VA Semifinals / WV Championship Updates

Deleted Account

11 minutes ago, swva_fan said:

Anybody know why the play clocks were not used at Salem stadium today?

They turned them off last year in the Union/Appo game too. Apparently, it's a VHSL rule to not use them in the semifinals in the event that the visiting team doesn't have them on their home field so as to not create an advantage for the home team. At least that's what we were told last year.

10 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

They turned them off last year in the Union/Appo game too. Apparently, it's a VHSL rule to not use them in the semifinals in the event that the visiting team doesn't have them on their home field so as to not create an advantage for the home team. At least that's what we were told last year.

Man that's such a weird rule, and a weird explanation. How are they an advantage? Too bright for the teams who doesn't have em?

8 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Graham was the "visitor" today ... and Mitchell Stadium has play clocks. Does anyone know if the "home" team ... Radford ... has play clocks at Bobcat Stadium?

2 minutes ago, Null said:

Man that's such a weird rule, and a weird explanation. How are they an advantage? Too bright for the teams who doesn't have em?

2 minutes ago, starcityfootballfan said:

Graham was the "visitor" today ... and Mitchell Stadium has play clocks. Does anyone know if the "home" team ... Radford ... has play clocks at Bobcat Stadium?

They were on at Union at the start of the game and then there was a stoppage. Then the clocks went off. We thought they were malfunctioning. A little later, word came down about the rule. Pretty sure Appo has them too. I thought it was strange and ridiculous as well.

19 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

They were on at Union at the start of the game and then there was a stoppage. Then the clocks went off. We thought they were malfunctioning. A little later, word came down about the rule. Pretty sure Appo has them too. I thought it was strange and ridiculous as well.

I know buddy ... Graham got popped for at least two "too much time" penalties. Not having that play clock ... especially in state semis ... is as you said perfectly "strange and ridiculous."

8 hours ago, starcityfootballfan said:

Radford hit the REGION D brick wall! Hard!

So hard, they probably still don't know what hit them... Congratulations to Bobcats though, they came out on top for their region after a dismal 2017! They can hold their heads high; they had a great season! 

On 12/1/2018 at 2:44 PM, Single_A_Fan said:

Bullsh!t. Clean catch. Where you getting your info?

On 12/1/2018 at 2:49 PM, Tiger_Tilt said:

Looked like a clean catch to me too but I've been wrong before. 2 different refs called it a catch.

He got it from me on Facebook.  Happened right in front of me and the ball definitely hit the ground before he intercepted it.  Before you get all upset, I was on the Chilhowie side and were pulling for them.

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

He got it from me on Facebook.  Happened right in front of me and the ball definitely hit the ground before he intercepted it.  Before you get all upset, I was on the Chilhowie side and were pulling for them.

I was sitting with Galax's band and thought it hit the ground.  But with both officials making the same call, I gave them the benefit of the doubt.  I'm surprised to see all the vitriol over the officiating.  I thought it was a well officiated game.  That was the only play I thought could have been an issue.  I also like that the officials let the kids play and be a bit physical, as football should!

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

I was sitting with Galax's band and thought it hit the ground.  But with both officials making the same call, I gave them the benefit of the doubt.  I'm surprised to see all the vitriol over the officiating.  I thought it was a well officiated game.  That was the only play I thought could have been an issue.  I also like that the officials let the kids play and be a bit physical, as football should!

We had a really good group assigned to that game IMO.  I was going to be surprised if there was much of an issue with officiating with those guys.

4 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

The official who made the initial call was standing behind the play, there is no way he could see if he caught it. The second official who made the call was coming in from the side, did not signal until he saw the back  judge make the call. The ball clearly skipped on the ground Into his hands. That call  and the knocking down of Galax receiver while the ball was in the air the first play of the second half that lead to a big interception return was game changers. 

The DBs was being aloud alot of holding. Chilhowies DBs was extremely aggressive and I believe it was part of their game plan to risk a flag versus letting their receivers get separation. Even after they got called multiple times they still did it.  A couple of times Galax had a couple of big hits on Cale that was probably late. 

4 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

You're welcome, I never threw you under the bus lol. I trust your judgement but I still didn't wanna put your name on it in case the film shows an angle you didn't see and it was clean haha

8 minutes ago, Topper24 said:

The official who made the initial call was standing behind the play, there is no way he could see if he caught it. The second official who made the call was coming in from the side, did not signal until he saw the back  judge make the call. The ball clearly skipped on the ground Into his hands. That call  and the knocking down of Galax receiver while the ball was in the air the first play of the second half that lead to a big interception return was game changers. 

The DBs was being aloud alot of holding. Chilhowies DBs was extremely aggressive and I believe it was part of their game plan to risk a flag versus letting their receivers get separation. Even after they got called multiple times they still did it.  A couple of times Galax had a couple of big hits on Cale that was probably late. 

Truthfully that's not bad strategy. The officials won't call it every play and if you're afraid the WRs will burn you deep,.you'll be way more physical and dare the officials to call it a every play. Maybe not the most honest strategy but it's extremely tactical.

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

You're welcome, I never threw you under the bus lol. I trust your judgement but I still didn't wanna put your name on it in case the film shows an angle you didn't see and it was clean haha

I fear no one son.  I may walk through the valley of the shadow of death, but I fear no keyboard warrior.  😄

10 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Like I said, I've been wrong before. I to was sitting right at the 40 on Chilhowie side, so I was pretty close to the play too. And 2 different refs did call it a catch is all I said.