Graham/Goochland: VA 2A Championship

Deleted Account

15 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Count me among those who was touting East Rock as the prohibitive favorite.  Their 28-0 win over Riverheads convinced me they would run the table in 2A.    Crow always tastes nasty.

Back in the early 80's, people in the area (me included) thought after Appalachia thumped Fieldale-Collinsville that the Dawgs beating Central for the state title would be a formality. That was the last time I ever took a game for granted without having  seen both teams play. 

When Aaron Edwards and Riley came on board it was a huge boast to the Graham defense, plus it allowed Reed to just play on the offensive side of the ball, Reed run well and also is a good receiver as you could see in the game against Radford. Allen is playing lights out and now has confidence in other receivers besides Lester. I saw Graham in a scrimmage game against Glenvar and they basically where beaten by two touchdowns and I for sure thought it was going to be a long season for the G-MEN, boy was I wrong, never seen a team improve and jell like this team! Taken Graham over Goochland by 7!

1 hour ago, JDHoss said:

Back in the early 80's, people in the area (me included) thought after Appalachia thumped Fieldale-Collinsville that the Dawgs beating Central for the state title would be a formality. That was the last time I ever took a game for granted without having  seen both teams play. 

I'm a slow learner when it comes to guaranteeing state titles. My "Can't Miss" list includes:

Appy ('93), Graham ('01), Richlands ('10), and George Wythe ('11).

1 hour ago, JDHoss said:

The Chilhowie forfeit season was the other storyline alongside Appalachia in 1980. The Warriors had possibly the best team in school history. Their fans are still convinced they would have won state.  Truth is they MIGHT of had a shot at Appy but nobody was beating Lunenburg Central that year.    

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I'm a slow learner when it comes to guaranteeing state titles. My "Can't Miss" list includes:

Appy ('93), Graham ('01), Richlands ('10), and George Wythe ('11).

I knew that 2001 Graham team very well.  Let’s just say, they weren’t right in the head AT ALL for that game.  Lots of talk about setting a VHSL championship points record that week...

2 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

The Chilhowie forfeit season was the other storyline alongside Appalachia in 1980. The Warriors had possibly the best team in school history. Their fans are still convinced they would have won state.  Truth is they MIGHT of had a shot at Appy but nobody was beating Lunenburg Central that year.    

Yeah....Appy didn't play well, but on Appy's best day they couldn't have gotten within 3 TD of that Central team. I spoke to Chippie Chapel (SP?) about an hour or so before kickoff and I said  "man, you guys had a long trip down here". He grinned and said "yeah, but we came to play." That was for damn sure. 

10 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Graham has not seen anyone with any talent close to what Bluefield had since they played Bluefield. Goochland is close. Goochland has a rookie coach but the old one that led them to so much success is now the AD and still around to help. Graham 28-27.

I think you are correct, Goochland will be the best team they've played since their loss to Bluefield but on an up note, Graham is definitely not the same team as that first game either. If we got by record & seed , then Goochland is the favorite. Seeing Graham play lights out Saturday, Goochland will have their hands full. IMO 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

I think you are correct, Goochland will be the best team they've played since their loss to Bluefield but on an up note, Graham is definitely not the same team as that first game either. If we got by record & seed , then Goochland is the favorite. Seeing Graham play lights out Saturday, Goochland will have their hands full. IMO 

Very true...I hope that Graham pulls out the win, I don’t know very much about Goochland, but based upon both teams seasons Goochland seems to be the better team. Here’s what I’ve looked at.... Goochland avgs 32.8 pts, there opponents avg 7.5 ....Graham avgs 40.9 pts their opponents avg 10.9. Goochland has beaten Amelia County (9-2), King William (9-2) Poquoson (9-4) and East Rockingham (13-1)....Graham notable wins against Richlands (8-5), Union (9-3) and Radford (12-2). I don’t know much about Goochland or their opponents and was cruious about how Graham and Goochland match up? Also as a side question for the “old heads” how many times has Graham and Bluefield both made it to the state finals in the same year?

30 minutes ago, BoomStick said:

Very true...I hope that Graham pulls out the win, I don’t know very much about Goochland, but based upon both teams seasons Goochland seems to be the better team. Here’s what I’ve looked at.... Goochland avgs 32.8 pts, there opponents avg 7.5 ....Graham avgs 40.9 pts their opponents avg 10.9. Goochland has beaten Amelia County (9-2), King William (9-2) Poquoson (9-4) and East Rockingham (13-1)....Graham notable wins against Richlands (8-5), Union (9-3) and Radford (12-2). I don’t know much about Goochland or their opponents and was cruious about how Graham and Goochland match up? Also as a side question for the “old heads” how many times has Graham and Bluefield both made it to the state finals in the same year?

They play in the James River District and most of those teams are not very good except for maybe Amelia and Buckingham which are descent.  Bluestone, Prince Edward, Randolph Henry, Cumberand are all about on the level of Tazewell, Lebanon, Princeton no offense to those schools.  Cumberland is perpetually one of the worst teams in the state and actually petitioned a couple years back to not have to play Goochland because of the large margins of defeat, even though they were in the same district.  So, no they havent had a tougher schedule IMO.  Not by much anyway.  

9 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

They play in the James River District and most of those teams are not very good except for maybe Amelia and Buckingham which are descent.  Bluestone, Prince Edward, Randolph Henry, Cumberand are all about on the level of Tazewell, Lebanon, Princeton no offense to those schools.  Cumberland is perpetually one of the worst teams in the state and actually petitioned a couple years back to not have to play Goochland because of the large margins of defeat, even though they were in the same district.  So, no they havent had a tougher schedule IMO.  Not by much anyway.  

Hey good info...makes the matchup much more interesting! What about Goochland? I found like two videos on there program from this year I believe the Poquoson and East Rockingham games...are they as good as advertised? I mean they have made it to the State Championship, but what sort of offense do they run, what are they traditionally known for?

17 minutes ago, BoomStick said:

Hey good info...makes the matchup much more interesting! What about Goochland? I found like two videos on there program from this year I believe the Poquoson and East Rockingham games...are they as good as advertised? I mean they have made it to the State Championship, but what sort of offense do they run, what are they traditionally known for?

From what I found online of Goochland , they have speed. Graham hasn't really played teams that can match their speed other than Bluefield. I think it will be a hard win either way but hoping GMen set pace and play their game and are able to make any necessary adjustments to win. 

Graham is going to have to play their game and know that this will not be a gimme game for sure.  As long as the coaches keep the players from imploding, I think Graham wins by a TD or more.  Both teams deserve to be there, and I'm glad to know that SWVA is going to be represented, but the state championship games I have seen usually come down to penalties, attitudes, and turn-overs.  I hope both teams play injury free and show good sportsmanship.  Go Graham, bring home the hardware!!!

15 hours ago, BoomStick said:

From a really "old head"  😉 ...

The year was 1995 ... Bluefield and Graham both played for the state championship in their respective states!

Graham upset a very talented ... and  heavily favored ... King George team in Fredricksburg for the D3 title. A major snow and ice storm hit the Commonwealth the day before and the game day conditions were not much better. My family drove down from Bluefield ... met me in Roanoke ... and we hit the road the day before the game to ensure that we would be there. Well worth the trip!

Unfortunately, on the WV side ... #3 Bluefield lost to Musselman in the championship game that was played in Wheeling. If I am not mistaken,  Musselman entered the WV playoff bracket that year as the #16 seed! 

The team that was better than King George was the semifinal game against W. Campbell. I think we scored on a David Bailey int pick 6, or it set up a score, but we couldn't move the ball and W. Campbell moved it better than Graham did. Graham probably should have lost that game, but carma happens because Graham should have won the game over Rustburg in the semis in 1990, but lost.

Lots of could of would of should of, but I think the GMen should have 1 more title. My opinion only, but we should have won it in 1990, lost it in 1995, and won it in 2000. Of those 3 teams, the 1995 was probably not better than the other two, but it's all about matchups, peaking at the right time, and turnovers 

3 hours ago, starcityfootballfan said:

Unfortunately, on the WV side ... #3 Bluefield lost to Musselman in the championship game that was played in Wheeling. If I am not mistaken,  Musselman entered the WV playoff bracket that year as the #16 seed! 

Musselman was indeed the #16 seed that season. I remember Bluefield was heavily favored by many to beat them and win the championship and there seemed to be a lot of excitement in the city the week going into that game. That game was the game that taught me as a fan that nothing is guaranteed and that you can never underestimate any opponent  Bluefield plays in any given year especially in the post season. Graham went on to win their state championship the following week as a heavy underdog it seemed and it was the Virginia side boys that ended up bringing the title back home, which was cool and seemed to make things better. So since we didn't get a repeat of 1962, hopefully we get a repeat of 1995 where the G-Men can bring their Virginia state title back home to the Bluefield area. Good luck Saturday, the whole community supports you!!

2 minutes ago, blfdfan04 said:

My niece's husband was a freshman on that 1995 Bluefield squad! He and I discussed that particular year at length this past Thanksgiving! Talking about deja vu!

I was hoping and praying for a Bluefield victory this past Friday. I only pull against Bluefield in football one time a year .... and you know when that is! 😉

Hopefully, Graham will bring back the VHSL state title on Saturday night and both communities can wake up on Sunday morning with a little more hardware and a lot more pride!

#twincities #bluefieldbeavers #grahamgmen