Chilhowie Field

WarDog

Haha them approving the field yesterday is. Is no indication as to what it will be like on Saturday with several days of rain.

Something is very fishy here. My wife works at Emory and was told that Emory approved them to use the field on Saturday. As well as Radford high-school posted on their Facebook page that their game has been moved to  Salem stadium, due to weather coming in. Said it was a VHSL decision not theirs. Radfird hasn't played in thier filed in weeks and should be in good shape. 

Chilhowie will win either way in my prediction. 

2 minutes ago, Smyhcounty said:

Exactly,  they don’t get involved with the weather they just inspect the field prior to to play make sure it’s in playable shape. 

Then why did the game get moved to Emory then?

The VHSL Twitter account specifically declares weather as the reason the game was moved.

5 hours ago, ShadyMcGrady said:

Ive seen both teams play Galax more than Chilhowie and it could be played on Mars but Chilhowie wins. Too many weapons to contain. 

Chilhowie is the favorite anywhere on Earth; however, the lower gravitational force on Mars would clearly favor Galax's passing game.

How Would Football Work if You Played It on Mars?

https://www.wired.com/2015/10/physics-how-would-you-play-football-on-mars/

In case you're thinking that folks from Marion and Saltville are universally pulling for an embarrassing end to Chilhowie's season, Marion's tourism and economic director has written the state legislature about the subject. 

I. Kid. You. Not.

So the VHSL has moved Saturday’s game from Chilhowie stadium to Emory & Henry - from natural surface to artificial turf - just three days prior to the big game.   I’m reading folks have called the VHSL to express their concerns, to no avail.  

I’ve reached out to our legislators, knowing this isn’t a decision of theirs or one of which they even have say, but I’d imagine their voices might carry a little more weight than mine.

Here’s my email to Senator Bill Carrico, Delegate Jeff Campbell, and Delegate Israel O’Quinn.  I have tremendous respect for these men, and I’m certain they’d like to at least be aware of the situation.

In the meantime, let’s pray for a safe, clean, honest game for our young men.   And personally, from this former resident - GO WARRIORS!

Gentlemen:

As you’re probably hearing, VHSL has, three days before the playoff, decided to move Saturday’s game from the natural grass field to the artificial turf at Emory & Henry, citing poor field conditions.  It is my understanding that the VHSL met with Chilhowie staff and provided a list of corrective actions, which I also understand have been completed, but the governing body decided to relocate the game anyway.

The CHS concession stand is stocked, the Christmas parade moved, and the community is ready for a fair shot at winning.   I’m all for safety for everyone, especially the student athletes competing, but this just seems so wrong.    

I know this isn’t necessarily your purview, but it’s an issue that is very important to a great number of our neighbors, your constituents.  While you all serve a large geographic area, with fans from both teams, I’m certain neither would want the perception of changing the rules to suit their team, so I can’t imagine either team (or their fans) supporting this move, especially at this late date.

The forecast for both Chilhowie and Emory has a chance of showers and temperatures in the 50s.  Football has been played in much worse conditions for generations.  

Let’s let them just play ball.

Any assistance or insight you can offer, as always, is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ken Heath

Wow! Really? 

Being someone who lives near  the area it's - well I'll just not go there. 

The field may look good in the picture last night  although the pictures and comments of the condition  in the Bristol herald of the PH game, I am sure did not help things.. That was after light rain Friday night. It has been raining here since around midnight last night an is suppose to continue throughout weekend. That field will be a much different than in the picture 

The field was approved by VHSL earlier in the week after local reps looked at the field, then sent another set later in the week they sent their own people to look at multiple different fields that day, why I do not know but all three games got moved not just Chilhowie. This is not a conspiracy against Chilhowie. 

This move is 10 minutes away, it is not like it was moved to Salem Stadium and took out of the local area. Chilhowie does not get the gate money either way. I do not understand why Chilhowies fans are fighting this so much. The move benefits Chilhowie with running spread misdirection attack more than Galax which lines up and just comes at you. 

Again all three games got moved. A move to a turf field was not to suit Galax or anyone else I am sure they would of liked to have known earlier in the week as well as I am sure they have been practicing on grass all week..  This was a wise choice. 

1 hour ago, Topper24 said:

This move is 10 minutes away, it is not like it was moved to Salem Stadium and took out of the local area. Chilhowie does not get the gate money either way. I do not understand why Chilhowies fans are fighting this so much. The move benefits Chilhowie with running spread misdirection attack more than Galax which lines up and just comes at you. 

It is so much more than that.  It was earned by the VHSL power points system. Its home field advantage (self explanatory). Its the concession money that benefits the sports programs.  It is the positive financial impact that the town businesses and community will benefit from. Its the community rallying around this team and hosting game day events and functions.  Chilhowie is a small close knit community and feel these things were taken away from them without any consideration.  Its one thing to know you were going to be playing at a neutral site for the last 4 weeks.  Its another to change it less that 48 hours before the Kickoff!  

Look I understand your and their concerns and disappointment.  Although the post I have seen in social media this morning about calling Galax a bunch #$$##0because they didn't want to play in the mud and they are the reason it got moved is petty and simply not the case. That's not how the VHSL works, three games got moved. I think the surrounding areas would be more simpathetic to the communities complaints if all that was not being spewed all over social media. Galax had no say in it, the school admins no this to be true yet they continue to let their community think this is the case. Look Galax beat us twice this year and I am all for Chilhowie getting the win, although people saying what they are social media is just making Chilhowie look bad. To be honest it is placing an ugly blemish on what is a stellar moment  for your community. I completely get the financial impact to the community, I heard Galax had went out and spent a couple of thousand dollars on new cleats for their players just for this game. 

I am sure their is people on here from Chilhowies administration reading this, so step up and ensure the misplaced anger at the fans of Galax is placed where it should be on the VHSL.  

Sorry rant over and good luck. 

12 minutes ago, Topper24 said:

Look I understand your and their concerns and disappointment.  Although the post I have seen in social media this morning about calling Galax a bunch #$$##0because they didn't want to play in the mud and they are the reason it got moved is petty and simply not the case. That's not how the VHSL works, three games got moved. I think the surrounding areas would be more simpathetic to the communities complaints if all that was not being spewed all over social media. Galax had no say in it, the school admins no this to be true yet they continue to let their community think this is the case. Look Galax beat us twice this year and I am all for Chilhowie getting the win, although people saying what they are social media is just making Chilhowie look bad. To be honest it is placing an ugly blemish on what is a stellar moment  for your community. I completely get the financial impact to the community, I heard Galax had went out and spent a couple of thousand dollars on new cleats for their players just for this game. 

I am sure their is people on here from Chilhowies administration reading this, so step up and ensure the misplaced anger at the fans of Galax is placed where it should be on the VHSL.  

Sorry rant over and good luck. 

Hopefully the whole community isn't judge by a couple of over hyped ranting of a few people. Some have legitimate opinions but some just blow it way out of proportion. As for me, as a Warrior fan and parent, it doesn't matter where it is played. I feel Chilhowie will win either place. I'm sure the seniors would have like to have known that last week was the last time that they would be playing in Warrior stadium. It would have probably made that win must more sweeter. But ever community has those over the top ranters. I know it was VHSL decision but I sure, after hearing about the field and seeing pictures, there were some calls for concern made. But I'm not going as far to say it was another community that caused the decision. 

358t9gm.jpg

VHSL has decided to give Chilhowie another shot at playing the game on their own field Saturday.  The rain in supposed to stop tonight and several prominent citizens have persuaded the Trump administration to deploy a couple of Blackhawk Helicopters to dry off the field before kickoff.