2019 schedules

ojrussell

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 8:43 PM, UVAObserver said:

Why would you all re-up with Letcher?! They get calls in KY that would make Duke basketball blush.

We tried to pick up Science Hill and it was thought to be a done deal but they wanted a home and home deal.

• 1 month later...

UNION 2019 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

AUG-15      @  Elizabethton--Scrimmage (Thursday)

AUG-23       H   Virginia High--Scrimmage

AUG-30       @  Lee High

SEP-6          H   Richlands

SEP-13        @ Letcher Central (KY)

SEP-20        @ Graham

SEP-27         H Gate City

OCT-4           H Paintsville (KY)

OCT-11         H Ridgeview

OCT-18         @ Central

OCT-25    BYE WEEK

NOV-1          @ Abingdon

NOV-8          H John Battle

@=AWAY GAMES

H= HOME GAMES   

7-3 would be a FANTASTIC season for the Bears. 6-4 seems like the likely outcome but they could be a tough out in the playoffs if they gel on offense and finds a QB.

Lee, Wise, GC, Battle, and Letcher should be Ws. Richlands, Paintsville and Ridgeview are toss up being at home, but at Graham and Abingdon are Ls.

20 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

7-3 would be a FANTASTIC season for the Bears. 6-4 seems like the likely outcome but they could be a tough out in the playoffs if they gel on offense and finds a QB.

Lee, Wise, GC, Battle, and Letcher should be Ws. Richlands, Paintsville and Ridgeview are toss up being at home, but at Graham and Abingdon are Ls.

with andy jones transferring looks like brody gibson will be the guy. thats what im hearing

6 hours ago, The U Bear said:

with andy jones transferring looks like brody gibson will be the guy. thats what im hearing

6 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Same. 

With what am hearing... They are going to be a kid from Wise that might be in the mix also.

I don't know name or anything about him..

25 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

heard that kid doesn't wanna play QB.

That could be very true...Just passing on what I heard when pick up my son.

Also heard some good things about the running backs that they got returning

1 hour ago, UNION#ATW said:

That could be very true...Just passing on what I heard when pick up my son.

Also heard some good things about the running backs that they got returning

that will be the best unit on the team most likely, that and the DL or LBs (depending on Polier, I'm hearing he's back to DE this year). You've got Polier, Guerrant and Lomax all being tough, punishing runners. Maybe one more kid used strictly for speed with jet sweeps or tosses.

On 5/30/2019 at 1:09 AM, BigWinners said:

6-4 is what I come up with also but I can also see 8-2 if the o-line gels early in the season

24 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

6-4 is what I come up with also but I can also see 8-2 if the o-line gels early in the season

I just can't see 8-2, that's winning every home game plus the winnable road games. Union plays much much better at home, but I can't see them sweeping Richlands, Ridgeview and Paintsville. 

another little hunch I have:

That trip to Letcher, third week of the season, could be a disaster. I don't get why you would ever go over there and play. It's a zoo man! Have you been? The officiating is atrociois, it's the most unwelcoming environment I've ever traveled to for a Union game sans maybe Breathitt County, and you know it's gonna be chaos. The last trip over, with Mitchell and that great 2017 team, didn't pull away until the fourth. This isn't that team. Even with a W, they're basically worthless power point wise. I cannot understand why we keep this game.

Bring back Burton! Forget this BS going to BFE KY and playing 11-on-15, let's see if we can't find a way to fix whatever happened and get JIB back on the schedule. Hell, I'd rather see Eastside, or Lebanon, or Marion, or any other VA team if you can't find any NE TN teams open. It's the very definition of a trap game, after what's always an emotional Richlands game and a week before going to Graham. A loss to Letcher could be disastrous and Union could be 5-5 on the road at a place like Graham in round one of the playoffs. 

On 5/30/2019 at 1:09 AM, BigWinners said:

Dont go counting those wins just yet because anything can happen. Last years game if it had not been for 2 bad calls the outcome might have been different down on Battle Hill.

1 hour ago, grandpaw trojan said:

Dont go counting those wins just yet because anything can happen. Last years game if it had not been for 2 bad calls the outcome might have been different down on Battle Hill.

Those 2 blown calls must have been TDs; Battle got shut out. 

1 was the 1st TD catch the rec. landed out of bounds (a photo shows it), 2nd was the fumble in your deep in your side of the field (sure looked like the backs knee was down before the ball came out). all I was trying to say is anything can happen, a hurt player, fumble, interception, or a bad call can change a game an when you go counting out teams before the season begins is just wrong.

18 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

Those 2 blown calls must have been TDs; Battle got shut out. 

On 2/4/2019 at 2:10 PM, huh said:

Is it a difficult schedule, not for Graham or any other AA school, so I am sure the defending AA state champions JV would go 9-1. What single A schedule is oh so tough that it deserves praise? Patrick Henry played a Cumberland schedule last season, but not a word about that. Grundy played West Va and Ky. Schools becuase they are close, yet not a word. 

I know many schools in Virginia were contacted including PH, Holston, Hurley, Honaker and Union but dates didn’t work or schedules were full. 

All the teams you mentioned are hours away, which means no revenue for TW, and at a small school no revenue equals no team. 

And just to set the record straight TW went to Grundy in the playoffs, so they had the 4 hour trip. I figured a football guru like yourself would know the little details.

Why exactly is a Graham fan worrying about little school who they will never have anything to do with anyway? You used to do the same to Hurley when they had a good season. 

Grahams JV would not go 9-1 sorry lol lol funniest thing I've read 

13 hours ago, GDUB said:

Grahams JV would not go 9-1 sorry lol lol funniest thing I've read 

Graham’s JV would go 9-1 against the backwater schools that populate TW’s schedule.  So would multiple 2A schools’ JV teams in this area.  Perhaps if TW wouldn’t reject home/home offers from Hurley and Patrick Henry, they wouldn’t open themselves up to criticism.  But way to respond to a post 3 months after it was made, congrats!

On 2/4/2019 at 2:10 PM, huh said:

What single A schedule is oh so tough that it deserves praise?

I missed this before and can't resist commenting.  Galax doesn't duck anybody and has arguably the toughest Class 1 schedule in Virginia year in and year out!

• Radford - Have played every season since 2005 - Radford was the 2018 Class 2 runner-up - Only regular season loss was to Galax 41-21 @ Radford.
  • Glenvar - Have played every season since 2011 - 2014 Class 2 state champion.
  • Altivista - Played 2013 and 2014 - Won 2 consecutive Class 1 state championships in 2013 and 2014.
  • Giles - Played from 2013-2016 - 2014 Class 2 state champion.
  • Northside - Scheduled for 2017-2020 - Class 3 quarter-finalist each of the past 2 seasons.
  • Martinsville - Scheduled 2019-2020 - Solid Class 2 program with rich tradition.  
  • Graham - Played from 2011-2016 - 2018 Class 3 state champion.
  • Fort Chiswell, Grayson County and George Wythe are all district opponents.

If you'll notice, many of these games overlap seasons, meaning Galax played many of these teams in the same season.  There's something to be said for being battle-tested!

43 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I missed this before and can't resist commenting.  Galax doesn't duck anybody and has arguably the toughest Class 1 schedule in Virginia year in and year out!

• Radford - Have played every season since 2005 - Radford was the 2018 Class 2 runner-up - Only regular season loss was to Galax 41-21 @ Radford.
  • Glenvar - Have played every season since 2011 - 2014 Class 2 state champion.
  • Altivista - Played 2013 and 2014 - Won 2 consecutive Class 1 state championships in 2013 and 2014.
  • Giles - Played from 2013-2016 - 2014 Class 2 state champion.
  • Northside - Scheduled for 2017-2020 - Class 3 quarter-finalist each of the past 2 seasons.
  • Martinsville - Scheduled 2019-2020 - Solid Class 2 program with rich tradition.  
  • Graham - Played from 2011-2016 - 2018 Class 3 state champion.
  • Fort Chiswell, Grayson County and George Wythe are all district opponents.

If you'll notice, many of these games overlap seasons, meaning Galax played many of these teams in the same season.  There's something to be said for being battle-tested!

I wish I could like this multiple times.  Galax is obviously the exception and not the rule, but even if Galax went 5-5, I’d respect the Hell out of them for playing the competition they do.  

Many schools don’t duck competition.  Grundy’s played 2A schools even after its drop.  Patrick Henry plays good competition.  JIB played Union for several years.  Even Hurley wised up and has scheduled tougher ever since that 10-0 season a few years back.  I’m sensitive to the geography, but opportunities exist.

5 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I wish I could like this multiple times.  Galax is obviously the exception and not the rule, but even if Galax went 5-5, I’d respect the Hell out of them for playing the competition they do. 

Galax did go 6-4 in 2015 and won the Class 1 state championship over Riverheads.  Several small schools in our area as well as across the state schedule quality competition but many pad the schedule with Little Debbie snack cakes.  Essex and Riverheads have always scheduled quality opponents and the results speak for themselves.  Haysi and Clintwood never ducked anybody. 

6 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Graham’s JV would go 9-1 against the backwater schools that populate TW’s schedule.  So would multiple 2A schools’ JV teams in this area.  Perhaps if TW wouldn’t reject home/home offers from Hurley and Patrick Henry, they wouldn’t open themselves up to criticism.  But way to respond to a post 3 months after it was made, congrats!

Front the money then

7 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I know what they have on jv! Would not go 9-1 hahaha not a chance 

7 hours ago, UVAObserver said: