He’s not transferring. 

On 2/7/2019 at 11:51 AM, Bigtom said:

Trenton is Definitely  not going to Crockett  or any NETN Team unless that was Greenville. If he does leave he needs to go to a School with Top Notch Level Coaching that will help get him to be ready to come into college ready to contribute. Preferably  guys who have played at a High Level with the type of Knowledge  of the Game that will take him to another level as a player.  He also needs to be some where that's gonna make him grow academically and get him ready for the academic side of this Football Life.

• 3 weeks later...